Tidal Lossless Streaming
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #4,156 of 5,203
It is very strange indeed. I noticed the same difference between Tidal and Qobuz Hi-Hi sound. I was the one calling it more boomy.
But on the other hand I have all the trouble in the world hearing any difference between 320 ogg Vorbis Spotify premium and Qobuz Hi-Fi.
I'm confused :smile_phones:

I did some more tests and on some examples (https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-aka-is-spotify-premium-andor-hi-fi-worth-it/) I thought I could hear a difference between the 3 samples. But in these particular cases I choose the 160 file as the FLAC one.
At least I know now that a premium Spotify service is enough for my ears and stereo system.

Also interesting link : https://www.npr.org/sections/therec...ou-did-slightly-better-than-guessing-randomly

Seems I'm not the only one who has trouble hearing a difference between 320 and CD quality.
Guess I should be glad, saves my wallet every month.

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,157 of 5,203
Tidal on Android - latest Tidal upgrade issue:

Anyone else experiencing stuttering and stuck tracks after the latest mobile Android app update?

I am using HiBY R6 Android 6.0.1, Tidal 2.11.4.899.11

Thanks.

My Tidal was recently updated to 2.11.4.889.11 --is this your version? (not 899.11?) ? I have Tidal Hi Fi and a FiiO X5III w/Android 5.1.1.

I've been testing it with various music, HiFi, Masters, and I tested four tracks in a playlist called 1 Demo Music and the first three tracks no problem. Then on the fourth it started stuttering--It was Marcus Miller's Papa Was a Rolling Stone from Afrodeezia, HiFi version. Then onto the next track-- A. Wranitzky--Violin Concertos and it was normal-- .

Lemme go back to the Marcus Miller--yeah, stuttering again, back to the classical--it's OK. Tried the above Marcus Miller album Masters version and it plays fine--all songs no stuttering. Went to the Marcus Miller HiFi album of above again, and every single song stuttered. This is weird.

Played a bunch of songs from a Simon and Garfunkel playlist and then an Ambient playlist (all HiFi) and didn't hear any stuttering from anything. Only that Marcus Miller HiFi.

Opened USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) Android app and played the Marcus Miller Afrodeezia HiFi version and it played perfectly, no problems at all, all songs.

Tried a bunch of random stuff in the Tidal app, HiFi and Masters and didn't hear it again on anything.

So this issue is definitely something w/Tidal app (no probs with anything HiFi or Masters using UAPP app) but it seems to only affect a very narrow selection (only one album in my case that I could find). Imagine there are others--which albums/songs did you have the issue with? Maybe I'll have the same experience.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #4,158 of 5,203
My Tidal was recently updated to 2.11.4.889.11 --is this your version? (not 899.11?) ? I have Tidal Hi Fi and a FiiO X5III w/Android 5.1.1.

I've been testing it with various music, HiFi, Masters, and I tested four tracks in a playlist called 1 Demo Music and the first three tracks no problem. Then on the fourth it started stuttering--It was Marcus Miller's Papa Was a Rolling Stone from Afrodeezia, HiFi version. Then onto the next track-- A. Wranitzky--Violin Concertos and it was normal-- .

Lemme go back to the Marcus Miller--yeah, stuttering again, back to the classical--it's OK. Tried the above Marcus Miller album Masters version and it plays fine--all songs no stuttering. Went to the Marcus Miller HiFi album of above again, and every single song stuttered. This is weird.

Played a bunch of songs from a Simon and Garfunkel playlist and then an Ambient playlist (all HiFi) and didn't hear any stuttering from anything. Only that Marcus Miller HiFi.

Opened USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) Android app and played the Marcus Miller Afrodeezia HiFi version and it played perfectly, no problems at all, all songs.

Tried a bunch of random stuff in the Tidal app, HiFi and Masters and didn't hear it again on anything.

So this issue is definitely something w/Tidal app (no probs with anything HiFi or Masters using UAPP app) but it seems to only affect a very narrow selection (only one album in my case that I could find). Imagine there are others--which albums/songs did you have the issue with? Maybe I'll have the same experience.

Thanks for your reply and testing.
You are correct - it is 2.11.4.889.11

I find the problem more prevalent in Playlists... most times the track will play fine from an album, but not from a playlist. Problem tracks:

Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits)
Subplots (Jack Johnson)
My Girl (Patricia Barber)

And more.

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #4,159 of 5,203
Thanks for your reply and testing.
You are correct - it is 2.11.4.889.11

I find the problem more prevalent in Playlists... most times the track will play fine from an album, but not from a playlist. Problem tracks:

Subplots (Jack Johnson)

And more.

I'll check those and see if playlists are a problem vs. the album versions. I'll also check those three in UAPP.

Curious, if you get a chance, check that Marcus Miller I mentioned (the HiFi version) and see if songs on that album stutter for you on your Hiby. Every song on the whole record was un- listenable in the Tidal HiFi but played perfectly in Masters on my FiiO.

I assume you're in Tidal HiFi?

I read some recent reviews of the Tidal app today on Google Play and some are reporting these same issues.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,160 of 5,203
I'll check those and see if playlists are a problem vs. the album versions. I'll also check those three in UAPP.

Curious, if you get a chance, check that Marcus Miller I mentioned (the HiFi version) and see if songs on that album stutter for you on your Hiby. Every song on the whole record was un- listenable in the Tidal HiFi but played perfectly in Masters on my FiiO.

I assume you're in Tidal HiFi?

I read some recent reviews of the Tidal app today on Google Play and some are reporting these same issues.

My Test on your track

Marcus Miller's Papa Was a Rolling Stone from Afrodeezia (HiFi) - stutters in playlist

Marcus Miller's Papa Was a Rolling Stone from Afrodeezia (Master) - plays fine in playlist

Uninstalled/ reinstalled the Android Tidal app... no better

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #4,161 of 5,203
My Test on your track

Marcus Miller's Papa Was a Rolling Stone from Afrodeezia (HiFi) - stutters in playlist

Marcus Miller's Papa Was a Rolling Stone from Afrodeezia (Master) - plays fine in playlist

Uninstalled/ reinstalled the Android Tidal app... no better

I played all of the following late this afternoon and again this evening:

Subplots (Jack Johnson)

All either in a playlist or just the album and the only error I encountered was when I played Sultans of Swing (from older The Best of Dire Straits) I got 10-15 seconds of stuttering at about the .33 point but fine from then on. I also tried Sultans of Swing from the original Dire Straits album and from the newer The Very Best Of and they both played without issue. The Jack Johnson Subplots and My Girl (Patricia Barber) played error free along with other songs from both albums.

Strangely, I also tried the Marcus Miller HiFi again and got no errors at all.

Ditto this evening except early on I think I was too far away from the router (have an older circa 2012 wireless 300N). It acted the same way stuttering and wouldn't connect properly but when I got a bit closer it cleared up and everything played without issue.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be, especially as when I first tested today, I was quite close to my router and the Marcus Miller HiFi version was totally EF'd but then later today it was perfect. Maybe some intermittent interaction between the Tidal Server and the Tidal app (as I said, didn't happen at all in UAPP app). For some reason you're getting a more severe case of it. It'll probably be solved with the next Tidal update (hopefully there won't be new problems!). Maybe check your internet connection in all its aspects if nothing else. Good luck and and BTW--enjoyed the tracks!

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #4,162 of 5,203
I played all of the following late this afternoon and again this evening:

Subplots (Jack Johnson)

All either in a playlist or just the album and the only error I encountered was when I played Sultans of Swing (from older The Best of Dire Straits) I got 10-15 seconds of stuttering at about the .33 point but fine from then on. I also tried Sultans of Swing from the original Dire Straits album and from the newer The Very Best Of and they both played without issue. The Jack Johnson Subplots and My Girl (Patricia Barber) played error free along with other songs from both albums.

Strangely, I also tried the Marcus Miller HiFi again and got no errors at all.

Ditto this evening except early on I think I was too far away from the router (have an older circa 2012 wireless 300N). It acted the same way stuttering and wouldn't connect properly but when I got a bit closer it cleared up and everything played without issue.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be, especially as when I first tested today, I was quite close to my router and the Marcus Miller HiFi version was totally EF'd but then later today it was perfect. Maybe some intermittent interaction between the Tidal Server and the Tidal app (as I said, didn't happen at all in UAPP app). For some reason you're getting a more severe case of it. It'll probably be solved with the next Tidal update (hopefully there won't be new problems!). Maybe check your internet connection in all its aspects if nothing else. Good luck and and BTW--enjoyed the tracks!

ANDROID APP STUTTERING...

I uninstalled and reinstalled the same release. The above tracks all played fine...but now other tracks have started stuttering in playlists.
Confused :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #4,163 of 5,203
I want to share my experience for those who defend Qobuz in this Tidal thread, just in case someone finds it interesting.

Today I wanted to give an opportunity to Qobuz, considering that many users speak well about this platform/app. Let me be clear and quick: I'm very eclectic but lately I'm listening mainly progressive and fussion, so I searched for Thank you scientist. No results. Well, let's try Plini. No luck. mmm... Tool? No way (this band is not in Tidal either). Let's try by genre: No fussion, no progressive. Then I started to look for other bands of different genres and you know what? Finally I found that Qobuz offer is Ridiculous for eclectic music lovers. I'll definitely hang with Tidal and don't look back, at least for a quite some time.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #4,164 of 5,203
I want to share my experience for those who defend Qobuz in this Tidal thread, just in case someone finds it interesting.

Today I wanted to give an opportunity to Qobuz, considering that many users speak well about this platform/app. Let me be clear and quick: I'm very eclectic but lately I'm listening mainly progressive and fussion, so I searched for Thank you scientist. No results. Well, let's try Plini. No luck. mmm... Tool? No way (this band is not in Tidal either). Let's try by genre: No fussion, no progressive. Then I started to look for other bands of different genres and you know what? Finally I found that Qobuz offer is Ridiculous for eclectic music lovers. I'll definitely hang with Tidal and don't look back, at least for a quite some time.

I use Roon and subscribe to both Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio. I'm in the US, so our regions may not have the same music.

I see 2 albums available by the artist Thank You Scientist: "Maps of Non-Existent Places" and "Stranger Heads Prevail." These are available in FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit on both Tidal and Qobuz.

There is only one album for Plini that I can see, and this is only available to stream through Tidal: "Handmade Cities".

The band Tool is not likely to ever be available to stream. I've been adding all of Tool's catalog to my Roon library by ripping their CDs to FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit.

Though I use Roon, I see a ton of available music available in both Tidal and Qobuz when I drill down to the Fusion genre listed as a subcategory of Jazz.

I've found both services to be a bit of a mixed bag with regards to availability, but generally Tidal appears to have the more complete catalog with regards to my tastes. They both sound great. I would never keep Tidal if I was limited to their own desktop or browser-based application. Roon has made a world of difference, though I understand that Tidal has been making some progress with their user interface. I've only just logged into Qobuz's streaming website once to see if I could, and from that moment on I have only been accessing Qobuz via Roon.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #4,165 of 5,203
ANDROID APP STUTTERING...

I uninstalled and reinstalled the same release. The above tracks all played fine...but now other tracks have started stuttering in playlists.
Confused :)

FIXED!

In response to my problem report Tidal support added an update to address this Android mobile problem:

In Play Store, I opened Tidal Music App and updated to 2.11.5.892.4 for Android mobile.

All appear to be fixed.

Many thanks to Tidal for the prompt response.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #4,166 of 5,203

Like I also said before, EDM genre in general is not very big on Qobuz. Tidal has more and Spotify has even more than Tidal, a lot more. That is why I moved to the latter.
In defense of Qobuz, they have many Fabric releases, even old ones that Spotify has not. Fabric is a great mix album series in the EDM genre.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #4,167 of 5,203
I use Roon and subscribe to both Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio. I'm in the US, so our regions may not have the same music.

I see 2 albums available by the artist Thank You Scientist: "Maps of Non-Existent Places" and "Stranger Heads Prevail." These are available in FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit on both Tidal and Qobuz.

There is only one album for Plini that I can see, and this is only available to stream through Tidal: "Handmade Cities".

The band Tool is not likely to ever be available to stream. I've been adding all of Tool's catalog to my Roon library by ripping their CDs to FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit.

Though I use Roon, I see a ton of available music available in both Tidal and Qobuz when I drill down to the Fusion genre listed as a subcategory of Jazz.

I've found both services to be a bit of a mixed bag with regards to availability, but generally Tidal appears to have the more complete catalog with regards to my tastes. They both sound great. I would never keep Tidal if I was limited to their own desktop or browser-based application. Roon has made a world of difference, though I understand that Tidal has been making some progress with their user interface. I've only just logged into Qobuz's streaming website once to see if I could, and from that moment on I have only been accessing Qobuz via Roon.

I don't find any album from Plini. Handmade cities nor any ep, single... Maybe due to country, as you point (I live in Barcelona and travel to Malta every 3 weeks, but both countries are in Europe).
Looked for Thrailkill, Break of reality, David Maxim Cimic, Wolf Asylum and more, without luck. Regarding Thank you scientist, my fault. Looking at my previous search I can see that the predictive keyboard has led me to error, but anyway I continue to miss too much music compared to Tidal.

On the other hand, Roon + Tidal is too expensive choice for me nowadays (not to mention adding other platforms), so for now I have to live with a maximum cost of 20€/month and only Spotify and Tidal satisfy my music tastes enough (although I preferred Tidal because of the SQ).
Even so, we all know that this world moves very quick and don't know if I will be eating my words in the future. Anyway, thank you a lot for your impressions (@Daffie too). Your words are much appreciated.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #4,168 of 5,203
Ok, I have been listening to Led Zeppelin II (Remastered) on Tidal. The album is supposedly MQA but it sounds incredibly muddy. Like there is some crazy jitter in the lower treble or something. Cymbals just sound like someone is crumpling up a piece of stiff paper. Someone else listen to it and tell me my ears aren't broken.

I'm assuming the Remaster was just garbage? I have yet to hear something this bad come out of Tidal.

I just listened to the Deluxe edition (MQA) and it's pretty close to the same. Maybe a little better, but still enough that I can kind of tell.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #4,169 of 5,203
Ok, I have been listening to Led Zeppelin II (Remastered) on Tidal. The album is supposedly MQA but it sounds incredibly muddy. Like there is some crazy jitter in the lower treble or something. Cymbals just sound like someone is crumpling up a piece of stiff paper. Someone else listen to it and tell me my ears aren't broken.

I'm assuming the Remaster was just garbage? I have yet to hear something this bad come out of Tidal.

I just listened to the Deluxe edition (MQA) and it's pretty close to the same. Maybe a little better, but still enough that I can kind of tell.

I'm no Led Zeppelin expert but I am listening to this album and it sounds pretty crispy to me. Cymbals especially sound clear. There must be something weird happening, what's your rig like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back