Thunderpants!
Aug 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,131 of 2,225
I made a purchase based on Jude's review around October of last year. I am still working on trying to get the headphone's delivered. My patience is running out. If I do not hear from him soon. I will make it public.

Regards,
Joe Ling
triportsad.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,133 of 2,225
wish i had some...i just can't believe it. we talked and he seemed so cool and now he won't answer any of my mail in last 3 months. does anyone know if hes sickor something or in hospital? can't anyone find out whats up??? got my money though...........i just hope he contacts me.......

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #2,135 of 2,225
Quote:
wish i had some...i just can't believe it. we talked and he seemed so cool and now he won't answer any of my mail in last 3 months. does anyone know if hes sickor something or in hospital? can't anyone find out whats up??? got my money though...........i just hope he contacts me.......

How did you get your money back?

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2,137 of 2,225
I posted this in the general T50RP mod thread, but I figure here is more appropriate.

"Can anyone refer me to someone who can make me a set of wood cups and baffles, a la the Smeggy Thunderpants? It's hard to find a reliable list of wood turners here, with people retiring, going on vacation, or turning into scammers. :frowning2: I've taken my T50RPs as far as they'll go in their original shells, it's time to go bold. "

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2,139 of 2,225
Hello, I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new to this forum (or any forum in general!). I'm a DIY'r and I recently have been getting into hifi'ish audio and couldn't resist building a set of these headphones. I borrowed a lot construction ideas from the KODA build, but primarily the thunderpants.  Anyways my line of work allows access some great equipment for this stuff (laser cutter, bridgeports, cnc...etc). 

My next project based on the T50's is basically a pair of machined aluminum cups with wood inlay, and possibly a machined gimbal... other than weight can anyone think of why aluminum might be a good/bad choice for phones? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Colby Higgins

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,140 of 2,225
Hello, I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new to this forum (or any forum in general!). I'm a DIY'r and I recently have been getting into hifi'ish audio and couldn't resist building a set of these headphones. I borrowed a lot construction ideas from the KODA build, but primarily the thunderpants.  Anyways my line of work allows access some great equipment for this stuff (laser cutter, bridgeports, cnc...etc). 

My next project based on the T50's is basically a pair of machined aluminum cups with wood inlay, and possibly a machined gimbal... other than weight can anyone think of why aluminum might be a good/bad choice for phones? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Colby Higgins

Increase the size/depth of th cups by 5-10 mm to allow for dampening materials. Otherwise should work. Good luck.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2,141 of 2,225
Thanks bluemonkeyflyer, the aluminum shell is going to be 1/8" thick with a wood back and and acrylic baffle (both 1/4" thick). I was actually thinking I might shoot for an overall diameter of 3.5", but maybe this is just not the right volume. Do you think that a different porting or dampening setup would help if the internal volume was actually decreased? I would like to post images of the computer render and progress so far as well, I assume I need a certain amount of posts to do that though?

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2,142 of 2,225
Quote:

Thanks,
-Colby Higgins

this is my feedback:

:), seems like we have the same idea. I did this when I was in uni. The cup was machined from solid aluminium, however the baffle is polycarbonate. All the surfaces inside the cup was covered in dynamat extreme. Aluminium by itself is not a good idea for a closed headphones and it needs weight damping, otherwise it would produce a ringing sound ( so you idea with wood inlay is good to go) I like the result with dynamat damping, because it reduce resonance and have the reflection of the aluminium skin, therefore produce a little treble boost. The whole headphones without cable weights 515g ( I heard Thunderpants and LCD-2 weights the same)
My next project is carbon fiber.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #2,144 of 2,225
Wow, those are awesome and it's great to hear how you dealt with the aluminum housing.  My plan is to simplify the build by using 6061 aluminum tube with an 1/8" wall, and then just touch it off on the lathe to give a machined look (basically to save on material cost, and it is simple). Then I plan to attach the acrylic baffle to the front and use a circle of .25" thick wood to cover the back.  I'm sure that it would be beneficial to dampen the sides of the aluminum shell too. I'm still working on the gimbal design, but I'd like to keep these phones light and a little smaller than than the thunderpants in diameter and depth. Thanks for the advice, those phones are really incredible!

-Colby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back