Thunderpants!
May 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2,071 of 2,225
Ceramic has the tiny dents in it which acts like acoustic foam.  I hear it's very nice for bounching frequencies off of.  Same as wood.  But with wood you would need the acoustic foam.  Ceramic is pretty easy to drill through, just use a metal bit.  Glass would be awesome though for the drivers.  If you could get it clear, that would be one of a kind.  Like a custom IEM.  Very cool!

May 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #2,072 of 2,225
Glass is $7 per cm^3  ---- VERY expensive

Ceramic is $0.20 per cm^2 (surface area)

Ceramic's have strict rules because of the glazing http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/ceramics
Maybe I can keep the inside of the cups unglazed to preserve the relatively flat edge that will touch the baffles.

Also, should I make the baffles out of ceramic, or would wood or foam board be better?

Thanks,
Perry

May 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,076 of 2,225
Wooden baffles would sound the best.  Wooden everything is what Smeggy uses.  It has little pores in the wood and it makes the sound frequencies bounce back the best or something.  I am not sure how it works but it's probably the nicest sounding and looking.

May 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #2,082 of 2,225
My katalox Smeggy Thunderpants weigh in at 18oz for comparison.
Quote:
I use ABS cups and acrylic baffles on my Plastic Pantz, and they sound great (but are a little heavy at 24oz.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back