Thunderpants!
May 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,396 of 2,225

Quote:
For me there was basically no question. The Thunderpants are the only closed Ortho around. If you want/need isolation (and I most definitely do) they are the only choice.
And when I compared the 'Pants to the commercial Orthos (HE-5, HE-6 and LCD-2) at a Head-fi meet, the 'Pants were my favorite of the bunch. This is of course a matter of personal preference and YMMV.

End quote by sbradley02

If I might ask, what types of music do you find yourself listening to the most, and in particular, what music styles IYHO sound their best on the TPs? 

And is it safe to assume you experienced the HE-5, HE-6 and LCD-2 all in amps & DACs providing excellent synergy?  Do you happen to recall any oddments or strangeness in those setups perhaps?  I know they can crop up from observing a good friend of mine struggle with this HE-6 to reproduce the set and setting he heard them in in a Meet.  So far so not so good..  It clearly only takes one linch-pin; one link-in-the-chain to bring the whole system down to its knees.  Orthos sure keep you on your toes, that at least must be said. :wink: And if you're like me who craves these little adventures, it's not an altogether waste of time, in this man's humble opinion.

Just out of curiosity sbradley02, between the 3 Hifimans, which do you feel had the closest sonic representation to the Thunders and which was the most removed? 

May 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #1,397 of 2,225

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, between the 3 Hifimans, which do you feel had the closest sonic representation to the Thunders?

depends really i have 2 pairs atm that i made my self one is very bassy one is bright theres also a pair i sent to tyll to get tested which was a test pair for about 7 months i dampened it with all types of things their bright sounding to me tomorrow i get the graph for it :) they can pretty much sound like however you want depending on the dampening used

each box is 1 pair of o2 earpads :)

May 19, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #1,398 of 2,225

Teejaay : Nice job on the cups, what wood is the red one ?

Quote:
o2 pads

4 1/8'' dia
inner hole is 2 1/4''x 3 3/8''

1 1/8'' tall back side 1/2 foam medium density 1/8th memory foam
3/8th front
3/8th padding all around

If I understand you right, the padding is only 3/8 thick on the top and bottom of the ear (3/8" * 2 + 3 3/8" = 4 1/8") ?  So if the leather is 1/16" thick, there's only 1/4" of foam in the top and bottom.

May I ask how big are the 2 skirts, the one that goes over the cup and the one that attaches the pad to the baffle ?  Thanks again.

And now for a general question : Which side of my lamb hide should I expose ? Here is a pic showing the suede-like side (top) and the leathery side (down) :

The leathery side will probably make a better seal, but it isn't as nice looking then the suede side and maybe slightly less confortable.  Will it make much of a difference if I use memory foam to insure a good seal ?

May 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,399 of 2,225

Quote:

If I understand you right, the padding is only 3/8 thick on the top and bottom of the ear (3/8" * 2 + 3 3/8" = 4 1/8") ?  So if the leather is 1/16" thick, there's only 1/4" of foam in the top and bottom.

May I ask how big are the 2 skirts, the one that goes over the cup and the one that attaches the pad to the baffle ?  Thanks again.

And now for a general question : Whis side of my lamb hide should I expose ? Here is a pic showing the suede-like side (top) and the leathery side (down) :

The leathery side will probably make a better seal, but it isn't as nice looking then the suede side and maybe slightly less confortable.  Will it make much of a difference if I use memory foam to insure a good seal ?

3/8th skirts

ok it has same amount of padding all around 5/8'' foam with a 1/8th of memory foam

Eucalyptus is the wood i think.

May 19, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,400 of 2,225
I was recently perusing Fausts' excellent wikiphonia website (http :/wiki.faust3d.com) when I noticed a decent number Yahaha orthos and many of which were ranked in the upper tie tier.

My question is, has anyone tried to exhaustively mod these orthos as well a'la TPs? I know some of them are exceedingly hard (like thr YH1000) to find but I figure a handful have probably got out into the community for tweaking, damping, what have you. Just curious as to the results

May 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #1,401 of 2,225
Quote:
I was recently perusing Fausts' excellent wikiphonia website (http :/wiki.faust3d.com) when I noticed a decent number Yahaha orthos and many of which were ranked in the upper tie tier.

My question is, has anyone tried to exhaustively mod these orthos as well a'la TPs? I know some of them are exceedingly hard (like thr YH1000) to find but I figure a handful have probably got out into the community for tweaking, damping, what have you. Just curious as to the results

Smeggy said said something along the lines of that he tried it but they don't sound very good if you put them in any enclosure large enough to be circumaural or if you just put circumaural pads on them.  The Yammy drivers apparently have to have very small enclosures and be pressed right up against your ear to sound good.

You can still do it if your interested in making a tiny wooden supraural 'phone, but Smeggy said he gave up on that direction because they aren't very comfortable.

You could probably do it but you'd probably end up with something resembling ESW9 that takes a beastly balanced portable amp to push,

I've got a YH-3 I'm going to experiment with sometime in the future but I want to get my pseudo-Thunderpants together first.

And you can still mod them in their stock enclosures, but if the YH-3 is anything to go by they aren't likely to be comfortable.

May 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #1,402 of 2,225
You bring up an excellent point. At the meet, I was more focused at trying out the most equipment, rather than in depth evaluation. I often only used one amplifier with any particular ortho. Sometimes my own dac/amp. While this unit is excellent and IMO one of the best units going for under several hundred $, it is not in the same league as say the Cavilli Liquid Fire. So there is no doubt whatsoever that I often tried out the other orthos with less than optimal amplification. That is one of the reasons I provided the caveat in my earlier post. The Thunderpants I did try out with both my amp and the Cavilli and many of its qualities shone through in both cases. What caused me to send more time with he Thunderpants was when I first tried them, I got that "jaw dropping" reaction, that the sound was so impressive to me. What immediately impressed me from the moment I tried them, is the imaging is expansive, and the midrange balance, which is difficult to achieve, was spot on for my preference. As i continued to listen, I noted other characteristics, like extended bass response, and an extended high end that is very effortless.

I listen primarily to classic rock, alternative, bluegrass and folk, with some classical. The Thunderpants handle all genres very well, it is not a genre specific performer. One thing I have noted is that the Thunderpants' strengths are more apparent with lossless content, though they can also handle 192 and 256kbps MP3 without sounding harsh or fatiguing. I listen primarily to MP3 (Pandora) at work, and FLAC on the road.

I only tried out two of the Hifmans, the HE-5 (don't know whether or not it was an LE) and the HE-6. The HE-6 was closer to the Thunderpants based on my limited listening.

Quote:

May 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,403 of 2,225
Those larger drivers in the PMB-80 and others might be a better size for a transplant into a full-sized enclosure.  They are getting rare, though.

Soon, I should be able to have a go at the Wharfedale ID2, though, which is a nice size.

May 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #1,404 of 2,225

Quote:

And now for a general question : Which side of my lamb hide should I expose ? Here is a pic showing the suede-like side (top) and the leathery side (down) :

My suggestion would be to use the leathery side. Although not as nice as the suede side, it might better withstand any facial skin oil that may come in contact with them. The suede side on the other hand may not fair as well over time when they come into contact with facial skin oil causing it's surface to harden and not look a good as it once used to. On the leathery side, if they do get a little dirty you can take a lightly damp cloth and wipe them clean. The suede side you may have to be a little more careful on how you go about cleaning them if you want to maintain it's texture.

May 19, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,405 of 2,225

Quote:
My suggestion would be to use the leathery side. Although not as nice as the suede side, it might better withstand any facial skin oil that may come in contact with them. The suede side on the other hand may not fair as well over time when they come into contact with facial skin oil causing it's surface to harden and not look a good as it once used to. On the leathery side, if they do get a little dirty you can take a lightly damp cloth and wipe them clean. The suede side you may have to be a little more careful on how you go about cleaning them if you want to maintain it's texture.

Good point, I didn't think of the normal wear of the material. Humm, I might try a mix of both side, leather where it touches the skin, suede on the outside for looks. 

May 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,406 of 2,225
 Could anyone suggest me any good looking metal corner bracket / shelf bracket to fasten the cup to the an headband wooden adaptor ? Those used by Smeggy are way better looking then anything I could find online. I tried searching for brass or copper brackets with no luck.

Or did anyone try using ball and socket joints ? I've found a few on ebay that are used for fixing RC toys, but I didn't find any that looked easy to adapt as a cup/headband linker. 

May 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,407 of 2,225
Third post in a row... I'll stop after that, promissed :wink:

So I've finaly done a desing plan for a larger simily-TP that i'm going to attempt building this Saturday.  I call it the 4.5"-pants due to its 1/2" increase in diameter compared to Smeggy's original TP. The goal is simple : a TP immitation with lambskin pads that would not make any contact with my ears (and being cheaper then the O2 pads).

The main differences with Smeggy's original TP: 
- The interior of the cup is the same, but the contact rim with the baffle was increased from 3/8" radius to 5/8"
- I guesstimated the tickness of the baffle to 7/16" from Smeggy's design.
- The baffle's contact region with the pads was increased from 1/2" radius to 1", maching the pad's contact region
- The pad's I'll build for it will have a slope of around 11 degrees (my ears are closer to 15degrees)

I'm not going to try off-center woodturning so that the baffle's cavity matches the pad's center elipse :wink:

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated !

May 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,408 of 2,225

Quote:

Exhaustively ? No. Minor experimenting has been done on the YHD, YH2 and YH100. 

this has all been posted before in the big thread but it is difficult to tease out. at some point I will transfer some pearls into the wiki

..dB 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back