Thunderpants!
Feb 13, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,171 of 2,225
The O2 pads to give a pretty nice seal.  I don't find that I have to go to the extreme of bonding the pads with the baffle.  Then again, I don't want to use adhesive since they aren't exactly cheap, and if I have to take them apart again I don't want to ruin the pads.
I don't think seal is an issue though since it isn't hard to get ear flapping bass with these things.  Maybe I need to take out the felt in the cups and replace it with some of the ultratouch insulation that I have here.  I would have to split it into thinner layers, but that might be a possible solution.

They are on the head, and they sure can pound.  Even if I block the ports they still have decent bass, its just bordering on otherworldly when I don't have fingers covering the ports.

With further listening, I think that they are a little recessed for mids, but for closed cans they are still great.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #1,172 of 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, there's something missing in vocals... they don't sound completely natural.

I haven't heared a real Pant, but I've been playing with ApatN's systems for weeks, with dozens of different housing-, damping- and pad combinations. I've given up getting natural sound out of them. And that is a real shame, the drivers are technically soooo good compared to the vintage crowd...

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,173 of 2,225
Still modding my t50rp but can't really see the huge sub bass i want in sight :frowning2:

Can anyone confirm or deny that you can take the bass further than the beyer dt770 pro 870's or the sony xb700's?

Ideally im looking for a sound sig close to my beyer dt770 (i love its freq response and soundstage) but a lot louder, even more sub bass and a possibly even wider soundstage. Is it possible??

I am gonna try use my xb700 pads somehow and see if that helps.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,176 of 2,225
I can confirm, as I am sure that many others can who have listened to Thunderpants style headphones, they reach extremely deep, and can hit extremely hard when it comes to bass.  It isn't just a bunch of thump though, its fast and detailed bass, its basically the subwoofer that you dream of but you never knew existed.

The bass is not only deeper than my DT 770 2005 edition headphones, but it is characteristically different from it as well.  At the extreme low end the dynamic cans make noise, the ortho is something else entirely, its fast and detailed like no subwoofer you have ever head.  The only thing that I can think of that might be similar would be a line array of small drivers that are acting as a subwoofer and have the same kind of response that something like a pair of 15" drivers would have.
I find the overall effect to be quite hard to really describe, that is the best that I can do.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,177 of 2,225
Thanks Epoch, I can understand what your saying as i have many times heard sound engineers ramble about how acurate and faster smaller dynamic subs are vs larger 18" subs and I can undertand and relate to that in the tr50rp ortho. Its definatly not flabby in the slightest and i am completely in love but from what i am hearing, which is far from finnished. I am however doubting weather I will get the quantaty i am after which i want all in the sub 100hz.

The xb700 pads make a huge diference and I am really hearing the bass now but it is still not loud enough. I simply took off the original pads and using only the clamping force of the headband, slipped the xb pads in betwene the cups and head. Due to the puffy nature of the pads it seals quite well but obviously not a permanent solution.

I am hoping once done I will end up with something like I described that is also loud enough so i can use them at live gigs and djing.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #1,178 of 2,225

Quote:
Thanks Epoch, I can understand what your saying as i have many times heard sound engineers ramble about how acurate and faster smaller dynamic subs are vs larger 18" subs and I can undertand and relate to that in the tr50rp ortho. Its definatly not flabby in the slightest and i am completely in love but from what i am hearing, which is far from finnished. I am however doubting weather I will get the quantaty i am after which i want all in the sub 100hz.

The xb700 pads make a huge diference and I am really hearing the bass now but it is still not loud enough. I simply took off the original pads and using only the clamping force of the headband, slipped the xb pads in betwene the cups and head. Due to the puffy nature of the pads it seals quite well but obviously not a permanent solution.

I am hoping once done I will end up with something like I described that is also loud enough so i can use them at live gigs and djing.

If you're using the Xb700 pads on a properly-damped T50RP woody, and you still don't think they're bassy enough, I don't know what to tell you. This is absolutely THE MOST bass I have ever heard from a headphone while remaining in control of that bass. Last night I accidentally ran a 20Hz test tone through the darthpants a little too loudly, and the pads started VIBRATING on my head. I've never seen anything that could do that. To get any more bass I think you would have to add a subwoofer to your headphone setup. Either that or start to lose control of the rest of the frequency range and go with some XB700s or something.

The best way IMO to attach the XB700 pads is to get some rubber cement and glue them on. They should come off easily if you're careful should you not like them.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,179 of 2,225
It sounds like the modded headphones you have are what I am aiming for Aflac.

I am starting to wonder if i can get smeggy to make one for me out of the same paperstone, optimised for (in order of preference) loudness > sub 80hz bass > widest soundstage!

If he can then I might save myself a lot of trouble, time and possibly money too since i am not good using my hands on small devices (shakey and too fidley haha)...

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,180 of 2,225
Thanks dbel. Leeperry has some Sony pads that are cheeper than the 02 pads, leather, and he seems very responsive and has great feedback, but as either set of pads cost more than the phone, I was wondering if anyone had compared the sa5000 pads to the 02 pads on a mod'd t50 before I pull the trigger...

Looking to smooth a little residual midrange hump without causing bass to roll off, plus less sweaty ears!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,181 of 2,225

Quote:
Thanks dbel. Leeperry has some Sony pads that are cheeper than the 02 pads, leather, and he seems very responsive and has great feedback, but as either set of pads cost more than the phone, I was wondering if anyone had compared the sa5000 pads to the 02 pads on a mod'd t50 before I pull the trigger...

Looking to smooth a little residual midrange hump without causing bass to roll off, plus less sweaty ears!

I was eyeing those SA5k pads too, but for T50RP usage I don't think they're enough. One of the plusses of the O2 pads is that they have DEPTH. I believe that the pad depth has a pretty big effect on the overall frequency balance (but not too much! see: my XB700 pads). The SA5000 pads don't look much thicker than the stock T50RP pads.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,182 of 2,225
Can anyone comment on how much power you can give these phones (loud as in standing in the middle of a nightclub and still being able to listen to your music type loud)?

I think I have reached the limits of the mixers and gear i have in my studio and i don't have an adapter to try out my headstage arrow HE yet which may drive them a lot further. I feel as though my current audio equipment is distorting the signal and its not the t50rp that's distorting yet.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #1,184 of 2,225
Stock, they'll get loud enough that you can probably use them as speakers.  They're sensitivity is 98dB/mW and they max input it 3W.  Damping lowers sensitivity and put them in new cups probably does too, but they'll still get louder than you can listen.

Edit:  For attaching pads, I'd suggest carpet tape instead of rubber cement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back