Thunderpants!
Jan 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,126 of 2,225
thank you for all of your answers. 
normal_smile .gif

maybe I will redamping my cans to get the proper damping scheme.

sigh..it's a hard thing, since I don't have any damping material. 
normal_smile .gif

Will O2 pads give a lot improvement for the low freq?
I just curious, don't want to invest much money for unworthy improvement.

By the way, a very big >clink< from me as well
normal_smile .gif

TP is a great stuff, great innovation.

I wish I could try some of your TPs. 
o2smile.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,128 of 2,225

Quote:
thank you for all of your answers. 
normal_smile .gif

maybe I will redamping my cans to get the proper damping scheme.

sigh..it's a hard thing, since I don't have any damping material. 
normal_smile .gif

im no expert but it based on what a lot of people have posted as their damping schemes on this thread,  many of the materials seem to be pretty commonly available.  like transpore/micropore tape, you can get at any drug store..

also the consensus among thunderpants owners/builders is that 02 pads really do make a difference in inproving the sound quality, though i only ever had 02 pads on mine so i have no direct comparison experience

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,129 of 2,225
Any comparisons or thoughts on the Thunderpants versus the LA2000 lite? I'm considering buying one or the other. Both beautiful custom made sealed cans, similar price (used, I've found both and want to decide soon). My preferences lean towards slightly to moderately more bass than neutral, and both models seem to promise that. Anyone?

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,130 of 2,225
i have owned both thunderpants, and standard denon ahd2000's, but have never heard a LA2000 lite, or any markl modded cans for that matter.

based on my experience with the 2 mentioned above though, the thunderpants won by a MASSIVE margin.. in fact it wouldnt be fair to even compare them.

although i honestly dont know how much the markl mod changes a pair of d2000's, i just cant imagine them measuring up to a properly amped, smeggy made pair of TP's -  There is a reason many experienced ortho owners say that Thunderpants come close to a pair of LCD-2's which you may know is one of the most hailed pair of headphones on the market right now.  
just the ortho drivers alone, and the general superior balance of the frequency response of a pair of thunderpants vs the d2000's is a major difference, let alone all the other amazing qualities TP's possess.

There is really no way to recreate the wiked ortho mids with dynamic drivers.  I dont care if markl is a modding genious, it just cant be done.

hopefully someone with experience the markl mod can help you, but my vote is definitely for thunderpants. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #1,131 of 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahyuwahyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pad swapping only for the T50RP fraction IMO. With the T20v2 as basis you are quite bound to the stock pads (or similar shaped DIY). These drivers just don't have enough oooomph to "fill" pads with a greater inner diameter, that results in a complete absence of bass...

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,133 of 2,225
Rather the contrary, the T20v2 has more bass, but the T50RP can move more air than its (less moveable? weaker magnetized?) vintage cousin.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,134 of 2,225

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahyuwahyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pad swapping only for the T50RP fraction IMO. With the T20v2 as basis you are quite bound to the stock pads (or similar shaped DIY). These drivers just don't have enough oooomph to "fill" pads with a greater inner diameter, that results in a complete absence of bass...

I may have to disagree :) , I have O2 pads on my T20V1 and T50RP pads on my T20V2 - you need to adjust the damping from stock pads but it sounds wonderfully coherent and no lack of bass or power..dB

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #1,135 of 2,225
Good to hear that my conclusion was incorrect. I got that impression from tests with my pad inventory...

In which way did you counteract the "bigger pads effect" exactly?

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,136 of 2,225
I am using the now unobtainium Moorebrook and Auzzie felts from our good friend in Italy. I used a spacer instead of an additional damping layer between the auzzie felt that sits up against the driver and the moorebrook that damps the chamber. I am sure other felts could be used , just a matter of finding the right combination that works for you..dB

as an aside, I plan of trying the TP style with the T20V2 as I have the cups and pads ready, just need to find something to insulate the front baffle to the cup 

edit - my amp is also no slouch - this may have something to do with it (essentially a 25W speaker amp if you extrapolate power handling into an 8ohm load but designed and built exclusively as a headphone amp )

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,137 of 2,225
Good to hear, Don.  I should have jumped on those T50rp pads I was looking at awhile back.  What do you mean by a spacer instead of additional damping layer?  Do you mean a spacer to keep the felt from resting right up against the driver?

edit:  Actually, it sounds like you're saying that instead of the additional felt and stock foam, you maybe used some more open cell foam inside between the felt against the driver and the felt against the back of the cups?  I've been trying this recently with my Fostex- using some light foam to fill the space, so you can use less damping without getting a hollow, empty chamber sound from the inside of the cups.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,138 of 2,225

Quote:
Good to hear, Don.  I should have jumped on those T50rp pads I was looking at awhile back.  What do you mean by a spacer instead of additional damping layer?  Do you mean a spacer to keep the felt from resting right up against the driver?

I've got a pair I won't ever be using.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,139 of 2,225

Quote:
edit:  Actually, it sounds like you're saying that instead of the additional felt and stock foam, you maybe used some more open cell foam inside between the felt against the driver and the felt against the back of the cups?  I've been trying this recently with my Fostex- using some light foam to fill the space, so you can use less damping without getting a hollow, empty chamber sound from the inside of the cups.

yep - this is exactly it ..dB

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #1,140 of 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

as an aside, I plan of trying the TP style with the T20V2 as I have the cups and pads ready, just need to find something to insulate the front baffle to the cup 

Nice to hear that, sir.
smile.gif

Which pads you will use? stock pads or O2 pads?

I will wait for your progress of woody T20v2.
and maybe i can get some advice from you to improve my cans.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back