Thunderpants!
Dec 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #1,111 of 2,225
I finally had the time to catch back up to this thread and start my own TPs. Last night I disassembled my T50RPs and desoldered the drivers. I realized I have a spare DT990 housing in addition to the wood cups/baffles I had commissioned. I'd really like to see how they'd do in the DT990 shell but I'd imagine it would be pretty poor, however, it would take a lot less time. Anyone want to hear how the DT990 shell works? If not I'll probably just finish up with the wooden ones.

Btw, the finished paperstone TPs look incredible.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,117 of 2,225
Dear all, 
I just want to share my current orthodynamic cans.
I bought it last year from my friend.

Its model and design was inspired from TP design.
the differences are it using T20v2 driver, different cable, and still using stock pad set.
Here is the pic (the left one) :

The woody section was created by calico, the best wood artist for audio in my country.
And it has damped by iQem.

But IMHO it has different character compared with TP.
While most of you said that TP has a very nice bass, it can't give me a satisfaction for the low freq.

Is it any suggestion for me to get the "monstrous bass" just like u got from TP?
Is the diameter of bass port affect the bass? mine just no more than 2 milimeters.

sorry for my poor english :D
regards,
wahyu

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,118 of 2,225
Does the stock T20V2 sound better than its woodied brother?

If the bass is too thin, I suspect too much damping...

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #1,119 of 2,225
I think the woodied one is better.
moreover i can say it is a total mod of T20v2. woody housing n using silver gold mundorf cable.
IMHO the woody T20v2 has a better detail, staging, speed and a nice midrange.
also it has a good extension for the high freq, though still thin but far better than t20v2 stock.

Yesterday I opened the housing and took a look the damping scheme.
I dont know how much damping we can say too much, but it has about 5-6 damping layer (include stock foam damping).

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,120 of 2,225
Your stock T20 is completely stock? That's muffled of course...but 6 layers of damping may be a bit steep...

Here is my damping scheme that sounds really nice IMO. The "Faust3D" scheme I refer to in that post is to be foundin the wiki.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #1,121 of 2,225
not exactly, i compared my woody T20v2 with iQem's T20v2 (with perfect damping scheme).
I can say that my woody cans has a lot of potential.
but I just haven't got the proper damping scheme for my cans.

But in your opinion, which one is better, T20v2 or T50RP?

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,122 of 2,225
I agree with nickchen, it sounds like you might be overdamped.

I've owned the T20 V2 a couple of times and overall I would say it has a more relaxed sound than the T50rp, perhaps due to the reduced strength of the magnetic field. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, more a matter of personal preference.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #1,123 of 2,225
I agree with Vaughn-- the two headphones are so different-sounding in stock form that it would be impossible to compare them unless you were doing something crazy, like trying to make them sound alike.  

This can be said: a lot of work has to be done to get the T50RP to produce deep bass; the T20v2 already has plenty, though it's not controlled very well. Being lazy, I'd rather start from too much bass rather than too little.

By the way, we just passed the second anniversary of the day Smeggy first tore out a T50RP driver and transplanted it into a custom wood cup. A toast!  >clink<

Oh, and I'm with dBel84 on the oomphiness of the Starving Student. Have you already got one?

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,125 of 2,225
A big >clink< from me as well
smile.gif

I've been loving my qausi-Thunderpants (Darthpants I think Rhythmdevils called them!). They are a great compliment to my electrostatics, and isolate much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back