Thunderpants!
Dec 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,036 of 2,225
hey everybody, sort of a random post.   I know many of you might find dubstep totally horrid, but head over to soundcloud.com and type in skrillex to get you started. the audio quality isnt bad and you can get a feel for the deep bass hidden in the thunderpants
biggrin.gif
    one of my favorites is the noisia remix of scary monsters and nice sprites by skrillex check it out!  

cheers,

M

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #1,037 of 2,225
I chopped up the lump of tasmanian blackwood today to have a look and turned one of the cups. Very odd stuff, it's almost bamboo like in it's structure. Light and very hard and the most iridescent wood I've ever seen. Turn it one way and it's dark, twist a little and it glows like cats eyes! It turns a bronzy-brown when oiled and glows gold in the light.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #1,043 of 2,225
nice work as always smeggy and congrats muppet!

Sometimes i wonder what my life would be like without some thunder in my pants.....     = Totally LAME       haha im not that nerrrrdy, i swear.

Peace out D-town

M

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #1,045 of 2,225
Glad you guys like the Lederhosen. I sure do!

Tomorrow I'm going to snap some more glamor shots of the Lederhosen next to my HiFiMan HE-6, Audez'e LCD-1 and LCD-2. It'll be sort of like a "Ortho class of 2010" picture.

Some brief listening impressions will follow as well.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #1,046 of 2,225
Orthos will rule the earth...

Well, maybe. I liked them when i listened to them at a meet and should be receiving some T50RPs soon. I am going to try to make some Thunderpants.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #1,048 of 2,225

Quote:
ok, pics that will hopefully clear it up a bit

so there you go, hope its a bit more helpful than the previous stuff.

what's the effect of increasing the distance between the back cup and the driver? will it bring more advantages rather than disadvantages?

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #1,049 of 2,225

Quote:
Quote:
ok, pics that will hopefully clear it up a bit

so there you go, hope its a bit more helpful than the previous stuff.

what's the effect of increasing the distance between the back cup and the driver? will it bring more advantages rather than disadvantages?

I've been thinking about exactly this issue...

I should say first I am having a love affair with my Thunderpants as they are (I sentence I never thought I would utter) but...

Maybe something like the Sony R-10 housing? I have more experience in the world of speakers, where I've built more than 20 pairs at this point and rebuilt many more. A wall parallel and that close to the back of a driver would be a complete no-no. This driver radiates as much energy backwards as it does forward and as a consequence sound is reflected off the back wall and back through the driver. This is always going to be presenting a sort of reverb coloration. I'm sure many of you already know this, the question is - what is the solution?

I'm afraid the stock frame is limiting in this instance. We really need something with a bale system like the Beyerdynamic DTxxx so we can open up our options for the shape of the back of the cup. A cup which drops away from the back of the driver would give us the opportunity to predict and control the behavior of that back wave. Preliminary experimentation by others here suggests that an open headphone isn't viable, but I wouldn't say the book has been written on this. Perhaps a hybrid? Or a pseudo-transmission line?

I'm with Smeggy on this - this is really an exceptional driver that is looking for the perfect enclosure.

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #1,050 of 2,225
I have heard what bigger cups do to Beyerdynamics. They actually create a bigger, more precise and believable stage and bass becomes quite a bit stronger and more present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back