Thunderpants!
Nov 15, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #932 of 2,225
that is funny I was thinking of how to use some sort of paper product due to its ability to resist vibration, I was also thinking of trying aluminum or some other metal (with really heavy damping on the inside), or even some molded clay or ceramic cups.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #933 of 2,225

Quote:
where did you buy the wood to make these Vaughn?

It actually isn't wood but a composite as described in the post with my pics

Quote:
Nice Vaughn!

Did you pick up the paperstone locally or over the web? I'd love to get my mitts on some to play with. Looks like you could do some really creative finishing with that stuff. Also, how is it to work with?

I hoard the stuff
smile.gif

I first came across it at the Environmental Home Center there in Seattle. I was living there at the time (in Bellingham now) and was remodeling my kitchen. I used it for the counter tops and liked the way it looked. I don't much care for it as a counter top functionally due to the amount of attention it needs to remain looking good. It is, however, an excellent material for turntable plinths, speaker baffles and hopefully headphone housings.

It is a little pricey to source new so I haunt used building material stores to keep myself supplied. Second Use in south Seattle would be a good place to look. I'll make it easier though, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of chunks to play with. It is the least I can do for your contributions to the community! I can cut a couple of 4.5 or 5" squares for you to start with. I think the material I have left is 1 or 1.25" thick, which might be good for turning. Let me know what size would work best for you and I will cut it to fit. Come to think of it, if a circle would be easier for you to start with I can route one out. It will have the .125" hole in the center from the pivot point.

It is relatively easy to work with, albeit a little hard. It mills much like MDF in that you don't have to worry about grain patterns or any other irregularities. It is stinky and produces a fine black dust so a respirator is mandatory.

Quote:
that is funny I was thinking of how to use some sort of paper product due to its ability to resist vibration, I was also thinking of trying aluminum or some other metal (with really heavy damping on the inside), or even some molded clay or ceramic cups.

This was my thinking as well, I also considered aluminum but don't have access to a metal lathe. Also, of course, the cup would ring like a bell and would have to be damped. I'm not sure what would be gained. I had a teacher in college who spun aluminum on a modified wood lathe. That could be fun to try but the same bell problem would apply.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #934 of 2,225
Here they are polished up a bit using 0000 steel wool and mineral oil. I inset threaded aluminum fittings in the cups to screw the baffle down.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #935 of 2,225
wow that looks really nice, they look almost factory. It is sort of hard to tell the color, is it a real dark brown or more black? I like that you were able to use the stock attachment pieces. Keep us posted as you go along!! 

M

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #937 of 2,225
I'm a fan thats for sure!

What pads are you going to use?

You may want to consider a mix of paste wax and mineral oil, the oil gives a nice matte finish and the wax should seal it in nicely; that way you don't have to keep re-applying mineral oil every month. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #938 of 2,225
Thanks for the kind words all
beerchug.gif

I think I might spring for the black 02 pads for these. I would love to be able to replicate that pivot fitting in aluminum and have it anodized the same gold as the rods. Or even polished aluminum might be nice. I would like a better mechanical fitting at that point rather than a screw going into plastic. Right now it has some limited range of motion due to a rubber washer between the cup and pivot. At this point with the stock pads the cups don't rotate enough to allow the pads to seal well. I will add a little stuffing under the inside back of the pad for now to bump it out like the 02 pad until I can afford the fancy pads.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #939 of 2,225
Those paper ones are really sweet looking. I can't wait to hear the listening impressions.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #940 of 2,225

Quote:
wow that looks really nice, they look almost factory. It is sort of hard to tell the color, is it a real dark brown or more black? I like that you were able to use the stock attachment pieces. Keep us posted as you go along!! 

M

It is a brownblack
smile.gif

Your right it is black but definitely has some brownish tints to it, especially in the light in which I took the photo. I'm glad I could reuse the stock pivot piece but I do feel like it is an opportunity for something more interesting.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #942 of 2,225
cool, i suggest bending the rods to get the seal you need. its simple and easy, myn are bend just a hair to get the cups to fit flat against my head.

Black O2 pads would be perfect!  Make sure you put some felt on the front side (ear side) of the baffle and cut out the driver hole in the felt, i did this to myn recently and it cleared the echoey feel i would get every once and a while.

Also if i were you I would drill the same baffle port as on the stock enclosure, you know the one that goes through the driver case to the ear side.  And dont forget to put transpore tape on each corner square of the back of the driver, this is a must imo, sachu came to this configuration after testing against his lcd2.

Other than that just play with damping in the cup and have fun! 

cheers,

M

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #943 of 2,225
Smegster, as per your wishes..am back... :p

So placed an order for a T50Rp..should have a TP done here in the next coupleof weeks...and vaughn..that is just frigging too gorgeous for words. I so want one of those. Guess i'll have to pester you or smegster for one when i save up some scratch here. :p

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #944 of 2,225

Quote:
cool, i suggest bending the rods to get the seal you need. its simple and easy, myn are bend just a hair to get the cups to fit flat against my head.

Black O2 pads would be perfect!  Make sure you put some felt on the front side (ear side) of the baffle and cut out the driver hole in the felt, i did this to myn recently and it cleared the echoey feel i would get every once and a while.

Also if i were you I would drill the same baffle port as on the stock enclosure, you know the one that goes through the driver case to the ear side.  And dont forget to put transpore tape on each corner square of the back of the driver, this is a must imo, sachu came to this configuration after testing against his lcd2.

Other than that just play with damping in the cup and have fun! 

cheers,

M

thanks for the tips, I think bending the rods will work well for now. I would still like to get some nice pads
o2smile.gif

Quote:
Smegster, as per your wishes..am back... :p

So placed an order for a T50Rp..should have a TP done here in the next coupleof weeks...and vaughn..that is just frigging too gorgeous for words. I so want one of those. Guess i'll have to pester you or smegster for one when i save up some scratch here. :p

Thanks Sachu, I'm happy with them but I'm sure Smeggy is going to whip up something even tastier on the lathe
popcorn.gif
. I can't wait to see what he comes up with...

I do think with this material you could come up with some pretty funky designs on a lathe. Mine is kind of minimalist (which I also like).

Here is a picture with the felt on the baffle. Speaking of exotic materials, I can't say where this proprietary covering comes from-let's just say I don't have a rat problem
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #945 of 2,225
Very nice! I love the minimalistic yet stately look that the paperstone adds to the T50. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back