Thunderpants!
Jan 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,191 of 2,225
I'll send you what I have, tomorrow.

Hi Bluemonkeyflyer, can you send me the pdf too by any chance? I'm going to do it by myself, had an idea in my mind to mix the TP design with a bit of Beyrdynamic COP, I'm gonna give it a go starting this week. 

Since I have a friend who won't make me pay for the wood work and material, I can invest my budget in the rest (recabling/stuff/wool etc). 

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,192 of 2,225
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,194 of 2,225
  Sad, the smeggy's web site is gone...

Yes, it is indeed sad.
Despite their not being any new ones made, I seem to be having trouble selling my pair...

May 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,195 of 2,225
Has anyone heard from Gary?  

I ordered the thunderpants kit two years ago. Haven't heard from Gary since, June 12, 2012.

Maybe I need to accept that I lost $250. 

Thanks!

May 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,196 of 2,225
  Has anyone heard from Gary?  

I ordered the thunderpants kit two years ago. Haven't heard from Gary since, June 12, 2012.

Maybe I need to accept that I lost $250. 

Thanks!

This ship has sailed.
Either buy a pair used (I recently sold mine) or get something else similar like the Alpha Dogs.

May 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #2,197 of 2,225
  This ship has sailed.
Either buy a pair used (I recently sold mine) or get something else similar like the Alpha Dogs.

sbradley02 Thanks,

Just makes me upset that Gary took my $250, I need to move on.   

May 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #2,198 of 2,225

sbradley02 Thanks,

Just makes me upset that Gary took my $250, I need to move on.   

If it helps any, he went through huge life upheavals, essentially lost everything

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,200 of 2,225
This seems like the right place to ask... I recently acquired a pair of these and I'd like to replace the pads because the current pads on them, after further inspection, are basically falling apart. I noticed there seems to be a thin ring of glue holding the pads on... presumably because the cups are larger than the pads were designed to go on. Note that these seem to be the original fostex pads.

For replacing them with O2 pads, am I going to need to use any kind of glue or adhesive to keep the pads on? Or should they fit snugly enough that it isn't required? I searched through the thread a bit but I couldn't find much info other than a discussion of which pads are best

Sorry for the noob question! Thanks in advance

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2,201 of 2,225
  This seems like the right place to ask... I recently acquired a pair of these and I'd like to replace the pads because the current pads on them, after further inspection, are basically falling apart. I noticed there seems to be a thin ring of glue holding the pads on... presumably because the cups are larger than the pads were designed to go on. Note that these seem to be the original fostex pads.

For replacing them with O2 pads, am I going to need to use any kind of glue or adhesive to keep the pads on? Or should they fit snugly enough that it isn't required? I searched through the thread a bit but I couldn't find much info other than a discussion of which pads are best

Sorry for the noob question! Thanks in advance

I would recommend the LCD2 pads. Cheaper and much more durable. My pair had them and they fit just fine.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,202 of 2,225
  I would recommend the LCD2 pads. Cheaper and much more durable. My pair had them and they fit just fine.

So they were tight enough over the cups without any adhesive? Thanks much!

Do you happen to know much about the sonic differences between the two? I see a lot of references to a pad comparison that smeggy did but it appears to be in the locked thread that can no longer be viewed. One thing I'm very concerned with is isolation between the two. I see a lot of comments on the pads individually but I can't seem to find any comparison.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,203 of 2,225
  So they were tight enough over the cups without any adhesive? Thanks much!

Do you happen to know much about the sonic differences between the two? I see a lot of references to a pad comparison that smeggy did but it appears to be in the locked thread that can no longer be viewed. One thing I'm very concerned with is isolation between the two. I see a lot of comments on the pads individually but I can't seem to find any comparison.

Mine were originally delivered with O2 pads, no adhesive used. Smeggy converted mine as the prototype for Audeze pads. He made the baffles a little larger, but he said the Audeze pads fit OK though a little looser with the O2 baffles. You may want to use double stick tape. Generally the larger pads reduce the bass a bit. If that is the case with your phones, you can just open the ports a little larger to compensate. This is really pretty easy stuff.
Go to my profile page to see my old 'Pants with O2  pads.
LCD-2 pad photos here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/708913/sold-smeggy-thunderpants-in-katalox-lcd2-pads

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2,204 of 2,225
Sorry for continuing the questions
  Mine were originally delivered with O2 pads, no adhesive used. Smeggy converted mine as the prototype for Audeze pads. He made the baffles a little larger, but he said the Audeze pads fit OK though a little looser with the O2 baffles. You may want to use double stick tape. Generally the larger pads reduce the bass a bit. If that is the case with your phones, you can just open the ports a little larger to compensate. This is really pretty easy stuff.

Thanks for your advice. I think my course of action is just going to be getting both sets of pads and then selling the one I like less. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,205 of 2,225
well if gary went through a huge life up upheaval he should let people know. he got me for a pair of 880's and $300 bucks.
we all go through life upheavals one way or another. i wouldn't want a set of his phones after what he did to so many people on here.
he needs to come clean and make it right. not trying to stir the pot, just saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back