Thunderpants!
May 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #1,306 of 2,225
Has anyone ever try to wrap a wooden cup with carbon fiber? I wonder if it could be done. and If there is going to be any penalty sound wise.

May 12, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #1,308 of 2,225
yes, teeejay did, a page or two back. it's only for cosmetic effects since it wouldn't have any effect on the sound.

May 13, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,309 of 2,225

Quote:
Some really nice work going on here.  Wow!  Here's a well documented set that I took apart, refinished and re-dampened.  Just sold them but I'll be building a set of my own once I can find time in between my Grado fixation.  I've got more pics and before and after photos in the first link in my sig.  

Quote:
yes, teeejay did, a page or two back. it's only for cosmetic effects since it wouldn't have any effect on the sound.

Thanks I found it, unfortunately I also found that mahogany TP, Lucky sysfail, that one is sooo sexy, me wants. I hope to own something very similar to that picture.. 1 more question, are there any balanced TP's? thanks again.. I am really digging the thunderpants!!

May 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #1,310 of 2,225

Quote:

Thanks I found it, unfortunately I also found that mahogany TP, Lucky sysfail, that one is sooo sexy, me wants. I hope to own something very similar to that picture.. 1 more question, are there any balanced TP's? thanks again.. I am really digging the thunderpants!!

balanced is just a wiring option. i use a balanced b22 with mine.

May 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,311 of 2,225
I'm about to attach a balanced cable onto my TPs but I don't have a balanced source to run them out of, lol. Oh well, future-proofing.

How are people currently damping their DIY thunderpants? I'm considering using Faust3D's damping scheme for his T50RP but I know people have been using transpore/micropore tape on the driver. I couldn't find info in this thread about it so I suspect it's buried in the Orthodynamic or T50RP thread, which are both quite large and very difficult to look through...

May 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,312 of 2,225
there are at least 2 or 3 damping schemes posted in this thread... where.. i dont know.. try the search feature.. or search for dbel's full user name as i believe he posted his damping scheme here, but dont quote me on that

heres one i found

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants/540

May 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,313 of 2,225

Quote:
I'm about to attach a balanced cable onto my TPs but I don't have a balanced source to run them out of, lol. Oh well, future-proofing.

How are people currently damping their DIY thunderpants? I'm considering using Faust3D's damping scheme for his T50RP but I know people have been using transpore/micropore tape on the driver. I couldn't find info in this thread about it so I suspect it's buried in the Orthodynamic or T50RP thread, which are both quite large and very difficult to look through...

Strongly recommend you skip the transpore and micropore and just use felt(s).  I played around a lot, and could never get them to sound right.  I don't have wood, yet, that's next...  :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,314 of 2,225

Quote:
Strongly recommend you skip the transpore and micropore and just use felt(s).  I played around a lot, and could never get them to sound right.  I don't have wood, yet, that's next...  :)

Agreed, the transpore/micropore combo failed to give the deep rich bass that the thick felt has. 

May 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,315 of 2,225
Got mine today. I'm not impressed yet. I have to crank up the volume almost to 90% on my xfi to get them to a level my hf2s were at. I have a lot of dynamat that I can put in there and see what I can do with these things. I also got the shire pads on there today. What a pain in the ass to get on.

May 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,316 of 2,225
guys/gals... please be more diligent in distinguishing between stock t50rp's and thunderpants. some of you seem to be describing your stock rp's and calling them or insinuating they are thunderpants... two very different animals

also .. modded rp's can be quite different sounding than thunderpants, especially if they are not "wododied"  and even then  

also its always good measure to distinguish from authentic smeggy made thunderpants, and those that you made yourself or that were made by someone else... again not only for propper acknowlegement but to help people distinguish your sound impressions.  "real" thunderpants will almost certainly sound different, and sometimes a lot different than any other variations.

so please be more specific as not to confuse other modders or people looking for accurate thunderpants impressions.

thanks

May 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,318 of 2,225

Quote:
Got mine today. I'm not impressed yet. I have to crank up the volume almost to 90% on my xfi to get them to a level my hf2s were at. I have a lot of dynamat that I can put in there and see what I can do with these things. I also got the shire pads on there today. What a pain in the ass to get on.

They're a hole different animal than balance armatures.  You need an amp.  The more you damp, the harder they are going to be to driver.

May 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #1,320 of 2,225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back