Thunderpants!
Jul 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #136 of 2,225

Quote:

Does this mean we should avoid buying waxed pieces, or is there some way to differentiate stressed pieces from good ones? 

I wouldn't buy my wood online if it's waxed blocks.  I missed the dark crack in my Cocobolo in person because of the waxed wood, but now that I know it can be a real problem, I think I would have been able to see the dark area that ended up being the seam/growth ring that cracked. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #138 of 2,225

Quote:

Does this mean we should avoid buying waxed pieces, or is there some way to differentiate stressed pieces from good ones? 

I'd just be sure to only buy waxed pieces in person so you can observe carefully. This happened to me as well, I was working with some cocobolo that split on me after 4 hours of work. If you buy from eBay you can pretty much rely on the sellers/dealers word, as they probably waxed the piece themselves. But still try tho observe to the best of your ability. 

Using proper safety precautions is always important, especially when working with south american rosewoods. A mask and safety glasses/face protector is very important. If possible, a dusk collector is best but they can be really expensive. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #139 of 2,225
Nearly all blanks are waxed so it's very hard to tell, even handling them can be misleading unless yup know what it should weigh when dry. often I can tell if something is too wet by holding it as Ive had a bit of practice now, not always though. If I cut up a damp block, I stick it in a thick paper bag with the other damp stuff and leave it to slowly dry out. Sometimes it will still crack but if it's not too bad I'll simply soak it in thin superglue as a stabilizer. It works pretty well and saves a lot of expensive wood from the scrap pile. I also do this to cups that seem like they may crack. I'll cut and sand the cups as normal, then I'll liberally coat them in superglue on the lathe. It soaks in and sets solidly and you can smooth that down and apply a finish to it.

The safest is to get a board which has been well dried, air or kiln. Even waxed stuff that's been around for years can be damp. Boards are also the right thickness to begin with and 4" wide is pretty common.

Talking of damp wood, I got a block of olive last week which still has bark and cobwebs on it which is already cracked quite badly, so i cut it done on the bandsaw and stuffed it into my damp bag in the hope that it will dry without too much more cracking as finding pieces of olive in cup sizes is getting hard and expensive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, it's a beautiful wood that's well worth the effort and time but boy is it soggy inside.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #140 of 2,225

Quote:
The safest is to get a board which has been well dried, air or kiln. Even waxed stuff that's been around for years can be damp. Boards are also the right thickness to begin with and 4" wide is pretty common.

Interesting. So what would be the moisture content of a well dried block of wood? 

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #142 of 2,225

Quote:
Interesting. So what would be the moisture content of a well dried block of wood? 

I'd say between 80-100%, I usually work with thicker blanks but it's probably the same with board lumber. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #143 of 2,225
sorry that would be 20-0%
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #145 of 2,225
I think thats the safe way to go if you don't have a local dealer. But like smeggy said, most lumber yards should carry a decent amount of dried blanks. Are you using a lathe or.... ? 

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #147 of 2,225
I just received my T50RP and wow I have to say, these must really need amplification. I couldn't properly assess them stock because I couldn't really hear much. The mids sounded natural from what I could hear but bass was lacking to say the least. Is it possible that I received a defective pair?

Since I don't have an amp yet I just used the Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugged them into my Iphone. 

Could anyone test theirs out without an amp right quick to confirm my findings?

Thanks guys.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #148 of 2,225

Quote:
I just received my T50RP and wow I have to say, these must really need amplification. I couldn't properly assess them stock because I couldn't really hear much. The mids sounded natural from what I could hear but bass was lacking to say the least. Is it possible that I received a defective pair?

Since I don't have an amp yet I just used the Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugged them into my Iphone. 

Could anyone test theirs out without an amp right quick to confirm my findings?

Thanks guys.

I don't need to--I tried them out of a portable player as well as my Hotaudio Bitperfect when I first got them.  They are almost as hard to drive as the K240M and the K340.  Even though their ohm rating is fairly low and they list the sensitivity high, these definitely benefit from an amp that can feed them plenty of current. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #149 of 2,225
They are very hard to drive. Much more than my HD650. I've tested them on the headphone out from my cheap speaker system, and I can confirm that while the HD650 could be driven to listenable volume at 9 o'clock position, it takes the system to 2 o'clock position to drive it at listenable volume. Forget about HE-5. at listenable volume, the cheap speaker system distorts heavily.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #150 of 2,225
Wow, I was unaware that they relied so much on an amp. Looks like I need to pull the trigger on an amp... Time to go fork over some more $$$....

Maybe I should just go rob a bank. Anyone know where I can get a nice ski mask and a pistol?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back