Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
Jan 2, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #601 of 785

You can later add balance amp to C2 which act as a preamp. Best of both world. I added Jotunheim to my C2 specfically for ZMF hps( vibro mk2 PH)

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #602 of 785
I'm buying an MDHT R2R DAC with is single ended. So here's the question ... if you had the ability to run both balanced and SE cables on a headphone, would you get better sound from the single ended DAC to the NFB-1 to balanced headphones vs SE DAC to C-2 11th to SE headphones?

Basically Single Ended DAC -> NFB-1 -> Balanced Headphone ...  VS ... Single Ended DAC -> C-2 11th -> Single Ended headphone

I had a similar choice to make and went with the C-2. You can use SE or XLR cables on the C-2. No, your XLR will not be balanced, but in my opinion you are losing nothing. You are gaining the ability to connect either type of cable and still get full power from the amp, whereas with NFB-1 you only get a fraction of the power on the SE connection. The fact that the C-2 has as much power running unbalanced as the NFB-1 does balanced tells me personally that the C-2 is the better amp.

I'm one of those people that thinks a well designed SE amp is the way to go for headphones. I'm putting my money where my mouth is as I have a Wells Audio Milo being built right now. It'll be run off my DAC-19 along with the C-2.

People will debate that all day long but all I care about is the sound quality and I find no innate value in balanced when running headphones.

BTW, the C-2 is no slouch running my HE-6s either.

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #603 of 785
Well I got my invoice for an NFB-1AMP from Kingwa, I'm ordering as soon as I get my paycheck.  I'm having him substitue an extra RCA output in place of the ACSS output because I couldn't think of any reason I would want ACSS out on my amp.

Edit: Ordered. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #605 of 785
annnnd they lowered the price 3 hours after I paid lol

By how much? Anyway you be glad hopefully. Good volume control and lots of i/os.

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #609 of 785

You didn't get a new year discount or anything did you?

I'm actually looking at the detailed invoice now, and it appears that I was mistaken.  Kingwa DID give me the new lower price AND the new year's discount.  (My paypal invoice just had the total price not a bill breakdown and I'm only now looking at the detailed invoice).  I was charged $461 for the NFB-1AMP (485 - 5%), $52 shipping, 3.7% paypal fee, 0.3% handling fee.  I saw the total of $533 and assumed it was the original price of $520 - 5% discount + shipping.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #611 of 785
Received my NFB-1Amp yesterday, really dwarfs my old NFB-12!  Still waiting on the balanced cable for my HD 650 so only enjoying half of it's power, and using the NFB-12 as a dac temporarily.  That being said, initial impressions are favorable :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #612 of 785
Received my NFB-1Amp yesterday, really dwarfs my old NFB-12!  Still waiting on the balanced cable for my HD 650 so only enjoying half of it's power, and using the NFB-12 as a dac temporarily.  That being said, initial impressions are favorable :)

Great! I'm eager to know how does it compare to your other amps at least NFB-1 on single ended if not balaned.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #613 of 785
Great! I'm eager to know how does it compare to your other amps at least NFB-1 on single ended if not balaned.

My Modi Multibit shipped today, so that'll be replacing the NFB-12, and I ordered a balanced HD650 cable from mimic-cables a little over 2 weeks ago so that should be shipping soon as well.  As soon as I get everything and have time for some serious listening I'll make a post with more detailed impressions.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #614 of 785
My Modi Multibit shipped today, so that'll be replacing the NFB-12, and I ordered a balanced HD650 cable from mimic-cables a little over 2 weeks ago so that should be shipping soon as well.  As soon as I get everything and have time for some serious listening I'll make a post with more detailed impressions.

That'd be great. Will have to wait for your impressions soon with patience.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #615 of 785
Got a problem with NFB-1AMP, I am getting lost left channel during listening and
sometimes the volume lost its level, when I turn the volume knob up or down, it returns
to expected volume.
Has any one experienced this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back