Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #587 of 785
Yiggy is burritos with spices:grimacing:More refine. I got the oppotunity to audition it. Hate the monstor size though:nerd:

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #589 of 785
I'm about to order an NFB-1AMP.  I just emailed them asking if I could get a third pair of RCA outs instead of the ACSS output.  I don't really think I'll need a 3x RCA preamp outs, but I honestly can't think of any use for the ACSS output unless you were using the NFB-1AMP as a preamp for a separate Audio GD amp (which I'm pretty sure I'd never do). I'm mainly asking to have them switched to RCA because their placement would allow the use of paired RCA cables without splitting them.

Just wanted to ask here if there's any reason you guys think I'd want to have the ACSS outputs on the NFB-1AMP.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #590 of 785
One more thing, reviews of the NFB-1AMP were hard to find, but I found one in this french magazine (LINK).  I don't speak french, so I got the text via OCR and ran it through google translate.  I'll leave the translated review in a spoiler below.

(I don't want to break any rules about linking to outside sites or infringe on any copyrights so I will remove this post if asked.)

NFB-1AMP

The Chinese manufacturer Audio-gd is known little by little in France by its converters of a ratio technology / price a priori ultra competitive. Here it is on the harness with a headphone amp NFB-1AMP which can also play the role of true Hi-Fi preamplifier. We find there the same great recipes of the other devices of this brand with a power announced very consequent: from the unpublished to this price ?

It was at the dawn of the 2000s that the Audio-gd brand began its activities under the leadership of He Qinghua, a training engineer, with the aim of producing audio devices of a very high degree of technological sophistication . Mr. He Qinghua has developed his own technology, called ACSS, an acronym of the Audio-GD Current Signal System, which provides audio transmission that is not in tension but running. Moreover, this designer is a fierce adept of truly symmetrical circuits with a rigorous pairing of the components used in the manufacture of all the models in the range, the latter being entirely mounted by hand in his workshops. All devices are also tested and listened to more than 100 hours before shipment, for these reasons the warranty is extended to 10 years.

A plethora of input and output

4 models form the range of Audio-gd preamps of which 3 act as a headphone amp. The NFB-1AMP is priced at entry level, but do not be misled, its performance is extremely high.  He takes over the technical lines of his big brother the Master 9. The dimensions of his box and all his possibilities class him irremediably in the camp headphone amps totally sedentary. From the size of a small traditional Hi-Fi integrated amplifier with its 240 x 360 x 80 mm, it is by removing the hood that we will understand, a little further, why. The cabinet, all metal with a thick black anodized brushed aluminum front slice with silver color controls. It has two headphone outputs on the front: an asymmetrical 6.35 mm jack and a symmetrical 4-way XLR. The front panel also houses a large blue-tinted display under which emerge three keys, each with a specific purpose: "Out" for the choice between preamp and headphone amp (P / H), "Gain" High or Low (H / L) which determines the travel of the volume potentiometer (0 to 63 or 0 to 99 steps), a very useful option depending on the sensitivity of the headphones and finally the "Input" key to choose between the 5 Made available to us. The rear face of the NFB-AMP1 reflects by its typical implantation the principle of operation of the device. It is divided into two totally symmetrical parts; The left and right inputs and outputs are mirrored with respect to the mains socket. We therefore have 5 inputs including two RCAs, two balanced XLRs and a mini-XLR for audio signals, which can be operated by a Dac of the brand or another compatible device. The outputs have the same types of sockets with RCA, XLR and mini-XLR ACSS, a connection found on the power blocks of the brand like Master 3 or 10. It is clear that Mr. He Qinghua is more technician than designer, the appearance of the device is quite "old-fashioned" compared to others. We feel we have fallen back 40 years. But under this dress a little rustre hides a much more advanced technology. 

Power circuits worthy of a real small integrated amp

The interior of the NFB-AMP1 reveals the full range of technologies deployed by the designer and leaves nothing to be desired. First, at the front of the main circuit, there is an oversized power supply with a high capacity R-Core transformer (± 15 VDC). The voltages of the gain circuits are regulated and then filtered by two electro-chemical capacitors of 3300 pF / 63 V Audio Grade from Nover and 4 other capacitors of 1500 pF from the same manufacturer. To the right of the transformer, a small circuit, all in discrete components, controls the controls and the display of the device. For amplification, Audio-gd boasts a so-called "Diamond Difference" editing all in discrete components without any amp-op or capability on the signal path. The balanced input stages are built around a J-FET transistor array, while the output stage has no less than eight 15-watt bipolar power transistors, all polarized in Class A (2 x 4 push-pull for the symmetrical configuration). They are mounted on independent heat sinks, so the announced power of 9000 mW at 25 ohms and 600 mW at 600 does not seem to be usurped. The other highlight of this Audio-gd NFB-AMP1 is the very high-end configuration of the volume control. Each step of the Potentiometer control of the switching relays, each of which activates a Dale resistor. This type of volume control makes it possible once again to preserve the quality of the signals, because at each switching therefore at each desired level, a single component intervenes in the path of the signal. The only drawback comes from small switching noises, and with the headset this is clearly understood. 

Listening: mastery, breadth and realism

The NFB-AMP1 is capable of developing enough power for all the most difficult headsets on the market, listening Does not show otherwise. This headphone preamplifier / amplifier immediately delivers a feeling of contained power while being able to release cascaded watts from the slightest solicitation. We feel that it never forces itself, but knows how to manage all sound levels with an almost insolent casualness. With our headphones Audeze LDC-X, we have the clear impression that this amp is strolling, and we can enjoy the full spectrum range that this orthodynamic headphone offers. In a way, the Audio-gd NFB-AMP1 is close to the impression left by the Arcam rHEAD (also tested in this guide) with this propensity to retain its sound signature even at high levels. Nevertheless, and while listening, it appears that while remaining overall less lively than its competitor, the NFB-AMP1 has no equal to expand the sound scene by pushing back far beyond its limits. The medium region seems perfectly balanced and full of resources and the acute that joins it is warm, but nevertheless has a silky and delicate side. The bass on its side is wide with some roundness, this amp being on this plane less alert and lively compared to the model Arcam or the RudiStor. 

On the song "River" of the lbeyi sisters' record, the sound scene opens in an extraordinary way. It's as if the recording room had simply grown with reverberations that vanish into a larger space. On the other hand, it appears that this apparatus never depreciates a certain softness without forgetting to return to us the minute details of a sound recording, but without putting forward artificially, a A sound signature that gives precisely this impression of sonorous realism. The drum of the introduction resonates with majesty, and imposes itself sublimely with an extinction of blows on the skin quite surprising. Bass is delivered while remaining clean. The voices of the sisters lbeyi arrive warm, sensual and singing and mark the sound of their magnificent presence whether in amp mode for headphones or preamp on our system. We have here a listening in relief with an almost holographic restitution of each interpreter and instrument, a quality that we will find on all CDs and files listened to. In this regard, the NFB-AMP1 is a total success. We wanted, at this time of the test, to judge the tonal credibility of this headphone amp. Nothing was better than Bach's Partitas No. 3 played by Hilary Hahn on the violin (16 bits / 44 kHz). At this time, the NFB-AMP1 admits qualities of delicate and nuanced timbres. Compared to other devices of this test, this amp sounds particularly right with a gradient of subjugating harmonics. We feel the bow slide over the strings of the instrument and the various note attacks are amazing realism. Beyond all this, the emotion of this interpretation is no longer the shadow of a doubt. Same observation with the Holland Baroque Society orchestra and Alexis Kossenko playing the Teleman (SACD). The play of the soloist is very precise, those of the whole orchestra in the background will be just as much. The impression of homogeneity denotes a balanced bandwidth and does not project any part of the spectrum forward. It is at the same time a sign of a certain rigor in the structure of the timbres, all the variety of sounds of this disc passing with a remarkable fluidity. It is singing and rich in emotion, two qualities that make it an unusual device in this price category.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #591 of 785
Has anyone compared the NFB 1amp vs the C2 11th? Is the NFB 1amp balanced output significantly better than the C2 11th SE output?

Both output are same power it depend whether to suit your choice of single ended or balance headphone but...,,,
I believe a true balance amp should have 2 power transformer and a single ended should have dual mono outputs:grimacing:

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #592 of 785
I'm about to order an NFB-1AMP.  I just emailed them asking if I could get a third pair of RCA outs instead of the ACSS output.  I don't really think I'll need a 3x RCA preamp outs, but I honestly can't think of any use for the ACSS output unless you were using the NFB-1AMP as a preamp for a separate Audio GD amp (which I'm pretty sure I'd never do). I'm mainly asking to have them switched to RCA because their placement would allow the use of paired RCA cables without splitting them.

Just wanted to ask here if there's any reason you guys think I'd want to have the ACSS outputs on the NFB-1AMP.

Can you do some listening impressions because the reviews are so limited?
Do you have other amplifiers to compare it against?
What dac and what headphones will you be using?:grinning:

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #593 of 785
Can you do some listening impressions because the reviews are so limited?
Do you have other amplifiers to compare it against?
What dac and what headphones will you be using?:grinning:

My opinion won't have much weight here as my listening experience is pretty limited.  I haven't listened to many amps to compare it to, to be honest.  I'm upgrading from an NFB-12 2011 model that I've been using for the last few years (my first dac/amp).  I'll be using the NFB-12 as a DAC into the NFB-1amp until I order a modi multibit (in a month or so).

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #595 of 785
Yes, that's the relay switches for the attenuator.  It's an excellent setup.  

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #596 of 785
I'm buying an MDHT R2R DAC with is single ended. So here's the question ... if you had the ability to run both balanced and SE cables on a headphone, would you get better sound from the single ended DAC to the NFB-1 to balanced headphones vs SE DAC to C-2 11th to SE headphones?

Basically Single Ended DAC -> NFB-1 -> Balanced Headphone ...  VS ... Single Ended DAC -> C-2 11th -> Single Ended headphone

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #597 of 785
I'm buying an MDHT R2R DAC with is single ended. So here's the question ... if you had the ability to run both balanced and SE cables on a headphone, would you get better sound from the single ended DAC to the NFB-1 to balanced headphones vs SE DAC to C-2 11th to SE headphones?

Basically Single Ended DAC -> NFB-1 -> Balanced Headphone ...  VS ... Single Ended DAC -> C-2 11th -> Single Ended headphone

Intended hp ?

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #598 of 785
Welcome Kingwa. C2 will be a better headphone amplifier from my Precision2, I expect very good dynamic, fast accurate sound, I would C2 also use as a preamplifier to P2, the handset is Audioqest NightHowk, Audeze LCD2, Focal ELEAR. I use google translator does not speak English

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #600 of 785

Users who are viewing this thread

Back