Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #767 of 1,485
So I’ve changed my mind again on the best tips for my M9. I’m back on the L Sony Silicone Hybrid and am now convinced these provide the best sound possible for the M9. Not the best fit for my ear canals but it’s managable.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #769 of 1,485
Ok so I have discovered that the M9 sounds best when the tips are NOT pushed in your ear so far that they create a suction effect seal. Just push them in, don't pull your ear lobe back and insert them even more. For me and my ears, the M9 sounds its' absolute best when the IEM is inserted just enough to create a seal, not so much that it's hard to pull them out. Try it! It's made a pretty dramatic difference to me!

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #770 of 1,485
Ok so I have discovered that the M9 sounds best when the tips are NOT pushed in your ear so far that they create a suction effect seal. Just push them in, don't pull your ear lobe back and insert them even more. For me and my ears, the M9 sounds its' absolute best when the IEM is inserted just enough to create a seal, not so much that it's hard to pull them out. Try it! It's made a pretty dramatic difference to me!

I can confirm this is true. When pushing the M9 deep inside the ears, it destroys the soundstage and bass quantity, which cause the sound quality weird and awful.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #771 of 1,485
I can confirm this is true. When pushing the M9 deep inside the ears, it destroys the soundstage and bass quantity, which cause the sound quality weird and awful.
Exactly! It had been bothering the HELL out of me how sometimes they sounded AMAZING and sometimes I was just like meh. Finally figured it out tonight! You’re spot on about soundstage and bass. Nail on the head man. It’s very dependent on insertion depth.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #772 of 1,485
Exactly! It had been bothering the HELL out of me how sometimes they sounded AMAZING and sometimes I was just like meh. Finally figured it out tonight! You’re spot on about soundstage and bass. Nail on the head man. It’s very dependent on insertion depth.
Thats how this hobby rolls. Basically the itch to buy is around the corner.
FB_IMG_1550425244796.jpg

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #775 of 1,485
So I’ve changed my mind again on the best tips for my M9. I’m back on the L Sony Silicone Hybrid and am now convinced these provide the best sound possible for the M9. Not the best fit for my ear canals but it’s managable.

In case you didn’t get the best isolation with Sony’s hybrid silicon, maybe Sony’s silicon ear tips used in the wireless earphones (transparent / grey ear tips) might be a solution, they’re slightly longer and also high quality, I usually have them with me while going to test some new IEMs and they’re great :) Even, if you don’t push them deep as you found it to be better sounding this way, the seal will be still better, imo.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #776 of 1,485
In case you didn’t get the best isolation with Sony’s hybrid silicon, maybe Sony’s silicon ear tips used in the wireless earphones (transparent / grey ear tips) might be a solution, they’re slightly longer and also high quality, I usually have them with me while going to test some new IEMs and they’re great :) Even, if you don’t push them deep as you found it to be better sounding this way, the seal will be still better, imo.
You know I suppose they fit just fine now that I know they don't need to be so far in your ear that they create a vacuum effect. If you have these IEMs shoved so far in your ear that they create a vacuum seal effect, you're doing it wrong! The sound quality will diminish if you have these shoved that far in your ear. Took me almost a month to figure that one out haha. But yeah since I've figured that out I'd say these Sony tips fit me just fine.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #777 of 1,485
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #778 of 1,485
just want to say because I made this mistake, but the main bulk of IER Z1R impression isn't here, but rather are on the https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-new-flagship.886120/page-84#post-14803619 one, been going for months with thousand of comments already lol.
this one really is focused more on the M7 and M9, maybe OP should change the title?
I actually made a dedicated thread for the M9 that hasn't really taken off yet but I wish it would. Just two pages I think. Search it up my dude!

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #779 of 1,485
I think its fine to just use this one for both M7 and M9, this already has decent enough traffic and subscribers after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back