This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #481 of 1,370
Initial impressions for the Magni: A little bright and it doesn't seem to roll off the bass. Since I'm using the Mad Dogs, I don't find the sound bad at all! I think that probably my HD600s will sound good through it too (since I have my HD600 paired with my NuForce Icon HDP which is also bright!).

Soundstage/Instrument separation lacks a bit against my Leckerton UHA-6SMKII but it's not a huge difference (at least not to my ears). Also, this little thing packs a punch! (that's what she said! :wink:). Volume is at 12 o'clock using the Mad Dogs and it is loud enough for my liking! (I can't imagine taking these to 3-4 on the dial...)

The amp indeed gets a bit warm... hopefully it will stand what my other amps at work are used to (i.e. 8 to 10 hours of continous power...)

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #482 of 1,370
Happily, I can confirm the Modi works fine with the ipad 3 via a powered USB hub.  My RE-262 IEMs are also humming along with the M&M (9:00 on the Magni).  Keep in mind, the RE-262s are relatively high impedance for IEMs.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #484 of 1,370
Quote:
Happily, I can confirm the Modi works fine with the ipad 3 via a powered USB hub.  My RE-262 IEMs are also humming along with the M&M (9:00 on the Magni).  Keep in mind, the RE-262s are relatively high impedance for IEMs.

Wait, I thought most DACs weren't compatible with iDevices? Don't most cost upwards of $400?

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #485 of 1,370
Wait, I thought most DACs weren't compatible with iDevices? Don't most cost upwards of $400?
iPads are an exception, Apple probably added it for USB keyboards and stuff.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #486 of 1,370
Quote:

Depends--just have to try 'em.  If you use a CCK kit adapter to get USB out and route it into a powered USB hub (so you aren't drawing current off the ipad) hooked up to the Modi--everything works fine. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #487 of 1,370
After the 50 hours of burn in recommended, these are my final impressions of the Magni.  The gear I used were the Dacport LX, Sennheiser HD650 (300 ohms, dark, weighty sound) and the Superlux HD660 (150 ohms, more forward and aggressive, brighter ).  For an amp costing $99, it is clean and well detailed.  After more comparisons, it clearly bests the cMoy in all areas of technicalities except one.  After listening to the Magni for the last 24 hours straight, switching back to the cMoy made the music sound foggier.  The instruments were less clearly defined and separated.  The fact that the Magni is brighter helps push treble details out more.  Although the amp never felt overly bright, I did notice more sibilance in vocals than with the cMoy.  The cMoy was a bit warmer in tonality, but again, I still find the Schiit to have a musical sound.  The bass is tighter and more detailed, although less punchy.  The mids are a bit less forward on the Magni, but cleaner and clearer.  The treble is much more prominent, but not too hot.  The one area where the cMoy still has the advantage is in sound-stage, which is a little wider than on the Magni.

All in all, this is a nice little amp, and a good bargain for the price.  It doesn't quite suit my needs for a home setup, due to the narrow sound-stage, so mine will be going back.  I see a lot of people talking about using this for an office rig, and for that, this amp will be very nice.  The thing I will miss the most is having an amp with RCA inputs in back.  The cMoy is a pain in the butt as a (temp) desktop amp with a nightmare of cables all connected in front of the amp.  I can't wait till my crack kit arrives.  As far as the Magni goes, as long as your expectations are in line, you won't be disappointed.  It is an excellent amp for the price.  I know someone said it sounds like a $400 dollar amp, and that is absurd.  If I had paid that much for this, I would be furious!  For what it is, it is a very nice deal.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #488 of 1,370
Quote:

Humming along may not be the best term to use when talking about IEMs..
biggrin.gif
   I'm just saying...

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #491 of 1,370
HOLY SCHIIT. They look so good they just replaced the FiiO E7/E9 combo on my Christmas list.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #492 of 1,370
HOLY SCHIIT. They look so good they just replaced the FiiO E7/E9 combo on my Christmas list.
They look amazing, don't they? Nothing Schiity about them. xD

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #493 of 1,370
Man, this thread is just a schiitload of Schiit jokes 
tongue.gif

Also, am I the only one who pronounces it "sheet"? I feel like that would be the proper way to say it...

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #494 of 1,370
Man, this thread is just a schiitload of Schiit jokes :p

Also, am I the only one who pronounces it "sheet"? I feel like that would be the proper way to say it...
Yeah, I'm getting tired of this Schiit. :D

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #495 of 1,370
Yup.. my Little Schiit is in the mail. Waiting patiently for its arrival.

Quote:
Man, this thread is just a schiitload of Schiit jokes 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back