This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #451 of 1,370
I'm actually quite excited to see how it handles IEMs. I think this would be a great little combo for IEM/portable can users that want a stack for home for when they want a little more juice, or if they decide to pick up some tougher to run full sized pairs down the road. They are good quality for the price, but are affordable enough to be an auxiliary for many people (at which I see many of you are doing anyways :D )

When I get my stack, I can compare vs. the D1 (from memory) and I can compare the Modi vs my Hifimediy Sabre DAC directly. Truth be told, I probably would be planning on just the Magni and using this DAC if I didn't have a very deep aesthetic love of stacks. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #452 of 1,370
The Magni's (fixed) 5x gain might make it a little too powerful for IEMs.. I hope not.. but I'll surely comment when my stack arrives.  I think the magni will sounds great.. but truth be told, I'm a little more interest in seeing what the Modi has to offer.  I absolutely love the ODAC and have no desire to get another DAC.. but like you, mosshorn, I've got a sweet spot for sexy looking stacks.. pancakes or otherwise.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #453 of 1,370
Quote:
I think one thing that may sway a lot of the initial impressions is the level of gear that they've been compared to. While we can't be for sure that they are "giant killers" by any means, I think these will be a fine upgrade from the E7/E9 combo that many of us started out with. Hell, I'm planning on getting this for my main desktop rig. Why? Because a good amount of my listening is portable, and I've been wanting a desktop solution for when I want to listen to the computer/CDP. And even though I've owned amps that cost more than this little unit, I don't have a ton of money to throw at upgrading my chain constantly. Unless this amp sounds appaling, I'll be planning on getting a tube hybrid to go along with these and calling it a day.

Although if you're buying very high end cans such as LCD-2/HE-500/HD800, I'm sure you'll have more than enough money for upgrades :p

But my LCD-2 purchase used up all my money...

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #454 of 1,370
Quote:
The Magni's (fixed) 5x gain might make it a little too powerful for IEMs.. I hope not.. but I'll surely comment when my stack arrives.  I think the magni will sounds great.. but truth be told, I'm a little more interest in seeing what the Modi has to offer.  I absolutely love the ODAC and have no desire to get another DAC.. but like you, mosshorn, I've got a sweet spot for sexy looking stacks.. pancakes or otherwise.

Here's to hoping the Tzar 90's will sound good with it :wink: 

Another question comes up: with the new USB app that allows a lot of phones to OTG-host now, with a powered USB hub, will the Modi work with Android? If so, I think the MAMO stack with something like a Nexus 7 could arguably be a stellar bedside/covert rig. I'll be testing this theory out whenever I get the Modi with my ICS Thunderbolt. 

Idk what it is about stacks, they are just so appealing. That's what's been holding me up on my PS1 CDP project. I'm going to take a second PS1 chassis to put the power supply in and make a nice stack, and I've been trying to find a cheap DIN cable/socket set :p

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #456 of 1,370
All the Magni/Modi pics on the Schiit website have the Magni stacked on top of the Modi.  e.g. http://schiit.com/cart/images/magni_02.jpg
When stacking the Magni/Modi, does the Magni produce enough heat (or any other reason) to require it to be on top or would it be OK to put the Modi on top? 
With the Lyr and the tubes on top or the Asgard with the heat produced by the Class A circuitry, putting the amp on top makes sense.
But in the case of the Magni/Modi, does it make any difference?
Jason?

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #458 of 1,370
Quote:
All the Magni/Modi pics on the Schiit website have the Magni stacked on top of the Modi.  e.g. http://schiit.com/cart/images/magni_02.jpg
When stacking the Magni/Modi, does the Magni produce enough heat (or any other reason) to require it to be on top or would it be OK to put the Modi on top? 
With the Lyr and the tubes on top or the Asgard with the heat produced by the Class A circuitry, putting the amp on top makes sense.
Jason?

It shouldn't, simply because Class AB amps are stupid efficient. I don't see much heat dissipating.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #459 of 1,370
Quote:
Well,

I have the M&M.  Great name for the combo by the way.

So far I've some time on the combo with the LCD-2.2 and the HE-500.  While this is not the best setup for these headphones.  It's by all means listenable.  Really depends on what your looking for.  For $200 it's not bad at all really.  The bass is sloppy and has the sound of some grain.  Ok, but that's compared to some TOL amps.  To me it's kinda bright.  The thing with these orthos is the amp really has to have the ability to keep the bass in line.  That lacks.  The bass is there and is not bass shy at all.  Just not good tight bass.  The LCD-2s sound better to me than the HE-500s does.  

Next:

HE-4
HD650s
Q701s
D5000

I'm skipping this amp since it doesn't have a good synergy with the HE-500, better for me to wait on the M8

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #460 of 1,370
Quote:
Jason?

It definitely gets warm.   Not "hot" but definitely warm - actually warmer than my class A hybrid amp.
Also, you would want the amp on top to make the headphone jack, the off switch and the volume control more accessible.   (In fact, in my setup, my DAC is mounted on the back of my equipment rack, out of sight, since I never have to do anything with the hardware.)

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #463 of 1,370
Quote:
I'm skipping this amp since it doesn't have a good synergy with the HE-500, better for me to wait on the M8

What amp for $99 (or less) has a great synergy with the HE-500 and puts out over 1000 mwatts ?

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #464 of 1,370
Quote:

Hey,

Don't let me stop you.  This is compared so some pretty TOL amps.   Like I said it's very listenable.  May be even pretty good for some.  Get it, try it out.  You might like it.

Ok i will give it a try, but the Magni is still unavailable on my local audio store, i'm gonna audition it first when it's arrived to see whether i like it or not.. Thanks prep
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back