This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #392 of 1,370
Quote:
a little bit out of subject but
ASGARD: STATUS: Backordered. Orders placed now will ship mid-January. ouch, so if you want a SS amp without having to wait a month you gotta go with the magni.

Is it one of their schiity ploys to make us buy the magni?! Nah they probably got all hands making magni/modi and other models or making another batch.  Waiting for the reviews... few more days

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #393 of 1,370
Quote:
Is it one of their schiity ploys to make us buy the magni?! Nah they probably got all hands making magni/modi and other models or making another batch.  Waiting for the reviews... few more days

When would you expect to see reviews. I have Audioengine A5+ speakers that I love. Mostly I just stream MOG and Pandora. Not sure if I'm gonna go for the Audioengine D1 (because it was designed for the A5+es), or the Modi (because it's probably higher quality and definitely less expensive). Since I don't use headphones, I've no need for the amp.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #394 of 1,370
Quote:
Same, the Magni/Modi stack looks AMAZING... if only it used glowing red-orange vacuum tubes!
biggrin.gif
Please add this Schiit!
redface.gif

DIY-time ... add a few amber LEDs like the Lyr!   
darthsmile.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #395 of 1,370
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #396 of 1,370
When would you expect to see reviews. I have Audioengine A5+ speakers that I love. Mostly I just stream MOG and Pandora. Not sure if I'm gonna go for the Audioengine D1 (because it was designed for the A5+es), or the Modi (because it's probably higher quality and definitely less expensive). Since I don't use headphones, I've no need for the amp.

I seriously lost count on how many times you've said you don't need a headphone amp. Why do you keep debating between an Audioengine D1?? It's just a DAC and headphone amp. Why keep looking at it if it has something you don't need? It wasn't designed for the A5s, it's just another of their product line. Get a stand alone DAC like a HRT music streamer II or the new Modi or one of the numerous amount of stand alone DACs. No need for so much fuss.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #397 of 1,370
My order for both the little Schiits have been pending for 5 days now. I'm worried.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #399 of 1,370
Nope. Though I haven't contacted them. I'll give them until Thursday.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #400 of 1,370

Meaningful reviews? That is, ones that involve allowing the DAC to burn in and then doing copious critical listening beyond the initial 'honeymoon' period?

2 to 3 weeks. Perhaps a bit longer since most people buying the Modi and also buying the Magni meaning it will be a while before they get around to just critiquing the Modi alone with an amp they already know.

If you want to know sooner, buy one for $99 and try it. Don't like it? Return it and get $85 back or sell it to a friend or in the sales forum for the same.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #403 of 1,370
A single color-changing LED on the Modi that indicates the incoming sample rate, like the Audioquest Dragonfly does, would be handy.
Yeah, shining in a milky plastic fake vacuum tube. xD

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #404 of 1,370
Got the Magni today... So tiny and pretty!!! (That's what she said... wait... :p)

BUT, don't have my super duper special Monoprice RCA cables yet, so haven't tested!
Hopefully it will "do".
I will only use it at work but as far as specs go, it should be PLENTY powerful for what I use here (Mad Dogs, Ultrasone Signature Pro.)

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #405 of 1,370
Got the Magni today... So tiny and pretty!!! (That's what she said... wait... :p)

BUT, don't have my super duper special Monoprice RCA cables yet, so haven't tested!
Hopefully it will "do".
I will only use it at work but as far as specs go, it should be PLENTY powerful for what I use here (Mad Dogs, Ultrasone Signature Pro.)
So... how do you like the tiny "thing" :p so far?

EDIT: You can't use your "thing" until the mailwoman comes, right? xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back