This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #362 of 1,370
A good piece of tech is a good piece of tech.

I'm so used to seeing people on Head-fi throw their old stuff under the bus once they get something shiny and new. It's actually quite hilarious.

I'm a bit more realistic in my approach. :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on expectation bias.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #363 of 1,370
I couldn't have said it better myself, M.L.E.
Love how as soon as a new piece of Schiit is out, people start attacking the old popular stuff.
First of all, the E17 is a PORTABLE dac/amp. It has an optical/coaxial input, variable bass and treble control, gain, left/right controls.
It is a very good, feature packed DAC/Amp.
The Magni and Modi combo is NOT portable, and has just an RCA input/usb. There are no options. You just set and forget.
The two are not comparable. Christ.
The Magni is more of a comparison to the E9K. THE E9K has an RCA in, line out, and pre-out. The Magni only has an RCA input.
Do I think the Magni is going to sound better? Yes... slightly. It has a little more power, and better output impedance. However, haters gonna hate.
It's funny really.
I compared the ODAC to the E17 DAC, and the two were seriously so close in sound, it wasnt worth even mentioning. The E17 was just a hair brighter. As far as amping, I felt the E9K was quite good even next to my $500 Audio GD SA-31.
I really hate the utter hyperbole spewed on head-fi. Just because something is new, doesnt meant older stuff is going to be obsolete. I got the mini Schiit stack because I don't need the portability of the E17 and I fell for the Schiit aesthetics. That's all. The E17 is a stellar device. If you're gonna compare, make sure its with something that's actually like it in power and features.
You don't compare a 32" TV to a 65". I remember why Head-fi disgusts me at times.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #364 of 1,370
Quote:
Love how as soon as a new piece of Schiit is out, people start attacking the old popular stuff.
First of all, the E17 is a PORTABLE dac/amp. It has an optical/coaxial input, variable bass and treble control, gain, left/right controls.
It is a very good, feature packed DAC/Amp.
The Magni and Modi combo is NOT portable, and has just an RCA input/usb. There are no options. You just set and forget.
The two are not comparable. Christ.
The Magni is more of a comparison to the E9K. THE E9K has an RCA in, line out, and pre-out. The Magni only has an RCA input.
Do I think the Magni is going to sound better? Yes... slightly. It has a little more power, and better output impedance. However, haters gonna hate.
It's funny really.
I compared the ODAC to the E17 DAC, and the two were seriously so close in sound, it wasnt worth even mentioning. The E17 was just a hair brighter. As far as amping, I felt the E9K was quite good even next to my $500 Audio GD SA-31.
I really hate the utter hyperbole spewed on head-fi. Just because something is new, doesnt meant older stuff is going to be obsolete. I got the mini Schiit stack because I don't need the portability of the E17 and I fell for the Schiit aesthetics. That's all. The E17 is a stellar device. If you're gonna compare, make sure its with something that's actually like it in power and features.
You don't compare a 32" TV to a 65". I remember why Head-fi disgusts me at times.

Well I'm the one who asked the initial question and I was speaking only to the output power!

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #365 of 1,370
As stated, the E17 is a portable amp/dac, with portable amp power. The Magni is a desktop amp. Of course its gonna have considerably more power. That is until the Fiio E12 is released which has desktop power in a portable amp package.

People buy Fiio because Fiio makes good tech at an affordable price. They get better and better, but of course people see 'Fiio' and already wanna dismiss anything they make.

Now, there certainly is a more competitive market in the affordable price range, yet it doesn't make Fiio any less legitimate. Schiit is very smart to put attractive items in that price bracket. The Magni and Modi are sure to be huge hits, though if they don't sell in popular online stores like Amazon, they won't be as huge as they can be. It's understandable though.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #366 of 1,370
Quote:
As stated, the E17 is a portable amp/dac, with portable amp power. The Magni is a desktop amp. Of course its gonna have considerably more power. That is until the Fiio E12 is released which has desktop power in a portable amp package.
People buy Fiio because Fiio makes good tech at an affordable price. They get better and better, but of course people see 'Fiio' and already wanna dismiss anything they make.
Now, there certainly is a more competitive market in the affordable price range, yet it doesn't make Fiio any less legitimate. Schiit is very smart to put attractive items in that price bracket. The Magni and Modi are sure to be huge hits, though if they don't sell in popular online stores like Amazon, they won't be as huge as they can be. It's understandable though.

Of course - I was asking because I was told by some folks that the E17 drove the HE-400 well, and it shocked me a little, as I own the E17 (and love it), so I was asking to the power of the Magni, is all. Probably looking for a bit of instant gratification, but still.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #367 of 1,370
The E17 does drive the HE400 well. Believe it or not, the HE-400 doesn't need a lot of power, compared to older planars. It sounds great off practically anything (even unamped), and it doesn't scale up with power as much as other headphones. My older Q701 really scaled up well. The DT990 32ohm scales better than the HE-400. Just personal experiences.

I have compared the E17 directly with my SA-31 (10 watts at 40ohm!). The difference was more tonal balance of the amp being better on the SA-31 than the huge power difference. The E17 still sounded very, very good with the HE-400 though I didn't particularly like the E17's brighter tone which isn't a good match to the already bright treble in the HE-400 if using the E17 with no EQ adjustment. That's where the E17's treble controls became very helpful, and a -2 or -4 treble setting was all that it needed to sound fantastic off the E17.

People overthink how much power a headphone needs. There is more to headphones and amps than just power.

It wouldn't surprise me if the E17 with it's EQ settings would make the HE-400 more pleasing than the Magni. That's what happens when you can tweak the sound to your liking, though limited.

This is a Magni thread, so we're getting off-topic. Just wanted to impart my personal UNBIASED experiences. I'm a lover of GOOD tech, no matter who makes it. Unlike others, I won't bash something for the sake of bashing, nor will I state utter hyperbole as one amp being clearly better than another. From my personal experience, it's more subtle than anything. The best imporvement is found in headphones, not amp/dacs (as long as they're worth their two cents).

I'm eagerly awaiting for my Magni and Modi, and I'm fairly certain I will love them. Maybe even enough to put my SA-31 and ODAC up for sale. I wanna focus on what matters most in the chain, headphones.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #368 of 1,370
Quote:
The E17 does drive the HE400 well. Believe it or not, the HE-400 doesn't need a lot of power, compared to older planars. It sounds great off practically anything (even unamped), and it doesn't scale up with power like other headphones. My older Q701 really scaled up well. The DT990 32ohm scales better than the HE-400. Just personal experiences.
I have compared the E17 directly with my SA-31 (10 watts at 40ohm!). The difference was more tonal balance of the amp being better on the SA-31 than the huge power difference. The E17 still sounded very, very good with the HE-400 though I didn't particularly like the E17's brighter tone which isn't a good match to the already bright treble in the HE-400 if using the E17 with no EQ adjustment. That's where the E17's treble controls became very helpful, and a -2 or -4 treble setting was all that it needed to sound fantastic off the E17.
People overthink how much power a headphone needs. There is more to headphones and amps than just power.
It wouldn't surprise me if the E17 with it's EQ settings would make the HE-400 more pleasing than the Magni. That's what happens when you can tweak the sound to your liking, though limited.
This is a Magni thread, so we're getting off-topic. Just wanted to impart my personal UNBIASED experiences. I'm a lover of GOOD tech, no matter who makes it. Unlike others, I won't bash something for the sake of bashing, nor will I state utter hyperbole as one amp being clearly better than another. From my personal experience, it's more subtle than anything. The best imporvement is found in headphones, not amp/dacs (as long as they're worth their two cents).
I'm eagerly awaiting for my Magni and Modi, and I'm fairly certain I will love them. Maybe even enough to put my SA-31 and ODAC up for sale.

Yeah I was very surprised how much I enjoyed using different EQ settings with the E17. I use them to get my perfect sound out of IEMs (Miles Davis Trumpet, UE900, Red Giant A03), but haven't really used it to drive anything more powerful. I guess I just assumed it wasn't what I needed. Now that I know it will work, I'm probably going to sell my Little Dot MKIII and buy the Magni and Modi (my current DACs are the E17 and a Muse DAC from eBay for $40) just to try 'em all out with little risk.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #369 of 1,370
Can you guys imagine Schiit making a portable (truly portable) solution?!?

**Everyone Looking at Jason**

:wink:

My amp is already at my local post office!
So I'll get it tomorrow!

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #370 of 1,370
I can already see it. The Schiit Einherjar portable amp.

wiki

In Norse mythology, the einherjar (Old Norse "lone fighters"[1]) are those that have died in battle and are brought to Valhalla by valkyries. In Valhalla, the einherjar eat their fill of the nightly-resurrecting beast Sæhrímnir, and are brought their fill of mead (from the udder of the goat Heiðrún) by valkyries. The einherjar prepare daily for the events of Ragnarök, when they will advance for an immense battle at the field of Vígríðr.

The einherjar are attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources, the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, the poem Hákonarmál (by the 10th century skald Eyvindr skáldaspillir) as collected in Heimskringla, and a stanza of an anonymous 10th century poem commemorating the death of Eric Bloodaxe known as Eiríksmál as compiled in Fagrskinna.

Scholarly theories have been proposed etymologically connecting the einherjar to the Harii (a Germanic tribe attested in the 1st century CE), the eternal battle of Hjaðningavíg, and the Wild Hunt. The einherjar have been the subject of works of art and poetry.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #371 of 1,370
Quote:

The Schiit FAQs are your friend.

What do you think the inner chassis on all Schiit products is made from? Powder-coated steel.

Magni and Modi are the same, we just don't have the external aluminum U-chassis. 

They are very solid. 

Hi Jason,
Is the outer chassis also powder-coated, painted or something else?
Thanks!

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #372 of 1,370
Very awesome. Getting a Magni for myself soon.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #374 of 1,370
Regarding "transparency"...

It's exactly the same as the usual use of the word.

When a window is dirty, you can't see the things clearly on the other side of the window - if there is a tree, then the leaves are just green blobs.

Then you clean the window, and you can see more detail in everything, you can see the shape of the leaves on the tree, and even the veins in the leaves.

Same thing in music.

Note that it all makes a lot more sense with reference to acoustic instruments, where there is a definable oboe or violin sound that you can know by simply hearing one live in the same room.   With modern electronic music, it's harder to tell if the sound has been distorted in some way by your equpment, because you don't know what the original sound was.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #375 of 1,370
Regarding "transparency"...

It's exactly the same as the usual use of the word.

When a window is dirty, you can't see the things clearly on the other side of the window - if there is a tree, then the leaves are just green blobs.

Then you clean the window, and you can see more detail in everything, you can see the shape of the leaves on the tree, and even the veins in the leaves.

Same thing in music.

Note that it all makes a lot more sense with reference to acoustic instruments, where there is a definable oboe or violin sound that you can know by simply hearing one live in the same room.   With modern electronic music, it's harder to tell if the sound has been distorted in some way by your equpment, because you don't know what the original sound was.

This! I don't agree with the dirty window example, i think that would be better to discribe clarity.

If the trees are just green blobs, it isn't really realistic or lively looking at all. Just image transparency like that but with sound. You can see the leaf and detail, along with the physics of the tree being moved by the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back