This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #376 of 1,370
Hm, I'll have the ODAC soon enough, but I may pick up a Modi to compare. It would also be nice to have 2 DACs since swapping the DAC between my headphone and speaker setup would be a pain.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #377 of 1,370
Schiit is certainly getting a lot of customers. Right move at the right time. Good schiit right there. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Don't see the point of going portable w/ full phones (me personally). When you're walking/going somewhere in public, you need your ears in order to be safe. Only possible reason would be because the phones easy to drive/you'll be going to somewhere like the library/vacation and don't want to bring schiit with you. I actually find blocking out your hearing in public/a car to be very absurd... so IEMs don't cut it either. Or you just want to move freely in your house. I just can't do more than one thing at a time. Just my opinion on portability and some safety precautions.  

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #379 of 1,370
Quote:
These things are super small.  I mean tiny.  I never had amp / dac this small before.  Performance wise..  Good to go so far..

What phones have been using out of your collection? does this combo work well with the HE500s in your opinion? 

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #380 of 1,370
@Jason -

Why is there no pic of the Modi board shown on the Schitt product page?
The pic of the Magni amp board is nice, revealing a pleasing well populated symmetry.

So what's up with the Modi?

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #381 of 1,370
Why is there no pic of the Modi board shown on the Schitt product page?
The pic of the Magni amp's board is nice, revealing a pleasing well populated symmetry.

So what's up with the Modi?

I did the photography for the Modi and Magni. Schiit didn't have a production board to spare at the time when we did the shoot. They are shipping me one this week and I'll have it back to them (and thus, to you) the week after Christmas.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #383 of 1,370
Quote:
Hm, I'll have the ODAC soon enough, but I may pick up a Modi to compare. It would also be nice to have 2 DACs since swapping the DAC between my headphone and speaker setup would be a pain.

Anyone else have any comparisons, or plan on doing one? Just bought an asgard last month, trying to decide on a DAC.  Was planning on the ODAC but now with the Modi out I'm unsure what's the better option.  I'm a huge fan of schiit aesthetics though so that might just be the dealbreaker.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #384 of 1,370
Anyone else have any comparisons, or plan on doing one? Just bought an asgard last month, trying to decide on a DAC.  Was planning on the ODAC but now with the Modi out I'm unsure what's the better option.  I'm a huge fan of schiit aesthetics though so that might just be the dealbreaker.
Same, the Magni/Modi stack looks AMAZING... if only it used glowing red-orange vacuum tubes! :D Please add this Schiit! :xf_eek:

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #385 of 1,370
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say neither. USB-powered DACs aren't the best because USB ports are very noisy. IEMs will make it very obvious.

I'd suggest going for something with an independant power supply, like a Bifrost, or maybe a FiiO D03k if you're looking at the lower end. Keep in mind though, the FiiO is optical only, so you'll need a soundcard with an optical port if your motherboard doesn't have one.

Also, to avoid confusion, yes the D03k has a USB port on it, but that doesn't transfer audio. FiiO includes an adapter for the D03k that plugs into the wall.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #386 of 1,370
USB is fine, assuming the device with the USB doesn't have noisy outputs.

I get zero noise out of certain USBs. My ODAC is dead silent out of my less than stellar USBs anyways.

Same, the Magni/Modi stack looks AMAZING... if only it used glowing red-orange vacuum tubes! biggrin.gif Please add this Schiit! redface.gif

No, thank you. I prefer my amps perfectly maintenance free.

My shipping status has been pending since I ordered it Thursday. What's going on? :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #387 of 1,370
Quote:
USB is fine, assuming the device with the USB doesn't have noisy outputs.
I get zero noise out of certain USBs. My ODAC is dead silent out of my less than stellar USBs anyways.
No, thank you. I prefer my amps perfectly maintenance free.
My shipping status has been pending since I ordered it Thursday. What's going on?
frown.gif

The holdup with everyone buying. Unless I'm talking about something completely different :s

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #388 of 1,370
Hmmm - I really like the sound out of my AudioQuest DragonFly and AudioEngine D1 (both USB powered dac/amps) and ordered the Magni to provide some extra punch.  Before I got the Bifrost, the D1 was my DAC (feeding the Lyr) and did pretty well and I could have lived with it but had to try the Bifrost.  The Bifrost provides a more air, dynamics and detail.
Not sure how the 'noisy USB port' would impact the sound.  No problems with a 2009 and now a 2012 Mac Mini and a 2011 MacBook air.  
I've been listening to the Bifrost/Lyr combo for the last hour or so and I just hooked up the D1 to the Lyr when I saw your post - pretty sweet but with less air, dynamics and dimensionality than the Bifrost. 
I'm sure the Modi would be just fine, especially with the Magni.
Quote:
I'd say neither. USB-powered DACs aren't the best because USB ports are very noisy. IEMs will make it very obvious.

I'd suggest going for something with an independant power supply, like a Bifrost, or maybe a FiiO D03k if you're looking at the lower end. Keep in mind though, the FiiO is optical only, so you'll need a soundcard with an optical port if your motherboard doesn't have one.

Also, to avoid confusion, yes the D03k has a USB port on it, but that doesn't transfer audio. FiiO includes an adapter for the D03k that plugs into the wall.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #390 of 1,370
Quote:
Schiit is certainly getting a lot of customers. Right move at the right time. Good schiit right there. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Don't see the point of going portable w/ full phones (me personally). When you're walking/going somewhere in public, you need your ears in order to be safe. Only possible reason would be because the phones easy to drive/you'll be going to somewhere like the library/vacation and don't want to bring schiit with you. I actually find blocking out your hearing in public/a car to be very absurd... so IEMs don't cut it either. Or you just want to move freely in your house. I just can't do more than one thing at a time. Just my opinion on portability and some safety precautions.  

I try to keep more aware when out and about, extra cautious.
Good points all around though considering some of the drivers these days..

It made me think of a possible future idea for Schitt.
I wonder if they would ever consider a small portable ( not transportable ) amp design. I'd pay the premium/extra knowing it was made by them, and in the U.S.

Just putting it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back