This Schiit is Bananas! $99 Schiit Magni Amp and $99 Modi DAC
Dec 15, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #242 of 1,370
Yea the magni will drive them fine but so far from reading it looks like its a pretty neutral sounding amp and you probably wont like that with the he-400.
It will be interesting to see how punchy this amp is.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #243 of 1,370
I bought the Magni and Xonar Essence One Muses Edition for $800. (Sigh.. $50 per opamp, 6 needed. *cries*)
Will compare both to the NuForce Icon HDP soon.

- Timothy

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #244 of 1,370
Quote:
Sweet mama. If I'm ever going to get a DAC/amp combo, this'd be my first choice. Same time, i've just dropped quite a bit on a new pair that have a low impedence (24 ohms), so I'm not sure about the amp. New to computer audio involving dac/amps :s 

Sorry if I confused you, or anyone else. This amp has the lowest output impedance I have ever seen, which means low impedance headphones are not a problem at all, quite the opposite. But be wary if your headphones also have a high sensitivity, say over 100 dB/mW -- which is highly probable if they are low impedance, but not exactly necessary. This will mean loud listening levels at very low volume settings... and so, if you like to listen loud anyways, don't give a schiit about this problem, just have fun instead!
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #245 of 1,370
Quote:
I just bought the odac last week :frowning2:

Don't feel bad at all about getting an ODAC.  Regardless of how the Modi sounds, the ODAC is still a tremendous value and a good sounding DAC.  I will be comparing my ODAC to the Modi once I receive the Modi.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #248 of 1,370
Wait, so both the Magni and Modi aren't made from the same aluminum construction as their other amps/DACs? Also, why does the headphone input on the Magni stick out like that? It looks awkward or something. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #249 of 1,370
Quote:
Is that good for the amps? ....

The final amp downstream of the volume pot in virtually any audio chain operates at a fixed gain. The volume pot in a headamp is essentially the first thing the input signal sees, and it only serves to attenuate the input signal--it doesn't decrease the gain of the headamp output stage.

The volume pot should be as far downstream as possible to maximize signal to noise, but as noted above, if it's on the output of a DAC or input of a headamp, it's pretty much the same.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #250 of 1,370
Quote:
Wait, so both the Magni and Modi aren't made from the same aluminum construction as their other amps/DACs? Also, why does the headphone input on the Magni stick out like that? It looks awkward or something. 

I heard steel instead of aluminum mentioned in this thread but is not indicated on the product page. However, you can tell they are painted by looking at the pictures due to the orange peel on the finish, so I am inclined to believe the steel comment.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #251 of 1,370
Quote:

Steel chassis are cheaper but still fine from a shielding standpoint. These components are relatively small and light anyway, so there is probably no tangible benefit to justify a custom aluminum chassis at this price point.

And that's the headphone output, not an input.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #252 of 1,370
Quote:

The final amp downstream of the volume pot in virtually any audio chain operates at a fixed gain. The volume pot in a headamp is essentially the first thing the input signal sees, and it only serves to attenuate the input signal--it doesn't decrease the gain of the headamp output stage.

The volume pot should be as far downstream as possible to maximize signal to noise, but as noted above, if it's on the output of a DAC or input of a headamp, it's pretty much the same.

Though just to note, there are a few amps out there (Jan Meier's Stepdance/Quickstep come to mind) where the pot actually controls the gain of the amplifier. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #253 of 1,370
Though just to note, there are a few amps out there (Jan Meier's Stepdance/Quickstep come to mind) where the pot actually controls the gain of the amplifier. 

I'm pretty sure the step dance and quickstep aren't variable gain. They just uses digitally controlled stepped attenuator. I do think the pico slim is though.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #254 of 1,370
Quote:

Steel chassis are cheaper but still fine from a shielding standpoint. These components are relatively small and light anyway, so there is probably no tangible benefit to justify a custom aluminum chassis at this price point.

And that's the headphone output, not an input.

The Schiit FAQs are your friend.

What do you think the inner chassis on all Schiit products is made from? Powder-coated steel.

Magni and Modi are the same, we just don't have the external aluminum U-chassis. 

They are very solid. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #255 of 1,370
Oh, I just thought Planar's needed massive amounts of power, as I don't have the HE400's yet to see, but this combo now looks AMAZING for the price, just waiting for some reviews first, and if it's good, I will then I'll sell my Titanium HD and use my Christmas money to buy the combo. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back