This Place Is Overrun With Newbies!
Aug 16, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #62 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting list, from my point of view...

If you expect you're going to speak and everyone is going to listen you're not going to last long, the frustration will eat you up. You offer your opinion and people either listen to it or not. Either way, it's all the same to me (Other than I always loved PM's from folks who loved their equipment which I suggested. That always put a smile on my face. Of course, some hated it also and that took it back off).

This is the Internet, that does seem to be the same everywhere not matter what forum. People have brain farts, people are busy, want to help and don't take the time to read closely because they are rushing elsewhere. I've been guilty of it myself. Again, I don't think that would disturb most folks and those it does won't last long enough to be a long time member anyway...

Read above comments. Again, if the OP is dumb enough to buy without checking that the equipment meets their needs, well, they need the education on how the Internet recommendation system works!
biggrin.gif

Hey, I enjoy making those posts!
tongue.gif

It's a discussion with other people. Yeah, they can tend to wander depending on what's on their mind but hey, they do that in real life also...
L3000.gif

People who have only tried one brand and enjoyed it will recommend it. The majority of people will have enough common sense not to be trying everything under the sun. Those that don't have that common sense, well, are the best people to get recommendations from.
beerchug.gif
Is it annoying, well somewhat but it's also human nature and if it bothers you, then you won't be a long time member either.

Quite honestly, I think you missed the mark on this one. I think most of the folks who have left have done it because they've said all they had to say and it's time to move on to something else! Now, let's see if I can dig up some Kirosia threads so I can add to my fluff posts...
tongue.gif

I really don't feel bothered for most of the things I've commented, it's just a reflection. I take this "as is" and once I feel I have nothing to learn nor to share, I'll move on. However I still think that if people spent more time reading the OP and replies before writing anything, and tried to be more honest speaking only of the things they know well, the general quality of the site would get back to what it once was. Not it's bad now, but it can be improved.
Personally when I see a topic title that I find uninteresting I just skip it, and when I see someone whose judgment or thinking I can't agree has replied, I skip his posts too. I'm here to have fun, no need to waste valuable time on those things.

We're in agreement that many people who leaves a forum is because they've said it all, and also they've learned all they needed to. But there're people who leave for other reasons which perhaps could be fixed and prevented.

Rgrds

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #63 of 117
What's interesting is that I feel more like a newbie than one year ago. When I first came around, I knew very little, lurked, went to meets, asked a lot of questions and looked to others with more knowledge for answers. There then came a point where I'd heard most of the headphones talked about with most of the amps and some of the sources discussed in the threads. I was able to be helpful, post my opinion, ask and answer good questions because I had experience with the gear being talked about at the time. After I'd gotten my rigs fairly well put together, it seemed as if there was suddenly an explosion in new gear, mostly in amps, dacs, and iems. I've not heard, and probably won't hear, much of what's now being discussed, so I'm back to lurking, going to meets, asking a few questions, and gabbing with the friends I've met here. I only post opinions on gear when I know what I'm talking about, but it seems that those with experience with the newer gear sometimes discount the experience of others who may have something to offer, but don't share the same references. It's just the way it is, so I'm a newbie again, and that's okay with me.

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #64 of 117
^yep, when I finally got my dream headphone, the K1000, a few years ago there just didn't seem much of a reason to keep up with all the new releases.

Still curious about the sony PFRV1 and the Stax in ears, but even those I am not too interested in chasing down.

And of course I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying in between the lines on your post... Don't critique gear you haven't heard!

Happy listening.

EDIT: almost forgot what this thread was even about....

Jude, thank you for providing a place for me to learn about audio. It's been said before by myself and others, but without Head-Fi I really wouldn't have had a good place to learn about different equipment efficiently. Thank you.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #65 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However I still think that if people spent more time reading the OP and replies before writing anything, and tried to be more honest speaking only of the things they know well, the general quality of the site would get back to what it once was.

But that stuff has always gone on, note SovKiller's custom title. I think you used to have a few people that really listened in each of the forums and they've moved on. Just means we need some new ones. In the meantime, do what you can, it's better to light a single candle than curse the darkness.

Aug 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #66 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's interesting is that I feel more like a newbie than one year ago. When I first came around, I knew very little, lurked, went to meets, asked a lot of questions and looked to others with more knowledge for answers. There then came a point where I'd heard most of the headphones talked about with most of the amps and some of the sources discussed in the threads. I was able to be helpful, post my opinion, ask and answer good questions because I had experience with the gear being talked about at the time. After I'd gotten my rigs fairly well put together, it seemed as if there was suddenly an explosion in new gear, mostly in amps, dacs, and iems. I've not heard, and probably won't hear, much of what's now being discussed, so I'm back to lurking, going to meets, asking a few questions, and gabbing with the friends I've met here. I only post opinions on gear when I know what I'm talking about, but it seems that those with experience with the newer gear sometimes discount the experience of others who may have something to offer, but don't share the same references. It's just the way it is, so I'm a newbie again, and that's okay with me.

Pretty much describes me too. Lot's of new gear out there and I'm not going to buy it to listen to it...
icon10.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #68 of 117
Great topic Jude.
I have to say that most of the newbies on Head-fi are somewhat lazy to use the search function thus making them create a new redundant topic.

Well, being somewhat evil.
If I ever see another "Best" thread or "Does X sound as good as Y" thread by someone who looks new enough, I'll just post, "Use the search function". *evil laugh* or just post a link to another thread. Unless they already stated that they had used the search function without yielding any results (which I doubt most of the time).

Seriously, a lot of us members spoil new members by posting things which has already been said in other threads.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #69 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I ever see another "Best" thread or "Does X sound as good as Y" thread by someone who looks new enough, I'll just post, "Use the search function". *evil laugh* or just post a link to another thread. Unless they already stated that they had used the search function without yielding any results (which I doubt most of the time).

Seriously, a lot of us members spoil new members by posting things which has already been said in other threads.

You joined in Oct 2007? Are you sure you've been around long enough to be that crusty with the new blood? I think you and I need to develop a bit more street cred before we can do such things, bro.
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #70 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You joined in Oct 2007? Are you sure you've been around long enough to be that crusty with the new blood? I think you and I need to develop a bit more street cred before we can do such things, bro.
beerchug.gif

I maybe somewhat new in Headfi but I've been active in forums for more than 5 years. And telling someone to use the "search" function doesn't require the experience of senior head-fiers, does it?

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #71 of 117
I've been around awhile, and I don't notice that much difference. I actually like newbies. They're genuinely interested and enthusiastic.

See ya
Steve

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #72 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, all I care about is recruiting more people into the Pretzel Familia. The day of reckoning will be soon at hand!

Pretzels will rule again!!!!!

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #73 of 117
Aug 17, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #74 of 117
I got here looking for a better sound and I got it!. We all were newbies and should remember that. The only thing I don't like here is the search function. You use more than 1 word and it will get you all posts with any of the words anywhere. A bit unspecific, and sometimes gives you too many hits to be useful. Couldn't we improve that?.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #75 of 117
I still have much to learn and hear with respect to this hobby.

As mentioned earlier, the problem is not the newbs. It is the aggressive shilling and rampant misinformation about gear spread by people who have heard exactly 1 headphone that are combining for a sour experience recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back