This Place Is Overrun With Newbies!
Aug 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117
The title says what I’ve seen some saying. And my answer is “That is, at the very least, partially the point.” Where did the most seasoned veterans of the headphone audio hobby start? With kilobuck rigs from the get-go? Uh, no. Let’s look back at most of our first posts, and witness our own humble beginnings.

I started in this hobby long before there was a Head-Fi, as a teenager in the mid-80’s with a wee bit of money saved up and what I believe was a Crutchfield catalog and a subscription to the now defunct Stereo Review. I ended up buying a Sony D-7 portable CD player (I think it was the second model Sony introduced in the States) and a Sony MDR-V6 (which I believe was just released at the time). (I wanted the AKG K240, but it was about $15.00 or $20.00 over my budget’s furthest stretch, which was a lot to a teenager back then.)

My interest in audio grew substantially, thanks to that portable rig. As a college student, I worked at one of the highest-end audio stores in the Metro Detroit area, where my music and audio tastes blossomed further. I fell out of the headphone scene for the speaker scene for a while, and made an embarrassing return to headphones some time later with an Aiwa noise-canceling headphone that both sounded abysmal and broke like it was made of rice paper (I know, because I went through three of them--don’t ask me why now, as I have no good answer). Long story short, I think it fair to say that, like many veteran members here, I’ve come a long way since then.

I was having a conversation with the editor of a high-end audio magazine a while ago, and he said he was amazed with Head-Fi because he viewed it as one of the few beacons of recruitment for the audiophile hobby. As he put it, “You’re breeding audiophiles at Head-Fi.” We are. And it’s those newbs who are largely to do with it. Audiophilism--whether one's sound is piped out of headphones or loudspeakers--is a fringe hobby, and will always be. But, like it or not once you’re already there, the fringe is formed from a subset of the mainstream--and the higher-end element is the fringe of the fringe. And the more people paying attention to what we’re doing, the bigger the fringe gets. This site is still growing. And there is indeed a larger percentage of newbies, as a result, than ever before. In the last month, Head-Fi had 335,877 unique visitors. Given that many gray-haired audiophiles have been involved in the hobby since childhood--and I’m one of them, though my hair isn’t yet gray--an audiophile, once bred, has a good chance at being one for life. And I’ll argue that, as it stands, few sites--if any--will bring more new blood into the audiophile hobby than Head-Fi. Will all who visit Head-Fi become high-end audio enthusiasts? Of course not. But you’ll get no new ones without new blood.

Long story short, welcome aboard, newbs. But do us all a favor, and use the search functions available on the site (and there are a couple of different types of search you can use now) before you ask about the best $50.00 headphones so that you can tap into what is already a vast store of knowledge on that any many other audio-related subjects that exist in the millions of posts here.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 117
Thank you jude
It seem I match perfectly to this, so I place my first post here.
Don't worry, I'm used to forums so you won't see make much trouble. I've already used the search function.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great place here. Just a bit LARGE compare to that forum where I come from.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I had my torch and pitchfork ready...

biggrin.gif

Anyway, getting back to the subject at hand. I think I've heard this same complaint again and again since I've been here. There's always someone that is unhappy about having new people around and moaning about all we've lost. Now, if someone has one of those yawnie smilies around, this topic is putting us old guys to sleep!
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 117
I'm not sure if Members Lounge is really the place where you'd find all those newbies...I feel like most of them would spend their time browsing the headphones and amps forums and not even know Lounge existed! At least, I know I didn't bother to venture into Lounge until at least 500+ posts...

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 117
Yeah, we get a "I miss the old days" thread every couple months. People who claim that the new wave is destroying the place, yet most of them have experience beefing with other senior members. So in reality, the "old days" weren't that great, unless you were dropping acid the entire time and you don't remember jack.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 117
I think the number 1 complaint since I've been here is that people don't use the search function. I do feel somewhat for newbies. It's hard sometimes finding things you know are there let alone if you have no clue. My best example is the somewhat common question of how to measure how loud you listen. There is a great thread where Skylab posted how he measures full sized cans and I posted a way to measure IEMs. When someone starts a new thread asking this question, I would post links to these 2 posts. The first few times I used search to find them and it was not easy. I eventually got smart and organized my subscriptions so I can find the thread easily. It's still a pain to find the particular posts in the thread. It would be pure luck for someone looking for this information to find these posts.

I'm not complaining about the search function, I love it. It's like anywhere on the web. There's a lot of information here and it's sometimes hard to wade though search results.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 117
Thank you for the welcome.
Newbs are the future of us all
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long story short, welcome aboard, newbs. But do us all a favor, and use the search functions available on the site (and there are a couple of different types of search you can use now) before you ask about the best $50.00 headphones so that you can tap into what is already a vast store of knowledge on that any many other audio-related subjects that exist in the millions of posts here.

on this point, maybe a new person would have to be registered for 1 or 2 weeks before below allowed to post. that way, they would be forced to browse and use the search function before asking a basic question which, in all likelihood, has been asked countless times before and probably within the last few days of their post. of course, this may also drive some people away, which would not be desirable.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 117
front page post materialssssss

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, we get a "I miss the old days" thread every couple months. People who claim that the new wave is destroying the place, yet most of them have experience beefing with other senior members. So in reality, the "old days" weren't that great, unless you were dropping acid the entire time and you don't remember jack.

Without the new blood this place would wither and die. The whole point of a forum is to get around and interact with new people. Same old, same old would be duller than drying paint. Oh yeah, and other than newbies, who else are you gonna convince to take one for the team and buy the latest version of the Wong Poo 2000 ultra amplifier and three way leg humper!
L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 117
Quote:

Oh yeah, and other than newbies, who else are you gonna convince to take one for the team and buy the latest version of the Wong Poo 2000 ultra amplifier and three way leg humper!

Hey, all I care about is recruiting more people into the Pretzel Familia. The day of reckoning will be soon at hand!

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 117
Great post, but I was kind of with Kirosia's train of thought when I first read the title.
biggrin.gif

I agree, we all started off as newbies with very limited audio knowledge, and although it is nice to have a wealth of information via members, everybody needs to realize that although most of us are serious about this hobby, a few others are just parrots that play a bad game of Telephone.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back