This Place Is Overrun With Newbies!
Jan 9, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #106 of 117
A database approach will be great. Ideally, a list of products which is ordered alphabetically (useful if we already know the names of what you are looking for) or ordered based on rating and price (useful if we don't know any names and just want to find one within a budget). From there, there should be access to reviews of each, if available. I would say its better to classify between in-depth reviews and short impressions. As a newbie, I first look for an in-depth review of any product first. Short reviews are helpful to know the general popularity of the product. The ratings given could be split into two like in CNET. One based on in-depth review and another based on user impressions.

As a newbie, the biggest hurdle I experience while using search function is reviews, impressions, discussions etc are all mixed together sometimes in a single thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking about this, and what if we could start a section with all products listed, where head-fi members could rate and/or review gear like at Amazon.com and other retail sites? A user could simply give it a rating of 1-10 stars, or also add a text review, large or small.

Or maybe each head-fi member could likewise be rated by other members for the authenticity and correctness of their reviews and helpfulness of their posts, so a reviewer with a higher score would have his reviews carry more weight or impact with those reading the review.

Or, FAQ page(s) and not just sticky threads might be helpful, but I'm not sure. Or, maybe threads themselves can be rated in degree of helpfulness, and then one can search for all the most helpful threads in a particular section or topic.

If reviews could be separated out from discussions more easily, that might help. I try to start most of my reviews with "Review: " or "Mini-Review: " to aid in searches, but don't know how helpful that is.

What do you guys (ya'all) think about stuff like this?

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #107 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking about this, and what if we could start a section with all products listed, where head-fi members could rate and/or review gear like at Amazon.com and other retail sites? A user could simply give it a rating of 1-10 stars, or also add a text review, large or small.

of all your ideas i like this one the best. I think it is the most practical. It would constitute a vast and relevant database.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #108 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't really pick on newbs.. One of my first threads here was, is burn in real.. I failed to see the burn in sticky..

You will now burn in hell!
wink.gif

I dunno, I was usually too afraid to post new threads. Still am, in fact! However, I am not afraid to post random unimportant information/commentary, as noted by my post-count.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #109 of 117
I know nothing, I am a newb. I think some of us(myself included) don't even know the proper terms or what to look for in search. I don't agree with "best headphones" or "best amps" threads, as there are about x/0 amount of gear that is the "best" to people. It is an easy way to get burned by following someone else's taste without doing a little research first.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #110 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know nothing, I am a newb. I think some of us(myself included) don't even know the proper terms or what to look for in search. I don't agree with "best headphones" or "best amps" threads, as there are about x/0 amount of gear that is the "best" to people. It is an easy way to get burned by following someone else's taste without doing a little research first.

There are stickies for that (the terminology).

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #111 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are stickies for that (the terminology).

I saw and read the thread which shows the common definition about sound properties. They are fine and dandy and help me in understanding posts describing sound of gear.

Problem is equipment itself, specifications of equipment. I learned some basics, and used some knowledge I knew of things non-audio.

For instance I wanted to use my current amp as a processor, so I wrongly looked for "Is it ok to daisy chain amps". Then I learned what a pre-amp is by mistake which explained it all to me. Things like this, like choosing an amp even learning about what specs to look for in comparison to the specs of my headphones. These kinds of explanations, maybe even a complete beginners guide to choosing their first set of headphones and amp explaining this.

Of course in the end, much of it is subjective and independent to actual specs but it would still be a nice introduction to the Hi-Fi world. It would make things more clear, certain electrical terms I think most of us can understand even if on a basic level.

Eventually it will all come to me with time with or without. But it is hard being so ignorant about something for the time being, not used to the feeling rofl.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #112 of 117
I first ended up here July 06, in search of a portable earphone amp and kept coming here regularly for the next 3+ years until I signed up.

3 years a regular reader and still my first thread was titled "IEM's for $300 tops? Details inside..." (which felt uncomfortable writing and... brought shame to my clan).

So, do I see myself as a noob?! Nope... I'm more of an intermediate, it's just that you're playing at Experienced, Hardcore and Nightmare levels.

LE: Lucky post #13
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #113 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by wugnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I first ended up here July 06, in search of a portable earphone amp and kept coming here regularly for the next 3+ years until I signed up.

3 years a regular reader and still my first thread was titled "IEM's for $300 tops? Details inside..." (which felt uncomfortable writing and... brought shame to my clan).

So, do I see myself as a noob?! Nope... I'm more of an intermediate, it's just that you're playing at Experienced, Hardcore and Nightmare levels.

LE: Lucky post #13
bigsmile_face.gif

This is the definition of serious lurker. 3+ years is to be admired by the best lurkers. You have no toh to the clan. May you find shade and water.

Until I got here, I never knew all the gear was available for headphones and the quality of headphone sound is astonishing. I'm proud of our DIY leaders and MOTs that provide considerable knowledge to the most novice. (caveat- Use the search)

The music and member forums are active, we have a decent meet schedule and a world wide base of opinion from ages 10 to 80. There are students and professionals, self made millionaires and beach bums, fathers and sons, and best of all friends. And some of the best humor and sarcasm you can find.
tongue.gif

With all that said, there are special members here that provide financial support, personal time, give away product, offer loaner programs, send equipment to your house for free in the spirit of a community willing to share the fun of this hobby with others.

That kind of community will bring in a lot of hobbyists. Even those who didn't know they had it in them.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #114 of 117
Woah that's a long time to lurk. I think it took me a day to sign up
tongue.gif

I also didn't know I'd be that interested into headphones and the associated gear, like Happy Camper said.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #115 of 117
I'm starting to understand why the old-timers give up, as I'm starting to feel a bit burned-out myself, and, not to mention, family demands more time these days.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #116 of 117
Wow, 3+ years is long. I managed 2,5 years and a few times around 2002, but I really started in 2003 then signed up in 2006 for some reason. I have been a long-time member of some other audio boards, but this is the one I most readily participate in. It is the most fun.

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #117 of 117
I don't see the point in spamming posts/threads when one has nothing worthy of contributing. Not to say that I've not done so myself though. I consider myself as quite a useless member as I don't contribute much, not because I can't be bothered, but because of my limited knowledge and experience (whatever passages of information I had, the book had already been written here on head-fi). It's just really frustrating filling through endless one sentence replies like "^what he said" or "I don't know, but I'm going to tell you something related to your question only by a single molecular bond" to get to the good stuff. I don't mind casual posts that lighten the mood or posts that compound on the question, but seriously? A "yeah I would like to know that too" post 10 minutes after the thread had been posted really doesn't really help anyone.

I've been around for almost 3 1/2 years, and have learnt a lot thanks to the great community of "pros" and educated members here at head-fi - without whom the forum would have sunk to the fiery depths of Bose hell.

To the new members: "The elders have brought forth knowledge of past and present, with which one will be able to attain audio nirvana. All one would have to do is patiently and tactfully seek, listen and (then) enquire."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back