This Place Is Overrun With Newbies!
Aug 18, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #76 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have much to learn and hear with respect to this hobby.

So do most of us, including me.
bigsmile_face.gif

There are lots of gear out there that I have so far not auditioned, and lot of music.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #77 of 117
Well everything about anything made 6 months ago or more has been talked about, compared and expounded on and beat to death, so you are no longer aloud to ask about it. Use the search function for that. From now on, youre only allowed to discuss new gear, and if you claim the search function couldnt totally answer all youre questions within 5 minutes, then youre lying, and we will call you a troll !!!
biggrin.gif

Sometimes when people tell me to use the search function, i feel like they said what i said above.
I especially want to smack them with a wet trout when they have 100 posts and started on Head-Fi a few months ago, and ive been an audiophile for about 30 years, been on Headwize before Head-Fi, and a few years after Headwize went off the deep end, I joined Head-Fi, and im here for like 4 years and over 1500 or so posts. Im also a member of other audio forums, have a subscription to Stereophile, check out www.audioreview,com and other sites all the time, and subscribed to other audio mags before, heard $100,000 systems, etc etc . ....and im STILL a newbee!!! :p

Newbees dont always think about the search function as much, and theyre not used to being "bothered by the questions. If you dont like the questions, then stay out of that thread. Nobody has twisted your keyboard finger and made you go there.
Its really a shame when i see people i know from this forum in other forums and found they no longer come here anymore.
They gained all that knowlege here, and brought it somewhere else instead of helping the new blood on the forum where they learned it all.
Sometimes i get upset by things here also, but then i come to my senses and remember how much fun i have here, and all the good people that are here also. *Plays some corny mushy Disney-type song*.

I try to talk to newbees when i can, even if they ask about *bites the side of my cheeks* Bose, Ipod Earbuds, Monster, Bang and Olufson, SkullCandy, etc.
biggrin.gif

Group Hug Everyone!!! *Hides under my bed*

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #78 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I had my torch and pitchfork ready...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #79 of 117
I like the 101 idea. If your going to talk about ss vs tube, at least learn what each of them are about. That can be done by building a good sticky program. From the simple, this is a dac, what's an amp do, where does the ipod fit in the scheme of this site, etc. to technical details of design and theory.

And I demand that dave start the 80s best of poll.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #80 of 117
Thank you Jude: I am no expert by any means and have been around head-fi for only about 1 yr. The first few visits to this site however were almost my last ones due to some not very nice comments about newbies. Your post is great advice not just for this site, but for everything else in life: be patient with the less knowledgeable and enjoy teaching him/her.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #82 of 117
Good post Jude. It is important for us veterans to remember where we came from, and to realize that patience is a good thing when interacting with headfiers who are just on the scene. I started with bose triports and my little 20 dollar sony portable, yummy.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #83 of 117
Newbies carry disease. We've only so many resources; the population density must be maintained. I've spoken behind closed doors with Admin and we've come to the conclusion that systematic culling by way of explosive private messages will be necessary. Godspeed new members.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #84 of 117
Jan 8, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #85 of 117
[RANT MODE ON]

BUMP - WHY IS THREAD NOT STICKY? I wish we could find a way to make head-fi more useful for the newbies, and to feel like all the reviews and posts we make actually make a difference instead of getting buried and forgotten or lost.

The more time I spend on these forums, the more I see the same questions over and over, or the right questions in the wrong thread, etc. Sometimes I know they've been answered before, often quite recently, and I'd just like some signs that they tried looking up the answers first from multiple sources. I like it when people have done a search and mention what it turned up when they ask for more information.

And of course when the thread really does get too long to read (like the W3, IE8, HD800 and Stax threads) then the whole cycle of questions starts all over, like a phoenix rising from the ashes. I put many comments into comparisons with other IEM in the IE8 and W3 threads, only to watch them fall farther to the bottom of the current discussions; and then someone pops in recently to ask if they are better than the UM3X or whatever else is hot at the time. It starts to make a veteran feel like all the work and effort was for naught.

One reason I put links to all my reviews in my public profile "about me" and tell everyone about it in my signature was in the hopes that someone would read those first, and see the criss-crossing of comparisons done in the reviews, where they could do the math themselves and combine 3 reviews into one ranking, even when no more than any two were compared in one review at one time. Code:

Code:
[left]i.e. A > B, C < D, D < B = A > B > D > C[/left]

And, I still think the need to rank everything is flawed as well. We've spoiled many newbies into only wanting to pay attention to the "quantitative" data of what is better than others, and not actually getting them to enjoy reading the "qualitative" comments that explain when and why something sounds as good, worse, or better than something else. I'm going to start thinking in terms of "top tier", "second tier" and so on. Top tier might be gear that seems to convey a fuller sense of the musical performance without drawing attention to colorations or flaws, unless examining the sound under a microscope. Second tier might be something that has slightly recessed mids, or a little bit of a bass hump, or slightly less detail or transparency, or slightly less extended treble or bass, but not more than 2-3 flaws at the same time. For example, the best 6-7 USB DAC/amps I have reviewed are all actually "top tier" and don't need to be ranked with one winner, because the sound simply changes too much depending on which headphones or earphones or source are used for the review - it almost renders ranking useless.

Are we really all destined to come here as newbies, learn all kinds of stuff, and then turn into crotchety old veterans?

[/RANT MODE OFF]

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #86 of 117
Great thread, just read it. Noob with a slight bigger clue than some. Just lucky to go to all the meets in the last few years to listen to all the gear I have been privileged to. Use the Search button AND go to a mini meet would be my 2 cents to add what Jude said. Mini meets are were expectations are broken or exceeded and where you meet some great people who are waiting to share their knowledge. That is where the real Head-fi is at. In the Meets IMO.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #87 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do most of us, including me.
bigsmile_face.gif

There are lots of gear out there that I have so far not auditioned, and lot of music.

Just saying...

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #89 of 117
Maybe if Head-fi become an online magazine with forums, it might work to concentrate some of the useful information, as the information would be in the articles. Forums are honestly crap for organising information, and wikis require dedication.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #90 of 117
There are totally different level of newbies.
Some come here with a lot of pre-knowledge, search and read, and then post specific questions. While other come here with no or little pre-knowledge, do not take the time searching or reading, but post an open question already talked about 14874 times before (last time 20 minutes ago). Plus those somewhere between..

Hence some get specific answers while others are pointed towards the search button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back