This Place Is Overrun With Newbies!
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #46 of 117
Well, newb here
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess if you really want to emphasize searching, then make a Search Tutorial or something, and point to that page after registering or something.

I do site: (url) "search terms" -"words I don't want" when i'm trying to look for something.

Thanks for the post (not sure for what, but thanks).

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #47 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, here's why that's the way it is:

In the description for enabling[size=large] boolean[/size] in the software, here's what the documentation says:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boolean option description

....This permission allows Boolean searches....This option can be server intensive for very large forums so its usage is cautioned....

[size=medium]Thanks in large part to Jan Meier's fundraising, I think we should have plenty of horsepower to enable it for everyone, and so I will (and will remove that from the Contributing Membership benefits description). Let's see how it goes.[/size]

If it doesn't cause any problems, I'll leave it that way. If we leave it that way, and you signed up for Contributing Membership specifically for that and feel slighted as a result, PM me a request to do so, and I'll refund you your Contributing Membership payment if it was made after December 2007, which is when boolean became one of the stated benefits of Contributing Membership.

That's a very good thing. We can't expect the neophytes to post less crap while the search function is crippled.

You should sticky that in each forum with a little boolean lesson.

Personally, I think the little weenies should only speak when spoken to.

Kidding! Welcome new members.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #48 of 117
Happy to remain a nearly noob. It was the audiophile in me that brought me here first and foremost. I am pretty sure my post count will never hit the heady heights achieved by some here but that will not affect my aural enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #49 of 117
I read a great line somewhere - can't remember from whom, but it went something like:

Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from lack of wisdom.

The internet is full of annoying people, but many of them will turn out alright if you give them a bit of time. I've learned a lot from lurking and posting here, and acquired some wisdom along the way. Thanks to everyone for making this place what it is.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #50 of 117
The problem with stickies is the few read them. How many threads are there on Why Can't I Post in the FS Forums?

I like catscratch's suggestion of stickying common threads and mods closing new ones with a link the the sticky.

Nothing like suggesting more work for mods
wink_face.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #51 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said Jude!
I have nothing at all against new members (regardless if they are headphone newbies or not).

But I have to admit I find it annoying to see the 1498th. "What is the BEST $50 iPod phone", "BEST MP3 player", BEST whatever" thread showing up. When its already been discussed to death 1497 times before, and can be easily found by a quick search.

To all future Head-Fi'ers; Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Amen.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #53 of 117
I agree with catscratch's suggestion & comments. I see this issue in every forum. I do my best when signing up to a new forum to read stickys & use the search.

I can say that it isn't the easiest sometimes to find info here but when I have time, I read through the results. I try to come here daily, read new posts and old ones to grow my knowledge.

But the key here is mods to close threads after directing new users to another thread or sticky with the answer. If it is a lack of resources and head-fi needs a mod to help, I'll be glad to help.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #55 of 117
Well, I'm myself a noob, I use the search tool and everything. I might have posted some existing subject once after trying to find it with the search tool without success.

The key is that everyone helps. If you see a thread on a subject that have been treated before, don't just pass over thinking that it have been treated. Get in the thread and post a link to the older thread containing all the information needed. That way we won't have 3,4,5, or 6 times the same information and it will be easier for everyone finding what they search.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #56 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm myself a noob, I use the search tool and everything. I might have posted some existing subject once after trying to find it with the search tool without success.

The key is that everyone helps. If you see a thread on a subject that have been treated before, don't just pass over thinking that it have been treated. Get in the thread and post a link to the older thread containing all the information needed. That way we won't have 3,4,5, or 6 times the same information and it will be easier for everyone finding what they search.

Meh, but that takes time. That would call for me to find the thread, go back to the thread I need to link it in, then I'd have to type something useful.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #57 of 117
I start to take an interest in headphone gear way before I knew of Head-fi, and when I stumbled upon this forum 4 yrs ago I were just getting serious. There are quite some change in HF since I joined, but I do wish the forum continue to help out newb as how it has helped me in my own quest. Oh, to newb: do use the search and read as many threads as you could... and don't expect an absolute unified answer from us when you asked us which gear to get, or hate us because something doesn't work out as we recommended.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #58 of 117
I'm pretty newbie as a member at Head-fi, but I've been visiting the site, reading reviews and looking for info for years, so I've noticed the changes as much as senior members.

I think that the "problem" -if any- is not as much the newbies repeating the same questions over and over again, but other factors that lead to boredom, even annoyance to the people having the knowledge and the means to be helpful for keeping the site alive, useful and interesting for everyone. I've seen this happening to other sites like Audio Asylum -I've been there for over six years now- and many local audio forums.

Most people are here to learn, sharing knowledge and helping others. With some luck you even can find interesting people who eventually become your friends, being the common ground the love for music and listening to it with headphones. Once the site becomes very popular and "not that interested" people shows up, the substance of the questions and their seriousness goes down while the number of them keeps growing daily. You start to spend in the site reading and replying a lot of time, and you see that informed people's replies have the same value than uninformed ones. The feeling of "who cares" starts to grow inside you, and it comes the time that you think "I have better things to do to spend my time".

IMHO these are some of the things that spoil the fun and remove the interest from the senior members, leaving the whole thing at the level of a consumer reviews site:

- Newbies replying to other newbies about things they don't know and they've never listened to.
- People showing no interest for the informative and "spot on" replies they receive, paying more attention to the moronic ones.
- People adding worthless comments to threads, demonstrating that they not even read the previous posts. Sometimes not even the OP's message.
- Messages recommending stuff that doesn't meet the OP's demands. Like "I want a pair of closed cans" and being replied "get Grados" or "I want a portable amp" and reading "Get a Zana Deux".
- People spamming the forum with nonsense and absurd comments just to get high post counts to reach the "supremus" status.
- Selfish people posting about questions that aren't relevant to the thread, not even the whole site, just to get others' attention.
- Post by people who is continously pushing up the same brands, no matter what's the thread about.

There are many more but I don't want to make it too long.

Since rigid moderation is not possible nor popular, the only way to deal with it is the own "serious" members trying to keep it clean. Maybe repeating the same reply several hundred times is needed, but if the idea is keeping the site useful and alive with worth members interested in sharing their knowledge and experience, it's not a high price to pay. Sometimes just ignoring someone works wonders.

Rgrds

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #59 of 117
Interesting list, from my point of view...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- People showing no interest for the informative and "spot on" replies they receive, paying more attention to the moronic ones.

If you expect you're going to speak and everyone is going to listen you're not going to last long, the frustration will eat you up. You offer your opinion and people either listen to it or not. Either way, it's all the same to me (Other than I always loved PM's from folks who loved their equipment which I suggested. That always put a smile on my face. Of course, some hated it also and that took it back off).

Quote:

- People adding worthless comments to threads, demonstrating that they not even read the previous posts. Sometimes not even the OP's message.

This is the Internet, that does seem to be the same everywhere not matter what forum. People have brain farts, people are busy, want to help and don't take the time to read closely because they are rushing elsewhere. I've been guilty of it myself. Again, I don't think that would disturb most folks and those it does won't last long enough to be a long time member anyway...

Quote:

- Messages recommending stuff that doesn't meet the OP's demands. Like "I want a pair of closed cans" and being replied "get Grados" or "I want a portable amp" and reading "Get a Zana Deux".

Read above comments. Again, if the OP is dumb enough to buy without checking that the equipment meets their needs, well, they need the education on how the Internet recommendation system works!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

- People spamming the forum with nonsense and absurd comments just to get high post counts to reach the "supremus" status.

Hey, I enjoy making those posts!
tongue.gif

Quote:

- Selfish people posting about questions that aren't relevant to the thread, not even the whole site, just to get others' attention.

It's a discussion with other people. Yeah, they can tend to wander depending on what's on their mind but hey, they do that in real life also...
L3000.gif

Quote:

- Post by people who is continously [sic] pushing up the same brands, no matter what's the thread about.

People who have only tried one brand and enjoyed it will recommend it. The majority of people will have enough common sense not to be trying everything under the sun. Those that don't have that common sense, well, are the best people to get recommendations from.
beerchug.gif
Is it annoying, well somewhat but it's also human nature and if it bothers you, then you won't be a long time member either.

Quite honestly, I think you missed the mark on this one. I think most of the folks who have left have done it because they've said all they had to say and it's time to move on to something else! Now, let's see if I can dig up some Kirosia threads so I can add to my fluff posts...
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #60 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back