This Place Is Overrun With Newbies!
Aug 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #31 of 117
I posted this in another thread, but I like to repeat it here:

Before I became a member, I did a lot of searching, using the search function. Which was a very frustrating experience.
Because so many threads will show up, that you need a day to go through them all.
It's when I discoverd searching in google with .... site:head-fi.org, that searching became a useful tool.
I can imagine that newcomers are asking questions in the forum, instead of going through all those threads.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #32 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the search function is annoying. no boolian except for google, and in google you can't be specific about one forum. And that post is a perfect example. i have been looking for one like that for some time, but couldn't find it. once i was 30 pages deep into searches, and no results. i just gave up.

A noob way to find something on head-fi.org: google search: "post blabla thread blabla site:www.head-fi.org".
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #33 of 117
Ah nee, weer zon andere nuchtere Noorderling is me voor
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted this in another thread, but I like to repeat it here:

Before I became a member, I did a lot of searching, using the search function. Which was a very frustrating experience.
Because so many threads will show up, that you need a day to go through them all.
It's when I discoverd searching in google with .... site:head-fi.org, that searching became a useful tool.
I can imagine that newcomers are asking questions in the forum, instead of going through all those threads.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #34 of 117
G-man what is your definition of newb?
Number of posts or time spent in forum?
You are making noises about newbs but have been here less time with more posts than others!
Personally I don't think that I will ever be anything other than a newb as there are so many people here who with long membership and experience just blow me away with their wealth of knowledge!
Others seem intent on high post counts at the expense of having anything of interest to say!

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #36 of 117
I spent my first month on Head-Fi as an unregistered observer. I was interested in amps and sources for my K701, and I did searches galore to accomplish that. For certain I am not the only person to go about things this way. It wasn't until after I registered that I lit a fire under this place.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #37 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G-man what is your definition of newb?
Number of posts or time spent in forum?
You are making noises about newbs but have been here less time with more posts than others!
Personally I don't think that I will ever be anything other than a newb as there are so many people here who with long membership and experience just blow me away with their wealth of knowledge!
Others seem intent on high post counts at the expense of having anything of interest to say!

I am sorry, do have some personal vendetta against me? the only time i mentioned newbs, it was preceded by the fact that i am in no postion to say so, and then followed by "
tongue.gif
" clearly indicating that it was a joke. so maybe, just maybe, you feel the need to bash others. You are the only one who has actually complained about my post count. what your problem? do you feel that my posts bother you? in that case, just put me on you ignore list, and be done with it. just quit bothering me.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #38 of 117
I cherish being a n00b. What ever will my poor wife think of me when I explain to her that I am somthing called a "headphoneus supremeus"?

Hey, members can get a different title in lieu of their exclusive boolean search rights.

BTW if we can enable forum-wide Boolean searches, that would be wonderful. It really helps, and who needs that help more than the people with all the questions?

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #39 of 117
Should mention I lurked-unregistered-off and on for at least a year before I took the plunge. I read many past threads to get an idea of what was going on.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #40 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if Members Lounge is really the place where you'd find all those newbies...I feel like most of them would spend their time browsing the headphones and amps forums and not even know Lounge existed! At least, I know I didn't bother to venture into Lounge until at least 500+ posts...

that's exactly how I was. I was too busy asking questions in the headphone and amp section, and then one day I was like, holy crap, there's a member's lounge?

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #41 of 117
Newbie here
smily_headphones1.gif
currently aiming for the 'fringe'

Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this seems like the best place to ask:

Can we please, please, please, please, please have an option for >15 posts per page?

You're spot on, but, I was thinking >20 posts...!

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #42 of 117
While I think that there needs to be a balance between new blood and seasoned members, there is a noticeable drop in real usable information as of late IMO.

There is a big difference in Techies and Audiophiles, and I see a huge influx of Techies. While I have no problem with Techies, and they need a place to go too, it changes the landscape here for better or worse.

I sometimes find myself wanting for the members that used to really live and breath audio. I also understand that change is inevitable and not always a bad thing.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #43 of 117
The problem isn't that this place is full of noobs. Noobs are great, and you're 100,000,000% correct that we were all noobs at some point, and that noobs are exactly what gives a community vitality and fresh new potential.

The main reason why I'm still here and haven't moved on is because, once upon a time, I was a noob that received a lot of help and yes, a smackdown or two when I was being obtuse. So, now that I have enough experience to start helping, I feel obligated to return the favor. I love helping people, and I do it for myself, not for any kind of gratitude-whoring or attention-getting.

My problem is the idiots. The spammers, the shills, the excessive fanboys, the attention whores, the people who are just so damn thick that the only way you get a point into their skulls is with a heavy, pointed object.

HF needs to grow a pair and get rid of these people. I'm not going to name names, but most of us know them anyway. They're ruining the community, and for the sakes of avoiding accusations of totalitarian moderation (which will always fall on heavily, even if appropriately, moderated communities) nothing is being done about it.

Why do you think the older members are so ticked off? Why do you think the newer members have become so defensive about older members pointing out that they don't know what they're talking about? These specific idiots spout off their nonsense, which new members repeat because they don't have the experience to see who's a shilling, nonsense-spewing blowhard and who actually knows their stuff. Then, they get pointed out to that they're wrong again and again, and hey presto, they get defensive about it (rightly) and start to hate any older, more experienced member automatically. Which in turn drives older members away.

Diffuse the trouble-makers. Get rid of them. Then, this community can start to revitalize itself. Rebuild trust between older members who don't have to /facepalm anymore than they have to, and newer members who won't have to consistently hear that they're wrong.

Get rid of the idiots, get rid of the massive egos, get rid of the inane, mindless threads that lower the intellectual standard in the forums, and this place will get back on track.

P.S. Sorry for the aggressive tone. I just feel strongly about this, that's all. I still do care about this place.

P.P.S. we need a "newbie silencer," i.e. a continuously updated guide/FAQ that's stickied in every forum and relevant to the question at hand. So, when someone starts to ask "what's the best $100 headphone for iPod" we can automatically point them to that thread, and then close their thread. When this is done enough, many fresh posters will see that yes, we DO want them to use the search engine, and yes, there IS already a wealth of information out there. And, we do this without having to make anyone mad. When the precedent is set, 75% of the useless posts will be avoided.

All it takes is some commitment, and a FAQ that's constantly being updated. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate or contain every last bit of info, its purpose is to point people in the right direction, after which they can start research themselves.

This way, when it's time to ask, they ask much more pointed, specific questions that relate to their situation.

And we'll hear no more of "what's the best closed headphone for gaming" repeated 10,000 times daily.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #44 of 117
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #45 of 117
Well said Jude!
I have nothing at all against new members (regardless if they are headphone newbies or not).

But I have to admit I find it annoying to see the 1498th. "What is the BEST $50 iPod phone", "BEST MP3 player", BEST whatever" thread showing up. When its already been discussed to death 1497 times before, and can be easily found by a quick search.

To all future Head-Fi'ers; Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back