Thinksound Rain2 to pour in ears soon: Impressions and Discussions Thread
Dec 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #76 of 350
I was gonna say the half off for these must have been a quick promo. Because there is no way anyone is going to get something that sounds like these for that price for long. So it seems the early birds got the deal. Keep tabs on this thread however as there are many more impressions to come. Believe me the asking price for these at full price. No one will argue that they got a raw deal for this sound. If you know your audio and have more than a few you will completely understand.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #77 of 350
The Piston can't be in the same conversation as the Rain2 in my opinion. Right, the Piston was a very good sound for the dollar. The Rain2 is an exceptional sounding earphone, period. It shoots above its regular price in sound quality. Do I put it next to the FX850? No, but it's not too far away for a woodie earphone. As Dsnuts stated, however, it is probably a better value considering the high price of the FX850. It blows away or competes handily with other $100 and below earphones. It beats the H-200 Altone in my opinion (which is a three driver hybrid and cost a bit more). Some of you want a $100 or below earphone to beat $300 + earphones. Unfortunately I can't think of any that have done this, but I have heard those that have come close enough. The Rain2 comes close enough to those earphones if you're on a budget.

Schiit, coming from you, danny, and Ds, I have no doubt these are highly technically proficient earphones that punch way above its price point. Thanks for letting us know. I get mine on Monday. Impressions and review forthcoming.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #78 of 350
Maybe the FX850 is the M3 and the Rain2 is a 325.  Some might prefer the 325 because the M3 has too much zip.  Rain2 has a very capable sound without adding too much of anything to make up for being higher end.  

Thanks for the reply! This gets me very excited for Monday. ~~cheers~~

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #79 of 350
Dec 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #80 of 350
Dis hype be insane, meng. You guys are just making me all the more eager to wait for my pair...
tongue.gif

Probably gonna unsub before I go (Ds)nuts over how the Rain2 will beat every IEM I have in my collection or something. 
wink.gif
 I'll come back, of course, but just gonna back off for now...

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #81 of 350
Dis hype be insane, meng. You guys are just making me all the more eager to wait for my pair...:p
Probably gonna unsub before I go (Ds)nuts over how the Rain2 will beat every IEM I have in my collection or something. :wink:  I'll come back, of course, but just gonna back off for now...

Or just order the newest Pistons? The New International Holiday Same But Different Edition with gold tips??? :wink:

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #82 of 350
Sound has not changed much from yesterday but I tried a bit of tip rolling for the Rain2 and tips have a great effect on the sound of the Rain2. It seems to me the best sound of the Rain2 comes from the stock tips. I always throw on my JVC Spiral dots first on any new earphone just because they happen to be the best tips I own and has a positive effect on most if not all earphones I have tried them with. No exception here however it seems the longer nozzle of the Spiral dots and even the UE tips over the stock tips actually has a bit of a negative effect on stage and how vocals are presented.

The UE tips actually are a bit better than the Spiral tips but just now I went back to the relatively stocky short stock tips to figure out what I initially thought about the effects of other tips on the Rain2. The reason why the Rain 2 has a larger sound presentation than your standard earphones is due to their larger diameter nozzle. I would say it is a good 4 mm in diameter while most earphones are smaller in the nozzle department I would say anywhere from 2-3mm. The sound that emanates from nozzle seem to take full advantage of this larger diameter giving the Rain2 a fuller, larger deeper and a more open presentation of sound.

The stock tips do not cover any of the nozzle opening and sits relatively short on the nozzle. So the earphone nozzle is actually getting a straight shot closer to your ears drums without much tip to block its full bodied sound.  Tips that constrict the nozzle size like Sony hybrids or any that makes the nozzle longer than the stock tips seem to restrict and effectively cut off some depth of sound and actually has a negative effect over what makes these earphones sound so good.  Long story short. After trying out my box of tips. This is one earphone that is clearly designed to perform with the stock tips. The sound with the stock tip is more open and natural sounding after going back to them over and over again. I think other tips will work on these however if you end up going back to the stock tips it will let you hear what other tips are constricting on the sounds.

I have many tips that are of better quality over these standard looking silicone stock tips however I will definitely leave good enough alone on this one. YMMV as your ears will be shaped different than mine but do not be in a hurry to box up the stock tips that come with these. I am starting to believe that these tips were not an after thought but more a part of the sound design.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #85 of 350
  Where might we read about that?  In this thread?

Read about what, Deviltooth? The On1 being on discount?  I was emailing the owner. He stated he'll let me know before hand if he is going to put the On1 on discount. If he does, I'll put it here in this thread for you. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #88 of 350
DARN!
guess I missed the discount.
And I was soooo excited.
Boohooooooooooo *cryin' crocodile tears*

Yeah, the discount expired of rme too.  someone, hint hint, should contact Aaron at Thinksound who knows him and see if he
won't reactivate that discount for us Discovery explorers who want to explore the Rain2 before 2015....otherwise short lived discounts
are just a tease.....thanks for everyones excited impressions of these...

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #89 of 350
Yeah, the discount expired of rme too.  someone, hint hint, should contact Aaron at Thinksound who knows him and see if he
won't reactivate that discount for us Discovery explorers who want to explore the Rain2 before 2015....otherwise short lived discounts
are just a tease.....thanks for everyones excited impressions of these...

Count me in x2.

This is another earphone I plan to review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back