Thinksound Rain2 to pour in ears soon: Impressions and Discussions Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #346 of 350
Have to post about both the Thinksound headphones I have, the Rain 2, which I carry in my pocket, pull out often, and really like. And, the On1 I just pulled out after not getting to them for a while, and paired them with my Pono, which is my current go to dap. Well, the Pono and the On1 are a match made in Heaven! Talking serious synergy here! Have to try the Rain2 with the Pono, guessing it will do just as well!

I've heard so many good things about the ON1... looking forward to trying them if the chances permit it.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #347 of 350
So, did a quick listen to the Rain2 with the Pono, hi rez Hotel California, have to say, sounds great together. Pono does resolution/detail/soundstage, On2 warms things up a bit, great combo as well imo.

May 9, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #348 of 350
Impressions with the Thinksound Rain 2

Thanks @d marc0 for including me in the Australian Thinksound Rain 2 Tour

Source: Itunes downloaded music - Equaliser Player app by Audio Forge (EQ set to neutral) - Ipad 3rd Gen Wifi+cell - Line out cable - Just Audio AHA 120 Portable Class A headamp set to 32 ohm- Think Sound Rain 2

The Thinksounds are a well built set of earphones. Wooden housings capped by a metal ring (aluminum?), sturdy tangle free cable, angled connector, but no inline mic or remote controls. It also comes with various sized silicone tips and a cable clip. They all come in a small white packaging, packed in compressed cardboard and a hessian bag carry pouch. Simple functional and ecologically sustainable.

SOUND:

Well I must say these are picky with amp pairings. I also have a C&C BH but that just made these sibilant in my opinion and the best pairing was to be found with with Just Audio's. It just seems to amplify whats good about these headphones namely the warm sound signature, the smoothness and the soundstage.

Songs listened to: Emeli Sande Maybe (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) Micheal Buble Me and Mrs Jones (Live from Madison Square Garden) and just for kicks How Low by Ludacris (MAAAAD BASSY Track)

Ludacris HOW LOOOOOwwwww: Well I must say thinksounds performed well in this track. The bass presentation is certainly what Im looking for here and it does go quite low. It has good bass impact and good decay. Texture is also quite nice. Vocals seem to be smooth and present, not drowned out by the bass, although i think its abit recessed but not by much. The highs are non fatiguing but it could use more sparkle and airyness. Its just not resolving in my opinion. (not that there is anything to resolve. This is a club dance track after all) PRAT seems to be just abit off so these I would think are more suited to accoustic music hence the next two songs.

Emeli Sande Maybe:  Now were more into what these Thinksounds are about! This is totally the perfect genre for the Thinksounds. Simple accoustic music, female vocals, a long listening session. Totally goes with the relaxed and smooth sound sig. Since this track is recorded live, there seems to be a huuge sound stage and its just seems that Im on stage with Emeli and the claps the shouts and other sounds from the crowd are portrayed clearly. Instrument separations is also excellent with each having room to breathe. Emeli does not sound sibilant here at all. Again the guitar and and other instruments could use more resolution/detail but I can forgive this shortcoming as Im totally enjoying what Im hearing.

Michael Buble Me and Mrs Jones: Now for some male vocals. This track has a lot of wind instruments and percussion and I must say it underwhelmed me a bit. This track starts out slow and slowly builds into a crescendo towards the end when everything is playing at once and then slowly fades . Perhaps the thinksounds are too smooth. Michaels Vocals are fine, soundstage is fine but when everything is playing at once, to me it just seemed unexciting. I had no emotional connection. With the Emeli track, I felt like I was standing there on stage with her. With Michael it seemed I am front row and the crowd is behind me (perhaps the differing way the tracks are recorded?)

COMPARISON with my current favourite in ears Phonak PFE 122 Grey Neutral filter

Michael Buble Me and Mrs Jones: Now the first thing I noticed is that the Phonaks have a brighter signature, more detailed, less bassy but its still there and just right for me. Its just totally at a different level. I can hear more of the crowd, the texture of the individual instruments. Michael's vocals seem to get back the energy and forwardness that the song deserves. In a short word my emotional connection is back. The Phonaks just seem to be more dynamically alive with this track and its a pleasure to listen to.

Emeli Sande Maybe:  This is such an emotional song and it connects with me if the presentation is correct. On my favourite headphones (He400, HD 650, Fidelio L2) and earphones (Phonaks), when she starts singing, I get goosebumps. I did not get the goosebumps with the Thinksounds but with the Phonaks its just amazing. The details of her voice, the nuances, the vocalizations and pain that should radiate from her voice is just portrayed so well (and thats why I get the goosebumps) with the Phonaks. Every instrument is heard clearly and resolutely. Simply amazing for me. Now let me sit back and put the track on repeat a few times and recline my chair......................

AFTER 10 mins...

Ludacris HOW LOOOOOwwwww: I must say the bass goes deeper on the Phonaks but not a lot impact but its well textured. I wish it has more bass (but thats what the black and green filter are for, Included in the Phonaks packaging for a V shaped sound and finally a U Shaped sound, a definite plus for the Phonak user, its customisable). While PRAT was missing from the Thinksounds, its back with the Phonaks. It certainly got my head bopping. The track just seemed more alive dynamically. There are parts of the song that has a heartbeat sound it occurs about 3 times, that goes on for about 3 seconds. On the Thinksounds, I dont think I ever heard ít. It just shows the Phonaks are more resolving in the bass texture if not in quantity.

Final thoughts:

I think the Thinksounds specialize in a specific genre or type of music. Simple. Earthy. Accoustic vocals. Perhaps in its next iteration, they can make it more resolving and more exciting so it would pair with most types of music.

May 1, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #350 of 350
HI, i am planning on buying earbuds and i cant choose between the Thinksound Rain 2, Jabra Sport Pace Wireless and the Jaybird Bluebuds X. In your opinion which ones are better. I am looking for sound quality, im not about the features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back