ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Jul 31, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #856 of 1,215
Tried both the Monarch Mk3 and Prestige LTD, bought the Mk3 as the slightly larger shells fit better for me, in terms of sonic differences both had similar timbre and technicalities, just that Mk3 sounded warmer in its mids due to elevated midbass, although Mk3 graphs like a U shaped but its vocals never sounded recess it's still crisp and breathy. Source: Hiby R6 Pro ii on AB mode.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #858 of 1,215
Just tried the Mk3 and compared it with my Mk2. The Mk3 sounded warmer to my ears and there are minor improvements in the bass texture from the Mk2. I was hoping that they kept the same tuning as Mk2, but with the added midbass, to me personally, it loses the special sauce that made Mk2 really good, which is the clean and detailed midrange presentation, giving a very forward vocal reproduction. Don't get me wrong, the Mk3 is still a very technically capable set, just that I feel that it's not for me.

I think Linsoul did know this and priced the Mk3 at the same price point, because it's definitely a sidegrade, or just a different flavour. If you find the Mk2 bass too lean, then Mk3 is definitely an improvement. However, for me personally, I want a snappier bass with better texturing to match the excellent tuning on the BAs in mids. I will be keeping my Mk2 for a foreseeable future.

Thank you! I think I will stick with MK2 as well. Especially after discovering their synergy with these brass eartips, I really love them now.

Bloom Audio has Monarch MK3 with the Disco, Butterfly, Sunset Horizon(and default) faceplates ready to ship out immediately for anyone who wants one but doesn't want to wait the stated 3-4 weeks.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #859 of 1,215
Bloom Audio has Monarch MK3 with the Disco, Butterfly, Sunset Horizon(and default) faceplates ready to ship out immediately for anyone who wants one but doesn't want to wait the stated 3-4 weeks.
Bloom Audio ships super fast. They even have free overnight shipping (with a code).

Good to see them have these in stock, ready to ship. I remember on launch day, they only had preorders available.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #860 of 1,215
Thank you! I think I will stick with MK2 as well. Especially after discovering their synergy with these brass eartips, I really love them now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #863 of 1,215
The Monarch Mk2 is better than both Mests. Ive tested Mest OG and it was a disaster when it comes to the tuning. Ive had the Mest 2 and sold it after 2 weeks. The tuning of it was off, with its muffled and into my face vocals, too bright 6-8k area and a messed up imaging. When A/B the Monarch 2 vs Mest 2 i really regreted buying the Mests even for 980e new. Sold them for the u12t which are superior in every department.
You are 1 in 1000 (so you are not wrong lol).
The mest mk2 smokes the Monarch mk2 in almost every way. Many many reviewers agree with that take. It has that wow factor and the Monarch mk2 not as much (unless you are coming from budget iems lol).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #864 of 1,215
The mest mk2 smokes the Monarch mk2 in almost every way. Many many reviewers agree with that take. It has that wow factor and the Monarch mk2 not as much (unless you are coming from budget iems lol).
I wouldn't say either smokes each other. you have to factor in what kind of music library you have and what role you want the set to play. I found the Monarch Mk2 to be a better all-arounder and superior with vocals while the Mest Mk2 has better bass and more excitement. the mest's shell is much more manageable but the imaging did feel a bit off at times. secondhand prices for both are very attractive

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #865 of 1,215
Some impressions of the new woofers from Hype2 (cross post from discovery) which is also in Monarch III.

Don't be tricked by the graph of Hype2. in real life, the bass is even stronger than the graph suggests. IMHO, it is a very successful bass in terms of the crisp leading edge, dynamic, and cleanliness. The midrange remain pristine, but the bass impact is a lot. It's not the kind of muddy, invasive bass we are talking about. It's just the sheer impact. For example, when I listen to some Epic Rap Battle of History, I was kind of repulsed by the sheer volume of sub bass that constantly pressure against my ear drums. When I listen to an orchestral piece with the "bass oboe" (sorry folks, I don't remember the real name), this low pitched instrument is very present in the fore ground, even thought the violin soars in the background, crystal clean.

This is a good/bad indicator of the bass from Monarch III. I must say that I went from being uninterested about Monarch III to having discussion about buying a unit to review.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #866 of 1,215
Crinacle rates Monarch MK2 as No.1 and Mest MK2 at a distant 22nd place.
So it is subjective, you may like them better that's it, no drama, we all have different taste and reference points.
And as this is Monarch thread, may be it's better to keep it focused on Monarch. :v:

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #867 of 1,215
You mentioned that I'm not wrong and you're right.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #868 of 1,215
And I am the 2 in 1000 😆
Well the sound stage of UMM2 is wider but tonality, timber, resolution are poorer vs MMk2.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #869 of 1,215
Crinacle rates Monarch MK2 as No.1 and Mest MK2 at a distant 22nd place.
So it is subjective, you may like them better that's it, no drama, we all have different taste and reference points.
And as this is Monarch thread, may be it's better to keep it focused on Monarch. :v:
Wait, wait, he is having in mind reviewers that changed U12t for U4t and for sometime implied that 4 is better.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #870 of 1,215
ThieAudio Monarch MK3.jpg

IEM4.jpg

Monarch MK III is one CHONKY boi. :beyersmile:

It might not fit small ears but it's ergonomic, so I can wear it for about 2 hours before it starts making my ears sore.

Initial impressions are very, very good. Deep rumbling bass, good slam, but not at basshead level in my opinion. Not boomy or muddy bass. Really satisfying. Both the low end and highs extends for days. Bass also has amazing texture. Those double 10mm DDs are doing some work!

Mids and highs are obviously top notch. Lush and warm, yet sparkly and precise. No sibilance. Tonality is great. Imaging, soundstage, details are all insanely good. Basically, technicalities are all great. Very resolving IEM.

Cable isn't as bad as I've heard from some reviews. Not a tight weave/braid but it's good enough. Might look into cable upgrade but I don't feel the need to immediately switch it out. Otherwise, accessories are lacking for a $1k IEM.

Currently using SpinFit W1 with it. Fits perfectly.

Highly recommend this IEM if you want an engaging, fun, highly technical IEM with good tonality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back