ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #827 of 1,211
MK2 is already bass heavy, esp. from powerful source in BAL drive. Why anyone would want more than that, I wish I could tame it down a bit.
Do we have MK2 vs MK3 FQ graphs by any chance, haven't seen any posted yet?

quantity of bass on MkII is just nice, even the tuning is perfect for me, just the quality of the driver or dampening implementation that should be upgraded.

Here the graph by HBB :

MmkII vs MMkIII.png

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #828 of 1,211
quantity of bass on MkII is just nice, even the tuning is perfect for me, just the quality of the driver or dampening implementation that should be upgraded.

Here the graph by HBB :

MmkII vs MMkIII.png
Nice. Extra “meat” at 125 to balance out the sub. Extra 15kHz is always welcoming as well.

I don’t have Mk3, but I might be able to get my hands on the Hype 2 with the same woofers. Very eager to see if ThieAudio has fixed the bass.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #829 of 1,211
I can already say that the Mk3 might be slightly too bright for me. I dont know why they bumped 5-8k region. It was perfect on the Mk2. They could have just added a liitle bit of air beyond 10k and just slightly more midbass, thats all. Maybe the graph doesnt show any dramatic changes but i have a feeling in my guts that they both dont sound alike at all. Just take the Mk2, add a better DD driver and we have another hit from Thieaudio. But will wait for more impressions, especially on head fi, from fellow users. I trust them more than the reviewers.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #830 of 1,211
Even if the graph looks the same, you can’t quite predict how it sounds given the swap of DD (and I think BAs as well). Graph is a useful engineering tool, not the ultimate authority of sound quality.

I’m pretty positive that Mk3 would be excellent, but progress along the same line of Mk2, which is not my preference.

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #831 of 1,211
MK2 is already bass heavy, esp. from powerful source in BAL drive. Why anyone would want more than that, I wish I could tame it down a bit.
Do we have MK2 vs MK3 FQ graphs by any chance, haven't seen any posted yet?
Yep, it is strange how some want to turn every iem's replay to only one FR! The MMk2's bass is enough, the FR balance is nearly ideal, the timber and vocals are supreme, the sparkle is controlled and the airiness is very good...
And, if this is not your replay it doesn't mean that it is not good, especially for others, but going on the road to Legend Evo replay is just strange to me, and comparing even more.
And, partially it is the fault of the company - they claim it is v3... so introduce 1, 2, 3 switches, shape better the shell, add a DD,... but keep the FR similar and deliver a new one thru the switch and improve on quality and experience... Otherwise why you have Prestige and Prestige Ltd?

Jul 27, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #832 of 1,211
I can already say that the Mk3 might be slightly too bright for me. I dont know why they bumped 5-8k region. It was perfect on the Mk2. They could have just added a liitle bit of air beyond 10k and just slightly more midbass, thats all. Maybe the graph doesnt show any dramatic changes but i have a feeling in my guts that they both dont sound alike at all. Just take the Mk2, add a better DD driver and we have another hit from Thieaudio. But will wait for more impressions, especially on head fi, from fellow users. I trust them more than the reviewers.
Yep, just a second DD was enough...

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #835 of 1,211
So they have random faceplate design selection now, from gorgeous peacock tail like choice to completely underwhelming different shaded of grey in the video above.
Dunu SA6 OG had this, but at least all their choices were good looking.
But the shell size alone is a no go territory for me, even MK2 was pushing it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #837 of 1,211
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #839 of 1,211
Yep, my bad, seems like custom is extra $150, the default one though is a bit underwhelming.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/thieaudio-monarch-mkiii

I'm normally not concerned enough about aesthetics to go for a custom option, especially if the default option is nice enough. But I agree, the default MK3 is kinda blah. I would definitely be inclined to go custom, doesn't hurt that there are some pretty awesome options.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #840 of 1,211
The nicest faceplate is the original Monarch for my taste, that sparkling with gradients of blue green to soft purple were elegantly amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back