ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Jul 24, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #797 of 1,211
I really don't understand the hype about the Monarch mk2. They are not pretty, they are too big to fit comfortably in the ears. SQ is good for their price but it is definitely better to add some $$$ to Mest OG or mk2

The Monarch Mk2 is better than both Mests. Ive tested Mest OG and it was a disaster when it comes to the tuning. Ive had the Mest 2 and sold it after 2 weeks. The tuning of it was off, with its muffled and into my face vocals, too bright 6-8k area and a messed up imaging. When A/B the Monarch 2 vs Mest 2 i really regreted buying the Mests even for 980e new. Sold them for the u12t which are superior in every department.

Well, apparently we have different tastes :)

I'm with you. I much prefer MEST to Monarch MKII, and I also prefer the OG Monarch to the MKII as well. Both have more "special sauce" to my ears whereas MKII is kinda boring and uninspired to me(even though I still recognize its strengths). Although I'm appreciating the MKII more than ever with these Pentaconn Brass tips. Adds more thump to the bass and a little more air to the signature. I feel like I've unlocked the MKII or something.

That sounds interesting. It seems that these tips emphasize the extreme bands of FR, that's what I need in Monarch mk2 :)

Well Monarch Mk II vs Mests, I have both in the end and for me I prefer Mest myself. As I'm trying to be as objective as I can (both are my babies) I still prefer Mest OG as 1 complete package. Mest have my important preference in bass quality and soundstage/imaging. Bass quality in Mest is better to me, clean but impactful, deeper than Monarch MkII's that I said have average or below standard if going to fight in TOTL class. They sounded like trapped bass, big rumble inside there but with bad airflow or dampening system so they can't go out on one bass attack note. I don't have any problem with the tuning of the bass, Mests and Monarch MkII sharing the similar tuck in bass tuning with clean bleeding free bass, sub bass focus but again the implementation or driver quality isn't the same. And then the soundstage and imaging. Mest have best layering imaging with big soundstage that really special, it's slightly better than IER-M9, matching the u12t. Meanwhile Monarch MkII soundstage is kinda small as TOTL class IEMs, they are presented in intimate way, but on positive side the emotion on mids, the lush and intimate vocals are Monarch MkII's best feature. For vocal and timbre focused genre, Monarch MkII beat the Mests, 1 of the best Mids I ever heard from any IEMs that I've been owned and tried, ranging from $5 until $6000ish.
So they are trade blows one and another, with each strong points but back to preference in 1 package I still prefer Mest for my JPOP genre.
The u12t on other side is better IEMs that both, I put the u12t in my S class category along with Z1R, Odin and Annihilator, and probably Storm that I'm dreaming to listen to. Meanwhile Mest is on S- class and Monarch MkII on A+ class.
I tried on many sources and lot of eartips, the Feaulle latex H570 is my best eartips sonically and comfort currently, pair greatly with both Mest and Monarch MkII, with Azla sedna crystal on second for Monarch MkII, but they don't pair well with Mest (too bright and dry).

For those that have the Moondrop Variations as well as the MMKII, are they similar in size?

Nope, Monarch MkII is way bigger than Variations

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #798 of 1,211
with Azla sedna crystal on second for Monarch MkII, but they don't pair well with Mest (too bright and dry).
I'd say they exhibit the same treble emphasis on Monarch MK2, I've personally found Sedna Max more balanced and natural sounding.
And thanks for detailed comparison between models, super helpful. :thumbsup:

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #799 of 1,211
If you need more detailed comparisons between the two :

Mest OG (Me) vs Monarch MkII (Mo) :

Bass depth : Me > Mo
Bass quality : Me >>>>>> Mo
Bass impact (physically feeling) : Me > Mo
Bass texture : Me >> Mo
Sub bass rumble : Mo >> Me
Mid bass punch : Mo = Me
Upper bass warmness : Mo > Me

Lower mids : Mo = Me
Middle Mids : Mo > Me
High Mids : Mo >>>> Me
Mids details : Mo > Me
Mids timbre : Mo >>>>>> Me
Mids tonality : Mo >>> Me

Lower treble : Me > Mo
Upper treble : Me >> Mo
Treble extension : Me >>>> Mo
Treble details : Me >> Mo
Treble timbre : Mo >>>> Me

Soundstage width : Me >>>>> Mo
Soundstage depth : Me >> Mo
Imaging position : Me = Mo
Imaging layering (on complex tracks) : Me >> Mo (Mest have benefit from more "air perception" and soundstage width)

True resolution : Mo > Me
Coherency : Mo >>>> Me
Crispy details (aka sharpening effect on image) : Me >>> Mo
Smoothness : Mo >>> Me

Build quality : Me >>> Mo
Fit : Me >>> Mo
Value : Mo >>> Me

endgame 009.jpg

Again, YMMV buddies!

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #800 of 1,211
Jul 25, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #801 of 1,211
Really? I thought both are roughly at the same level: not much to talk about
20230306_150046.jpg

Well, if you open both you will know that Monarch MkII was fullfilled with lot of residue here and there, some blocking the tube ends that enough to alter the sound intended too (I already clear up mine), and the prints, material outside and inside. Mest otherwise seems have more professional build quality although both are Chifi.
I don't really care about shell though just because I was comparing both so I just wrote them up in case somebody care about this section.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #802 of 1,211
Well Monarch Mk II vs Mests, I have both in the end and for me I prefer Mest myself. As I'm trying to be as objective as I can (both are my babies) I still prefer Mest OG as 1 complete package. Mest have my important preference in bass quality and soundstage/imaging. Bass quality in Mest is better to me, clean but impactful, deeper than Monarch MkII's that I said have average or below standard if going to fight in TOTL class. They sounded like trapped bass, big rumble inside there but with bad airflow or dampening system so they can't go out on one bass attack note. I don't have any problem with the tuning of the bass, Mests and Monarch MkII sharing the similar tuck in bass tuning with clean bleeding free bass, sub bass focus but again the implementation or driver quality isn't the same. And then the soundstage and imaging. Mest have best layering imaging with big soundstage that really special, it's slightly better than IER-M9, matching the u12t. Meanwhile Monarch MkII soundstage is kinda small as TOTL class IEMs, they are presented in intimate way, but on positive side the emotion on mids, the lush and intimate vocals are Monarch MkII's best feature. For vocal and timbre focused genre, Monarch MkII beat the Mests, 1 of the best Mids I ever heard from any IEMs that I've been owned and tried, ranging from $5 until $6000ish.
So they are trade blows one and another, with each strong points but back to preference in 1 package I still prefer Mest for my JPOP genre.
The u12t on other side is better IEMs that both, I put the u12t in my S class category along with Z1R, Odin and Annihilator, and probably Storm that I'm dreaming to listen to. Meanwhile Mest is on S- class and Monarch MkII on A+ class.
I tried on many sources and lot of eartips, the Feaulle latex H570 is my best eartips sonically and comfort currently, pair greatly with both Mest and Monarch MkII, with Azla sedna crystal on second for Monarch MkII, but they don't pair well with Mest (too bright and dry).
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found Mona2 bass quality average or below average at that price point. I too prefer bass quality on Mest(mk2) and even Gaea to Mona2, they both use superior drivers to Mona2.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #803 of 1,211
It's hard not to hear the difference between exclusive bit-perfect WASAPI or ASIO and Shared mode required by Equalizer APO on PC.
That is a different thing, as there are too many parameters involved, especially if there is an automatic gain control by APO / software volume control is applied by the OS mixer. Often people think the change in the gain is a change in audio quality, forgetting a very basic fact that our ear sensitivity to different regions of the audible frequency spectrum is not the same. Anyway... There's simply too much misinformation and lack of experience for using an EQ, and I guess it is easier for some to click on the buy button.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #805 of 1,211
I really don't understand the hype about the Monarch mk2. They are not pretty, they are too big to fit comfortably in the ears. SQ is good for their price but it is definitely better to add some $$$ to Mest OG or mk2
All very subjective! Pretty - in my country we say: regarding taste and color there are no friends. Too big - they fit perfectly in my years, better than SA6 og/ultra/mk2. Mest - I have the OG (which I find better in technicalities than Mest v2) but it is fully different replay: it is not reference but fun and yes soundstage is slightly larger than that od MMk2 but sometimes gets chaotic.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #806 of 1,211
If you need more detailed comparisons between the two :

Mest OG (Me) vs Monarch MkII (Mo) :

Bass depth : Me > Mo
Bass quality : Me >>>>>> Mo
Bass impact (physically feeling) : Me > Mo
Bass texture : Me >> Mo
Sub bass rumble : Mo >> Me
Mid bass punch : Mo = Me
Upper bass warmness : Mo > Me

Lower mids : Mo = Me
Middle Mids : Mo > Me
High Mids : Mo >>>> Me
Mids details : Mo > Me
Mids timbre : Mo >>>>>> Me
Mids tonality : Mo >>> Me

Lower treble : Me > Mo
Upper treble : Me >> Mo
Treble extension : Me >>>> Mo
Treble details : Me >> Mo
Treble timbre : Mo >>>> Me

Soundstage width : Me >>>>> Mo
Soundstage depth : Me >> Mo
Imaging position : Me = Mo
Imaging layering (on complex tracks) : Me >> Mo (Mest have benefit from more "air perception" and soundstage width)

True resolution : Mo > Me
Coherency : Mo >>>> Me
Crispy details (aka sharpening effect on image) : Me >>> Mo
Smoothness : Mo >>> Me

Build quality : Me >>> Mo
Fit : Me >>> Mo
Value : Mo >>> Me

Again, YMMV buddies!
About the most I would agree but with some assault on:
Bass: MMk2 scales better - all 'flaws' disappear when paired with TT2 and with Mojo2 is also marvelous, and when paired with tubes replays equally;
Lower mids: well the mids are 70% of my music so - totally happy;
Lower treble: I just hear it like slightly better for the MMk2 - might be the source, might be since I do not listen to much female vocals;
Soundstage: agree but here is my greatest assault - Me gets sometimes chaotic in soundstage like you may hear one and the some instrument from left and right while it is only right;
Resolution: agree;
Build quality: I do not see flaws in MMk2 and its cable is better according to me;
Something to add: timber Mo>>Me and bone conduction of Me is not working for everyone.
My Holy Trinity is: Z1R + Helios + MMk2 (SA6 v2 and Mest v1 are greatest contenders).
Btw, lately I am amazed by the replay of BQEYZ Winter - great texture, depth and width (hits x3 of its price).

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #809 of 1,211
What is this video demonstrating? I see a bunch of tracks. How is it a sound demo of the III?
I dont get your question but anyways, obviously this wont show how they really sound but comparing with other demos of the MMk2, Mest 2 etc, this one seems to have a bite added to the edges of notes. Not sure if it improves the sound over the MMk2. Will wait for more reviews.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #810 of 1,211
I dont get your question but anyways, obviously this wont show how they really sound but comparing with other demos of the MMk2, Mest 2 etc, this one seems to have a bite added to the edges of notes. Not sure if it improves the sound over the MMk2. Will wait for more reviews.
My question is... what is the point of this video? It's a bunch of tracks that are going to sound like whatever speakers we play them through. Is the music equalized to sound as if its being played through the MK3?

OK, I read the disclaimer.... yeah I don't know how much value this could have. Differences between iems can be pretty subtle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back