ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #766 of 1,211
For me the most important point is still the 99dB sensitivity. That slight tweak in the tuning can easily be done with EQ. This is low, full size HP level low. I mean some DAPs / dongles even might struggle with it especially their battery life). Even MK2 was already low and I was expecting an improvement there and they went even lower. Does that slight tweak in the lows really justify the 9dB drop in the sensitivity, I am not sure. The reason I use an IEM is because it has higher sensitivity, but MK3 just disregards that. I am surprised with that choice.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #768 of 1,211
If anyone has the Pentaconn Coreir Brass tips you should try them with Monarh MKII. It has been an awesome combo so far!

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #771 of 1,211
Alarming trend of releasing new MK almost every year, Dunu SA6 OG, SA6 Ultra, SA6 MK2, Monarch MK1, MK2, MK3, Moondrop Blessing 1, 2, 3, etc.
HD650 lasted for how long before Sennheiser decided to introduce inferior to original HD660, still keeps original in production and sells at a hefty premium.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #772 of 1,211
Alarming trend of releasing new MK almost every year, Dunu SA6 OG, SA6 Ultra, SA6 MK2, Monarch MK1, MK2, MK3, Moondrop Blessing 1, 2, 3, etc.
HD650 lasted for how long before Sennheiser decided to introduce inferior to original HD660, still keeps original in production and sells at a hefty premium.
Even worse, Thieaudio and co tend to quickly discontinue the 'old' model... I know many people maintain that the best Monarch is the OG, but newer listeners to the brand will have tons of trouble tracking down a pair to try. Sennheiser will still sell you the classic 600/650 even years after the 660...

It'll be interesting to see if Thieaudio keeps Monarch 2 around for a while. It still seems exceptionally popular, and I don't see Crinacle updating his 'Rankings' anytime soon - that alone must drive a lot of business for the 2.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #773 of 1,211
Even worse, Thieaudio and co tend to quickly discontinue the 'old' model... I know many people maintain that the best Monarch is the OG, but newer listeners to the brand will have tons of trouble tracking down a pair to try. Sennheiser will still sell you the classic 600/650 even years after the 660...

It'll be interesting to see if Thieaudio keeps Monarch 2 around for a while. It still seems exceptionally popular, and I don't see Crinacle updating his 'Rankings' anytime soon - that alone must drive a lot of business for the 2.
Asking because I do not know the history here: Oracle still seems to be around but Clairvoyance and Monarch I seems to be sold out. Has Monarch I been out of production?

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #774 of 1,211

Well, i think that the Monarch OG is inferior to the Mk2. There are just a few who think otherwise. The Mk2 is extremely refined, natural and balanced. The OG doesnt have the magic the Mk2 has. I even think that the Mk3 will have inferior midrange to the Mk2. Sometimes when compare the Mk2 to the u12t, the Mk2 wins in mindrange. To me, it won even against the Odin, and easily beats the Mest Mk1 and Mk2. I dont think either the Monarch Mk3 or the Prestige ltd will beat the Mk2 when it comes to the midrange masterclass. For me the MMk2 is a better version of the hd600/hd650. Its an established classic already, at least to me.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #775 of 1,211
Well, i think that the Monarch OG is inferior to the Mk2. There are just a few who think otherwise. The Mk2 is extremely refined, natural and balanced. The OG doesnt have the magic the Mk2 has. I even think that the Mk3 will have inferior midrange to the Mk2. Sometimes when compare the Mk2 to the u12t, the Mk2 wins in mindrange. To me, it won even against the Odin, and easily beats the Mest Mk1 and Mk2. I dont think either the Monarch Mk3 or the Prestige ltd will beat the Mk2 when it comes to the midrange masterclass. For me the MMk2 is a better version of the hd600/hd650. Its an established classic already, at least to me.
Man, you really love your Monarch II

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #776 of 1,211
Jul 24, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #778 of 1,211
How good are Prestige comparing to Monarch MK2. Reviewer mentioned that they are better technically than MK3, feeling more intrigued trying those than getting another MK of the same thing.

Incidentally found comparison review while typing this.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #779 of 1,211
How good are Prestige comparing to Monarch MK2. Reviewer mentioned that they are better technically than MK3, feeling more intrigued trying those than getting another MK of the same thing.

You don't want the original Prestige:wink: if you want to go Prestige way, the LTD version is for you.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #780 of 1,211

I found the prestige alright. It’s a good IEM, but lack some sorts of “special sauce” for that price range. In other words, it does not convince me that it is better than Monarch II for a lot more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back