ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #886 of 1,211
This is probably the most comprehensive review of the Monarch MK III so far, and the one I agree with most on YouTube.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #887 of 1,211
The classical pinna gain 2-4k wasn't boosted on the Mest actually but subdued unnaturally. What wast boosted was the 6-8k region which made them sound unnatural and too bright. So in a result we have veiled vocals and too bright mid trebles. Also im not sure if would call them harsh but too bright, funky and piercing - yes.
Yeah, MEST (and kublai khan) has real treble boost but subdued ear gain. Monarch II has boosted ear gain and then rolling off the treble. Rolling off the treble is supposed to be the preference of most listeners, as per Harman research (“good” speakers according to their findings are not flat but downward sloping).

It’s the matter of taste. I like stage and imaging a lot, and my ears happen to work with the BCD of MEST series, so I think it is more impressive, even though MEST II is not as detailed.

MEST III is a different beast though. I don’t think Monarch II can match the tech of that one, unless you don’t like the coloured tuning of MEST III.

Very eager for Monarch III. I look at the custom design page everyday 😂

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #888 of 1,211
Very eager for Monarch III. I look at the custom design page everyday 😂
I do like how they're offering so many options and combinations for customization.

I don't like how they're charging $100-$150 for them.

What I really want to see is how the other shell colors and other faceplate designs look like, besides the "Sunset Horizon, Butterfly, and Disco" options. I think there are going to be some really nice combinations once people start getting their custom preorders in.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #889 of 1,211
What I really want to see is how the other shell colors and other faceplate designs look like, besides the "Sunset Horizon, Butterfly, and Disco" options. I think there are going to be some really nice combinations once people start getting their custom preorders in.
Take a look at Bloom Audio page, they have some samples of different combinations. Pearl actually looks quite exquisite and not much into your face like Disco and Butterfly, but I honestly warming up to understated "smoky" default version which is quite interesting on its own.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #890 of 1,211
Take a look at Bloom Audio page, they have some samples of different combinations. Pearl actually looks quite exquisite and not much into your face like Disco and Butterfly, but I honestly warming up to understated "smoky" default version which is quite interesting on its own.
I've checked their page many times. I bought my MM3 from Bloom. They only have 2 "Aurora" pearl faceplates with black shell pictured.

I'm talking about the other faceplates and shell color combinations. I believe the colored shells are transparent. If they are, I'd be interested to know if you can see the drivers and wiring through the shell.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #891 of 1,211
I've checked their page many times. I bought my MM3 from Bloom. They only have 2 "Aurora" pearl faceplates with black shell pictured.

I'm talking about the other faceplates and shell color combinations. I believe the colored shells are transparent. If they are, I'd be interested to know if you can see the drivers and wiring through the shell.

If you look at them on their Linsoul page, they for sure look transparent. It'll be interesting to see the combos people come up with.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #892 of 1,211
I do like how they're offering so many options and combinations for customization.

I don't like how they're charging $100-$150 for them.

I wish there is a transparent design. Maybe they don’t line up the internals that nicely. When I tap on the faceplate of my Hype2, I hear a springy sound on one side, like something is coming loose 💀

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #893 of 1,211
Even I love my Mest, that really a very biased and subjective comment with being harsh to other people.
Like I said everything is based on preferences especially when you are listening to high end stuffs. I wrote comparison clearly between Mest and Monarch mkII few pages back, everything have own pros and cons, some better on each departments and vice versa, just depends on our own preferences.
And song genre, chain everything take parts too.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #894 of 1,211
Looks like a winner for me. I love the mkii. I tried the Dvinity 16, which is a good iem, but the all BA just lacks a little of that special sauce and feels blunted compared to mkii. I also have the Prestige, which I hoped would be a more V shaped mkii, and it kinda is. It does not have that same holographic magic that the mkii, and the treble can get spicey in the wrong mix/EQ, but I still really like it. If the mkii elevates the mid bass on the mkii, that seems like a winner for my tastes, as boht mkii and prestige play well for punk, hardcore, and metal.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #895 of 1,211
This article on headphones.com compares MK2 to MK3 in pretty good detail. My bad if it's already been posted somewhere.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #896 of 1,211
This article on headphones.com compares MK2 to MK3 in pretty good detail. My bad if it's already been posted somewhere.
Excellent write up that completely cooled off my upgrade urge. Looks like ThieAudio missed the mark with this one.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #897 of 1,211
Excellent write up that completely cooled off my upgrade urge. Looks like ThieAudio missed the mark with this one.
They didn't though.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #898 of 1,211
They didn't though.
Guess depending on what you are after, elevated bass and zing treble is definitely not my kind of thing, MK2 tuning is near perfect in that regard, curious where MK3 ends on Crinnacle's list.
Did you upgrade from MK2, btw, what MK3 do better in you opinion?

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #899 of 1,211
Guess depending on what you are after, elevated bass and zing treble is definitely not my kind of thing, MK2 tuning is near perfect in that regard, curious where MK3 ends on Crinnacle's list.
Did you upgrade from MK2, btw, what MK3 do better in you opinion?
I was just replying to your comment where you said Thie missed the mark with the MKIII. They didn't miss. The article/review never implied that either. In fact, their conclusion states:

Should You Buy Them?​

Yes. Both the Thieaudio Monarch MkII and MkIII get a solid recommendation from me. Truth be told, Precogvision and I decided to remove the Monarch MkII from the buying guide as we really wanted to narrow down the recommendations. The MkII felt a little too “normal” compared to the Helios and U4s despite its numerous strengths. In retrospect, perhaps that decision was a bit too hasty. The MkII is still an excellent IEM and very safe option. It’s a textbook example of doing everything a great IEM should do.

But that’s why I think the MkIII edges out the MkII for me. It has character. As so often with hobbies like this, the deeper one goes, there is a tendency to desire something a little more unique. The MkIII accomplishes that with its midbass body and treble performance while backing it all up with technical performance on par with or exceeding its predecessors. Having both the MkII and MkIII in front of me, the MkIII is the one I keep coming back to. I happily rank it among the Symphonium Helios and 64 Audio U4s as one of the best options for the $1,000 mark (and frankly, even beyond). The kilobuck market has never been healthier.
I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Thie "missed the mark" from that article/review.

It's fine if you think it's not worth the upgrade and shelling out another $1,000 for a "sidegrade and a minor upgrade," isn't what you want to do.

If you want to take their treble "zing" comment and use it as your reasoning to not purchase the MKIII, that's fine too.

But Thie in no way "missed the mark" with the MKIII. They hit the mark again, and for people like me (and most reviewers), we prefer the MKIII to MKII.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #900 of 1,211
Ahaha, how absurd: "Truth be told, Precogvision and I decided to remove the Monarch MkII from the buying guide as we really wanted to narrow down the recommendations. The MkII felt a little too “normal” compared to the Helios and U4s despite its numerous strengths. In retrospect, perhaps that decision was a bit too hasty. The MkII is still an excellent IEM and very safe option. It’s a textbook example of doing everything a great IEM should do."
Thank you, the article's headline could be "I got so bored that I will accept some sibilance and incoherent soundstage for a smidge of detail more"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back