ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #871 of 1,211
ThieAudio Monarch MK3.jpg

IEM4.jpg

Monarch MK III is one CHONKY boi. :beyersmile:

It might not fit small ears but it's ergonomic, so I can wear it for about 2 hours before it starts making my ears sore.

Initial impressions are very, very good. Deep rumbling bass, good slam, but not at basshead level in my opinion. Not boomy or muddy bass. Really satisfying. Both the low end and highs extends for days. Bass also has amazing texture. Those double 10mm DDs are doing some work!

Mids and highs are obviously top notch. Lush and warm, yet sparkly and precise. Tonality is great. Imaging, soundstage, details are all insanely good. Basically, technicalities are all great. Very resolving IEM.

Cable isn't as bad as I've heard from some reviews. Not a tight weave/braid but it's good enough. Might look into cable upgrade but I don't feel the need to immediately switch it out. Otherwise, accessories are lacking for a $1k IEM.

Currently using SpinFit W1 with it. Fits perfectly.

Highly recommend this IEM if you want an engaging, fun, highly technical IEM with good tonality.
Oof, they have the same kind of braiding on Hype2 as well. Kinda hate it :dt880smile:

Seems like an IEM without any noticeable weakness. Congrats on your shiny 🎉

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #872 of 1,211
Oof, they have the same kind of braiding on Hype2 as well. Kinda hate it :dt880smile:

Seems like an IEM without any noticeable weakness. Congrats on your shiny 🎉
Thanks. In my opinion, Monarch MKIII is definitely worth $1,000. Extra $100-$150 for bling, which I think is a ripoff but I know a lot of people will pay for those sexy faceplates. I was tempted but I like the default faceplates too. Might spend that bling money on cable upgrade. Not sure yet.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #873 of 1,211
Thanks. In my opinion, Monarch MKIII is definitely worth $1,000. Extra $100-$150 for bling, which I think is a ripoff but I know a lot of people will pay for those sexy faceplates. I was tempted but I like the default faceplates too. Might spend that bling money on cable upgrade. Not sure yet.
I know, let’s custom Monarch III with the faceplate of Monarch II 🤡

The stock faceplate looks better than what I imagined.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #874 of 1,211
I know, let’s custom Monarch III with the faceplate of Monarch II 🤡

The stock faceplate looks better than what I imagined.
Default faceplate is actually really cool. The black resin is free flowing and layers on top of the white marble-like design. I think each ear piece, each set is unique, due to how the resin flows. I don't love the confetti but it does add some pop and bling. The amount of glitter used and colors are unique and different on each ear piece as well.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #876 of 1,211
You are 1 in 1000 (so you are not wrong lol).
The mest mk2 smokes the Monarch mk2 in almost every way. Many many reviewers agree with that take. It has that wow factor and the Monarch mk2 not as much (unless you are coming from budget iems lol).
Well, audio is very subjective. For you "many many reviewers" on your side who agree that MEST Mk2 being better than Monarch Mk2, I also have many many reviewers and friends who think the opposite as well. Remember, the personal bias isn't just limited to music library and taste, but sometimes also the choice of reviewers. As long as you understand that, there is no problem in having differing opinions of course...

Personally, I tried MEST Mk2 and I have to say that I prefer Monarch Mk2 in almost every way. You can add me to your "1 in 1000".

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #877 of 1,211
Thinking of getting Monarch MKII as my end game IEM. Does anyone know how well they would pair with my iFi Go Blu/M0 Pro/Dragonfly Cobalt? Or is there any recommended source for Monarch MKII?
The only issue you can have is in the bass area. Some people say the MMk2 has too polite bass, other say it has too much. I don't know why but in my case the MMk2 bass changes depending on the source. From many daps it has a rather polite bass but from IBasso dx320 with a tube amp or from the Pegasus sg1 Gold, the MMk2 had the bass on a basshead levels. It's strange because it doesn't seem to be dependent on the power of the source. Overall I would say it has a good bass but nothing special, not as satisfying as the u12t for example. But the rest is purely fantastic. I would recommend a more powerful source for them, like the ifi Gryphon, Pegasus Gold or some powerful dap. They also sounded great from most desktop amps I've tried with them.

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #878 of 1,211
Thinking of getting Monarch MKII as my end game IEM. Does anyone know how well they would pair with my iFi Go Blu/M0 Pro/Dragonfly Cobalt? Or is there any recommended source for Monarch MKII?
Dongles: Cayin RU6 (great natural timber), RU7 (great combo of balance, stage, analytics). DAPs: Mojo2 (superb dap in anything and superb combo) and Hiby RS6 (very natural and spacious replay, later add an amp NX7 to scale up) and I find my 'old' Fiio Q5s great pair for the MMk2 like dac/amp and like amp/RS6.

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #879 of 1,211
Well, audio is very subjective. For you "many many reviewers" on your side who agree that MEST Mk2 being better than Monarch Mk2, I also have many many reviewers and friends who think the opposite as well. Remember, the personal bias isn't just limited to music library and taste, but sometimes also the choice of reviewers. As long as you understand that, there is no problem in having differing opinions of course...

Personally, I tried MEST Mk2 and I have to say that I prefer Monarch Mk2 in almost every way. You can add me to your "1 in 1000".
3 of 1000 🍻

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #880 of 1,211

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #882 of 1,211
People write such statements when they are emotionally unstable:)
Or trying to push a narrative/agenda.

Or trying to make their expensive purchases justified.

Or they just like trolling and crapping on other people's opinions and favorite things.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #883 of 1,211
Even I love my Mest, that really a very biased and subjective comment with being harsh to other people.
Like I said everything is based on preferences especially when you are listening to high end stuffs. I wrote comparison clearly between Mest and Monarch mkII few pages back, everything have own pros and cons, some better on each departments and vice versa, just depends on our own preferences.
And song genre, chain everything take parts too.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #884 of 1,211
I don't get the hype with Mest Mk2 either, its elevated pinna gain made vocals sound harsh and treble is wonky, bass wasn't anything special too. UM's best IEM couldn't hold a candle to Thieaudio's best.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #885 of 1,211
I don't get the hype with Mest Mk2 either, its elevated pinna gain made vocals sound harsh and treble is wonky, bass wasn't anything special too. UM's best IEM couldn't hold a candle to Thieaudio's best.
The classical pinna gain 2-4k wasn't boosted on the Mest actually but subdued unnaturally. What wast boosted was the 6-8k region which made them sound unnatural and too bright. So in a result we have veiled vocals and too bright mid trebles. Also im not sure if would call them harsh but too bright, funky and piercing - yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back