They're back - The HF-2 now available again!
Aug 10, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #153 of 223

Quote:
They are gorgeous, this is a very long thread so I did not yet find out how much and how to order a pair?  I cannot afford rs1 so was hoping these are cheaper. Are they comparable to the rs1?

Thanks much,
Teresa

Yes, but the sound signature is different. The main differences from my reading of the forum threads is that the HF2 is a darker sounding phone overall, with a slightly recessed mid-range compared to the RS1. The HF2's highs are not as pronounced and it has more bass presence. The RS1 appears to have a slightly more detailed presentation than the HF2. 

I have the HF2 and like it. Unfortunately, I've not had the opportunity to compare it to the RS1. However, when I compare it to the SR125, I would say that it doesn't sound as crisp or as clean, but that's probably due to the SR125's tipped up treble. I suspect that the RS1 would sound more lively and cleaner in the typical Grado style. The HF2 is a subdued phone by Grado standards but a very enjoyable and non-fatiguing listen.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #155 of 223
^ Well, Grado's are known for having lively treble presentation and lean, tight bass. They tend to sound bright rather than dark. Some people find the Grado treble presentation too "hot", and it can be fatiguing. The HF2's treble presentation isn't as strident. It's more subdued and that along with its bigger bass presentation makes it sound less bright; thus darker. It's not a dark sounding phone per se. Just on the dark side of Grado.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #156 of 223

Quote:
^ Well, Grado's are known for having lively treble presentation and lean, tight bass. They tend to sound bright rather than dark. Some people find the Grado treble presentation too "hot", and it can be fatiguing. The HF2's treble presentation isn't as strident. It's more subdued and that along with its bigger bass presentation makes it sound less bright; thus darker. It's not a dark sounding phone per se. Just on the dark side of Grado.

Well put...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #157 of 223
HI All,

Just talked to Grado Labs and John says we are still 2 weeks or so out. Progress is slow but the HF-2 is moving forward. I will keep you updated as I get more info.

Todd

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #159 of 223
Thanks for the explanation, you should write reviews, very expressive.
I am going to try my MS1i and see how they sound.  I have not had them for long so am not very good at picking things out as I fell in love with the overall sound.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #160 of 223
I thought the ms1i sounded good.  If I can get a few more dollars together I might have a chance to buy either a used rs1 for around $400 or get the HF-2.   Too many headphones, too little time.  Cannot decide.
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #161 of 223
In the same boat as a couple of others from the other HF-2 thread, pretty disappointed, ordered early and've been waiting several months and counting, all the time with my money held right at the start despite the phones being out of stock...

Despite the great oppurtunity it was, I'm at the end of my rope now, dithering as to whether I should cancel too.

Pessimism aside, those who order now at least won't get the horrible and unexepected waits.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #163 of 223
I am looking forward to receiving my HF-2, I have either tried or owned all current production Grado phones except RS-2 and based on the reviews I have read - I think - HF-2 might be the cup of tea for me ...

The fact that this great headphone is now made available for more head-fiers to enjoy - I think is good thing for our audio community.

I can understand why people would be upset from investment / "limited" edition ownership aspects. In any case I think that one would lose less money re-selling HF-2 vs. most other headphones including other phones from Grado stable ...

Let's enjoy the music and share this hobby!

Peace and love

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #165 of 223
I don't like wearing my SR60 in public because it makes me look like a big goof!

Does the HF2--with its sexy, sensual metal exterior--look less goofy on human heads?

Are there any pics on Head-fi of it being worn by someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back