There's Something About Ultrasone…
Sep 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #5,311 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your 780s will settle for you. I heard a pair which had around 500 hrs on them and the highs remained unbearable for me at times. One of the reasons why I did not came to like them.
The ALO-mod does a recable and a mod to the earcups if I am not mistaken. According to what I've read the latter should tame the highs a little. You might want to look into that if it keeps on bugging you.

What I find strange is that when I compare 780 with 580, 580 sounds more sibilant and bright, and yet, 780's sibilance sounds more hurting even though the magnitude of sibilance is less than that of 580's.

Right now, it has about 200+ hours on it and continues to have the piercing high. I still kinda like the overall sound but we'll see how it shapes up at around 300 hours. I'm actually thinking of returning it if I don't see any noticeable difference by then. By doing that, I can save up some money for the new Pro 900.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #5,312 of 5,942
On one of the cable TV travel channels, I saw one of the soundmen (holding a boom mike during an interview with a local resident) -- wearing Ultrasones -- looked exactly like my PRO 750 to me, and I got a good look at it, several times.
I knew they are one of my cans that give the most natural, clear sound to vocals.

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #5,313 of 5,942
FRD of Proline 750 is not flat.

proline750_f.gif

My Proline 2500 neither

proline750_f.gif

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/

I wonder why Ultrasone build them that way. For low level listening, bass compensation ?

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #5,314 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find strange is that when I compare 780 with 580, 580 sounds more sibilant and bright, and yet, 780's sibilance sounds more hurting even though the magnitude of sibilance is less than that of 580's.

Right now, it has about 200+ hours on it and continues to have the piercing high. I still kinda like the overall sound but we'll see how it shapes up at around 300 hours. I'm actually thinking of returning it if I don't see any noticeable difference by then. By doing that, I can save up some money for the new Pro 900.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hmm, I have never heard the 580s so can't comment on that. I did hear the 680s and they were much more pleasant to the ear. Does not have these highs that make your ears in pain.
You could of course just return those 780s and take one for the team on the PRO900s
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #5,315 of 5,942
I've now had my 2008 pro 750's for a week - listen to them all day at work using my i-pod touch. far superior to all the sennheisers i tried (px100, 256, 650) which all seemed to have a wooly bass quality to them which i found annoying given the usual genres i listen to (electronica / dance and some rock).
now i'm on the lookout for a good match with a head amp - preferably a mains powered desktop version not too big and fully enclosed if valves are used - in the sub 200 ukp delivered range. any suggestions?

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #5,316 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FRD of Proline 750 is not flat.

proline750_f.gif

My Proline 2500 neither

proline750_f.gif

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/

I wonder why Ultrasone build them that way. For low level listening, bass compensation ?

The human ear does not hear the same as a microphone and a scope do . . . . while this represents what the headphone outputs, and is useful in comparing headphone models, it does not take into account what is presented to the eardrum of the listener.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #5,317 of 5,942
This is what I get when I look at the proline 2500 on that site:

proline2500_f.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #5,318 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The human ear does not hear the same as a microphone and a scope do . . . . while this represents what the headphone outputs, and is useful in comparing headphone models, it does not take into account what is presented to the eardrum of the listener.

This implies we should pick headphones that "match" eardrums.
L3000.gif

I listened to the ATH-AD2000 which sound very "flat", "flatter" than my Pro 2500's. However, the Pro 2500 are still decent headphones.

ATH-AD2000
ath-ad2000_f.gif

I wonder in what situations those charts are useful ?

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5,319 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder in what situations those charts are useful ?

Excellent question! Comparative maybe but not conclusive at all.

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #5,321 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I get when I look at the proline 2500 on that site:

proline2500_f.gif

That dip at around 5k is the reason I sold my 2500 but kept my 750 -- that slight loss of highs in that region...the difference is quite audible to me.

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #5,322 of 5,942
you mean the dip around 3k? or 8k? 5-7k looks slightly boosted.

anyways, i feel that ultrasones would be the least accurately represented by these graphs, because ultrasone headphones depend more on the outer ear and pinna or whatever. these setups all attempt to mimic it, but those that depend less on the pinna and more on direct hitting of the eardrum without being warped will look more accurate.

that said, i have never heard an ultrasone but am interested in trying out maybe the 680's.

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #5,323 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean the dip around 3k? or 8k? 5-7k looks slightly boosted.

anyways, i feel that ultrasones would be the least accurately represented by these graphs, because ultrasone headphones depend more on the outer ear and pinna or whatever. these setups all attempt to mimic it, but those that depend less on the pinna and more on direct hitting of the eardrum without being warped will look more accurate.

that said, i have never heard an ultrasone but am interested in trying out maybe the 680's.

i can't prove it, but when listening to my prolines i feel they don't sound like what the freq response graph indicates at all. i guess i listen to higher volumes that what they tested the headphones at.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #5,324 of 5,942
Let me begin by saying how glad I am that my new PL 2500's arrived last week
smily_headphones1.gif
for the bargain of 210 EUR. I had to sell my SR225's for those, but it was time to try something new. Straight out of the box, the amount of bass was most apparent, especially when compared to Grado's. However it also took a little getting used to the vocals, I do not seem to get the same i'm-standing-right-next-to-the-artist feeling (I believe forward is the term for this?).
After about 50 hours of burn in the lows have tamed down a bit, the highs have become somewhat more shrill in certain recordings but I do expect this to change again over the course of their burn-in, according to other posts in this thread.

Yesterday something happened that actually is the reason for this post; a close friend came by and spotted the headphones, so I explained how I got them and everything. Now, my friend is a musician, he plays the guitar brilliantly and we are in a flamenco band together, so he does have a certain passion and ear for music. Ask him what 'a grado' is however, and he would most likely tell you it is some kind of fruit. He has no prior knowledge of high-end headphones and he had certainly never heard of Ultrasone.

Of course I invited him to listen, so he puts the phones on and I start 'Don't Panic' by Coldplay. Then a funny thing happens, he starts to smile, and says:
'wow, these sound really amazing, even better than your last pair I listened to (SR-60's, as I recall), the sound really is all around your head, as if they give some kind of 3D effect to the music. And there's far less pressure on your ears, I bet you could play these a lot louder than regular headphones and still be comfortable?'

By this time I was astound, and enthusiastically started to explain about S-Logic and driver placement, still amazed that his observation so accurately described the advocated benefits of Ultrasones.
Actually, I was even a little jealous at his reaction, as the amazement for myself had not been _that_ great the first time I put on the 2500's. The soundstage definitely was wider than my former SR225's, but I would not have coined the term 3D. And while the Ultrasones aren't fatiguing in i.m.o., I did not feel that much of a difference in pressure (at normal listening levels) when compared to Grados. So I wondered, in what extent all the info gathering from head-fi, and our prior understanding of S-Logic generate expectations that distort the capability of clear audio perception when a new pair of phones arrives?
I sure has hell already had a predisposed idea of how these would sound (grado's with more bass), and vividly imagined how wonderful they would be, a long time before they arrived. How hard would it be to actually match these expectations! Very!

And now I'm curious, has anybody else let their non-head-fi-obsessed friends listen to ultrasones? Maybe with similar responses? I'll be trying out the same thing with some other friends....

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #5,325 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exocet85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And now I'm curious, has anybody else let their non-head-fi-obsessed friends listen to ultrasones? Maybe with similar responses? I'll be trying out the same thing with some other friends....

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back