There's Something About Ultrasone…
Oct 17, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #5,326 of 5,942
I'm looking for a new pair of closed headphones for listening to while at work (mostly).

Because of where I will be using them, they need to have minimal leakage of sound (or no leakage, preferably, like my current Beyerdynamic DT770s).

So, I'm curious, how is the leakage on the Edition 9?

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #5,327 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I'm curious, how is the leakage on the Edition 9?

I use them at the office (even though I don't share a room to care about the leakage.) They leak almost nothing, at very close range you might here that something is playing though.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #5,328 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use them at the office (even though I don't share a room to care about the leakage.) They leak almost nothing, at very close range you might here that something is playing though.

You're supposed to say "man, they leak like a sieve!" so that I'm not temped to buy them!
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously, though, I was kind of waiting to see how the PRO900 turned out, but it sounds like its darker than the Edition 9, and my current headphones (DT770s) already are a bit dark sounding to me, so now I'm thinking about the Edition 9s.

I briefly owned the Denon D5000s, and I thought that they sounded fantastic, but they leaked too much sound.
frown.gif

Any thoughts on how the Edition 9s compare to the D5000s?
confused.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #5,329 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're supposed to say "man, they leak like a sieve!" so that I'm not temped to buy them!
tongue_smile.gif

Seriously, though, I was kind of waiting to see how the PRO900 turned out, but it sounds like its darker than the Edition 9, and my current headphones (DT770s) already are a bit dark sounding to me, so now I'm thinking about the Edition 9s.

I briefly owned the Denon D5000s, and I thought that they sounded fantastic, but they leaked too much sound.
frown.gif

Any thoughts on how the Edition 9s compare to the D5000s?
confused.gif

Well, if it helps any the less expensive HFI-780 leak a little less than the Edition 9 (and a lot less than my D2000), and with a $250 re-cable job they sound like 90% of the Edition 9 (with the right amp - good high current SS amp).

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #5,330 of 5,942
Before today, I had previously tried the Pro 750 for several times but always ended hating them. I thought they were boomy, and very uneven in the midrange with spiky highs.

Today, I tried an Ultrasone Proline 750 (old version) powered by 2move. It was kind of a revelation for me. With the help of a longtime 750 owner, I was able to position them on my head in a way and they sounded VERY good. I wore it with the earpads pressing more against my earlobe at its center and the headphone tilt 10-20 degrees opening forward. Comfort went down a little but still okay. Weird but it worked for me, though maybe not everybody.

The bass was deep, the highs were quite detailed without being harsh anymore, and the most important thing is the midrange. The mids made female vocals sounded very... unique in a good way. Perhaps 'husky' is one word to describe it. Totally different sound from when I wore it in a conventional way. I used to think that the D2000 was the superior closed cans but after today I'm not so sure anymore. Still, I won't say the sound is for everybody, especially for people who think the sound open headphones like HD600 or K501 as the reference sound.

I am writing this because feel that this headphones sometimes got a bad rep because of their long burn-in period or that some people simply failed to wear them correctly when auditioning these. Amp matching is important too.
This topic has been repeated over and over but I'm a convert now
L3000.gif

Strangely didn't have trouble with the leather padded DJ1pro, HFI550, HFI700DVD, edition 9, and some others.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #5,331 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before today, I had previously tried the Pro 750 for several times but always ended hating them. I thought they were boomy, and very uneven in the midrange with spiky highs.

Today, I tried an Ultrasone Proline 750 (old version) powered by 2move. It was kind of a revelation for me. With the help of a longtime 750 owner, I was able to position them on my head in a way and they sounded VERY good. I wore it with the earpads pressing more against my earlobe at its center and the headphone tilt 10-20 degrees opening forward. Comfort went down a little but still okay. Weird but it worked for me, though maybe not everybody.

The bass was deep, the highs were quite detailed without being harsh anymore, and the most important thing is the midrange. The mids made female vocals sounded very... unique in a good way. Perhaps 'husky' is one word to describe it. Totally different sound from when I wore it in a conventional way. I used to think that the D2000 was the superior closed cans but after today I'm not so sure anymore. Still, I won't say the sound is for everybody, especially for people who think the sound open headphones like HD600 or K501 as the reference sound.

I am writing this because feel that this headphones sometimes got a bad rep because of their long burn-in period or that some people simply failed to wear them correctly when auditioning these. Amp matching is important too.
This topic has been repeated over and over but I'm a convert now
L3000.gif

Strangely didn't have trouble with the leather padded DJ1pro, HFI550, HFI700DVD, edition 9, and some others.

glad to hear you didn't write them off as a lot of others do after brief auditions.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #5,332 of 5,942
I spent some time with the 750's and I understood why people hear a "metallic" sound, in which IMHO is what's missing in other headphones. Bought a pair of 750's, never looking back. Although I would love something musical to pair it with for badly recorded music.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #5,335 of 5,942
I got a HFI-2200 three days ago and have listened for about 15 hours and I find the big sound stage to be very satisfying, so much so I've had a stupid grin half the time I've been listening. I listened to the audio demo cd included with the headphone, and when it went to the water sounds I literally jumped, thinking my coffee cup was attacking me. With this headphone, music just flows into my ears, and my Bang & Olufsen A8's now sound like someone yelling at me. It makes my sensation of hearing feel so relaxed and receptive and I no longer strain to hear. It's my first expensive headphone and I feel I definitely picked the right one and I want to try to make it the best quality I can.

Would you guys recommend trying to get the headphone recabled? I tried looking for advice on recabling this headphone on google but nothing turned up, maybe because it's a J style cable. Another question, would you guys use crossfeed? I know S-logic is about driver placement, but could the two mess each other up is what I mean (although I like it best with the Bauer stereo-to-binaural DSP on).

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #5,336 of 5,942
Congrats! enjoy them. Listen to them a few months before changing them, play with your existing equipment a while and learn what you like about them and what you may not. Then when you do you can appreciate how to change things and understand why the sound changes with those modifications.

Cross-feed them or not, which do you like better that is the question. It is your musical enjoyment you after not mine.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #5,338 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question, would you guys use crossfeed? I know S-logic is about driver placement, but could the two mess each other up is what I mean ... .

Crossfeed and S-Logic work together quite well. I am using my crossfeed always when I listen to my Ed. 9

Jan 1, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #5,339 of 5,942
After very extensive use of the Ed. 9 with many different amps and again, 1000's of hours of use I can say that much more than before, I can hear the difference between the 750's. I enjoy the 750's for sure but I notice that One, I have to turn the volume up more to get the same detail with the 750's and they still do not present the clear clean wide open stage of the 9's. Same driver different enclosure and interior treatment of the 9's. I had to open them the other day as the L ear was shorting out. The solder point was bad but it gave me the opportunity to view the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back