There's Something About Ultrasone…
Sep 8, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #5,281 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"coloured in a good way" is perfectly fine for me. Tonal richness and vibrancy coupled with detail, speed and dynamics is my sonic goal. I don't care much for neutrality or accuracy, just euphony. Part of the reason why I used to love a friend's RS-1 out of the Melos Sha-1 during the first Sydney meets
biggrin.gif

Question, are you listening to the WA6 with the Apogee as source? How far does performance degrade when using the Pico as a DAC/preamp feeding the WA6?

Yes, I have the Apogee mini-DAC as the source, connected to the CD5001 via an expensive Synergistic Research Coax with wall powered active shielding. I am feeding the Apogee balanced XLR out into the Single Power with anti-cables XLR IC's, and using the RCA out of the Single Power to feed the WA6 using anti-cables RCA IC's. This is totally transparent, and the SP RCA out does not change the signal at all.

Switching to the Pico USB DAC as a pre-amp feeding the WA6 with a barqy or highflyin9 mini-RCA silver plated copper IC has always been fairly good without a big degradation in sound (although I use the Pico more as a DAC Pre-amp with the DV336i in my basement rig). I still think the Apogee is better, but the Pico is impressive as a DAC/Pre-amp and on the level of the Headroom Micro DAC via optical on my Macbook. (Malos didn't have good luck with Micro DAC due to USB Jitter, so ignoring that one issue it is a fair comparison). I only just got a Soloz mini-RCA with Litz braid configuration today, so I will have to try the Pico again with it and see how it does with a better interconnect.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5,282 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Switching to the Pico USB DAC as a pre-amp feeding the WA6 with a barqy or highflyin9 mini-RCA silver plated copper IC has always been fairly good without a big degradation in sound (although I use the Pico more as a DAC Pre-amp with the DV336i in my basement rig).

I only just got a Soloz mini-RCA with Litz braid configuration today, so I will have to try the Pico again with it and see how it does with a better interconnect.

I'm curious because I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck the Pico would be to a maxxed WA6. Obviously If i can get away with not having to purchase a new seperate DAC as well, I will
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #5,284 of 5,942
I think that as far as dac-preamp combos go that the Zhaolu is pretty darn good, especially with some mods.

Granted - it isn't portable.

You were right about the midrage suckout with the stock cable on the Pico Headphone_Addict
-|==+
gs1000.gif
(Shooting himself with extra Headphone enthusiasm)

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #5,285 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the resources to do an ALO style recable and an APS as well. Aww heck - why not both?

Greatest saying I've ever seen!

I know the ALO cable is easy to make. But, how do you know exactly you can make APS cable? Having the "resources" doesn't mean that you make it.

It strikes me that you can know all the cables around.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5,288 of 5,942
Quote:

Actually - forget both of those cables.

I am just going to use something completely of my own design and see how it goes. There is no real innovation that happens from using the design of someone else.

Yeah right. And who whispered that in your little ear as I have a strong feeling you didn't (couldn't) come up with that all by yourself.
And that you even have the guts to come in here and tell us that after your previous no-longer-around-cable-posts totally hits me
confused_face.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #5,290 of 5,942
Contrastique - you have no idea the stuff I have come up with. You will soon though - soon.

The posts were removed for referencing cable companies and dublicating them even though I never disclosed anything. Not my call.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #5,291 of 5,942
Quote:

Contrastique - you have no idea the stuff I have come up with. You will soon though - soon.

Ask me if I care.

Quote:

The posts were removed for referencing cable companies and dublicating them even though I never disclosed anything. Not my call.

I know it was not your call so read again DUHHH!!
NVM it's not as if you're ever gonna get it.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #5,292 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah right. And who whispered that in your little ear as I have a strong feeling you didn't (couldn't) come up with that all by yourself.
And that you even have the guts to come in here and tell us that after your previous no-longer-around-cable-posts totally hits me
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like genitalia to me.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask me if I care.

I know it was not your call so read again DUHHH!!
NVM it's not as if you're ever gonna get it.

Woah! what is going on?
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #5,294 of 5,942
I choose to remain silent during cat fights.

In Germania's defence though, some of her ideas work splendidly! I am spending a lot of time the past few days with some ATH-A900 that she heavily modded and re-cabled, and the sound is very nice and detailed with good soundstage and fairly decent bass control - to the point of being as enjoyable as an APS V2 cabled D2000 (mine are at APS being balanced, so can't compare). These sound identical to the ATH-D1000 optical digital 24/96 headphones that I owned for 6 months since March. I've never read of anyone claiming the A900 being good enough to keep that kind of company.

And, she did a great job on my Freq Show custom IEM cable in silver plated copper that makes them more listenable to me! I think she should go into business making these products.

So there.
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5,295 of 5,942
Quote:

Crap - I think I have a theme going on here.

My name is Germania - and my two main headphones are both germanic manufacture.

Seriously - there must be some german gene thing that this is playing into. As if it wasn't cliche enough that I am an engineer.

That would be an interesting subject matter.

Now that you're starting a company, you probably should refrain from claiming accomplishments you dont have yet...you're an engineering student, not an engineer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back