There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jul 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #5,221 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by flitflint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooooh.

I just discovered this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...0-mods-253489/

Very cool. I have to try this!

I suggest you play them a while longer using pink noise. Also note that kwkarth who wrote the thread about modifying the 650's wrote somewhere in that thread that the mods were for the 650 only and definitely should not be tried with the other Pro's (he specifically mentioned the 2500) because they are completely different headphones. At one point he wrote about first listening to the other Pro's and then, if necessary, doing a mod. So far, I haven't read anything about a mod on the other Pro's from him. You might want to write to him and ask if he ever listened to the other Pro's and if he found a mod necessary.
I really think your amp is part of the reason why the 650's sounded so strange to you. Have you ever tried them with a different amp or direct from an integrated amp? After this much burn-in time, it would be interesting to find out how they sound to you from a different source.
I have heard the 650's, enough to make some judgements about their sound but I have definitely heard the 750's a great deal more. I prefer the 750's. None-the-less, I liked the sound of the 650's (extensive burn-in time is extremely important with both the 650 and the 750) and I would have never thought to do the mods that kwkarth did on them. He wrote that he found them to be unlistenable without his mods. I have not heard his mods, but I certainly did not find them to be "unlistenable" after they went through some (but not full) burn-in time (without any mods).

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #5,224 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you play them a while longer using pink noise.

I think 2000+ hrs is really long enough and adding pink noise now is not going to make any difference.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #5,225 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think 2000+ hrs is really long enough and adding pink noise now is not going to make any difference.

You're probably right but I wanted to make sure all the basses were covered.
What do you think about the idea of trying different amps? My 750's sound fantastic (different degrees of "fantastic" depending on which amp I'm running them through) even when I run them through this inexpensive Behringer Amp 800 that's wired to the sound card on my office computer.

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #5,226 of 5,942
Peter you were right in saying the Proline 750 is designed to be studio monitors. In-fact I think it has the flattest frequency response among the Ultrasones along with the 2500...

Check out the thread ultrapaul made

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #5,228 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter you were right in saying the Proline 750 is designed to be studio monitors. In-fact I think it has the flattest frequency response among the Ultrasones along with the 2500...

Check out the thread ultrapaul made

I did not say the Pro (Proline 750) is designed to be studio monitors. I did not say that but according to ultrapaul, if I'm understanding his post correctly, they were designed for such a purpose in that he states "The PRO 750's are producer/engineer headphones. The flatter response of the PRO 750's is needed to hear exactly what the artist is playing/singing." What I did say is that audio coming from the Pro 750 is more similar to that same audio coming from high quality studio monitors than any other headphone I've ever heard.
Please look at this link and find post #35 my "Reply to Shahrose".

Looking for ~$300 reference, untouched, neutral, transparent, "artist-intended" headphones - Page 4 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #5,229 of 5,942
sorry guys, i'm out from Team Ultrasonista (for now)...i'm gonna miss my HFI580 a lot !
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #5,232 of 5,942
Hi hope someone can honestly tell me which headphones i should get I do love listening to music with my HD595(they broke warranty is done.) but i am also competitive gamer and i need a headphone with soundstage and details. so i can pinpoint footsteps etc. I have a tough decision between DT880 or pro 2500 maybe 750. Can someone who has tried both help me pick !!!!

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #5,233 of 5,942
I feel like my PL2500 need a little more oomph in the mids, but I haven't heard the same complaints about the 750. I know for me all I have to do is select the right amp for them, and I don't need EQ.

I think the imaging is good with movies, and kind of a "cloud of sound around my head" with music. So, it might make a good gamer headphone since it does well with movies. My Edition 9 have more precise instrument placement than my PL2500, and don't have any midrange suckout. I think those would be even better for gaming!

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #5,234 of 5,942
I used 2500s for gaming, and they worked pretty well. They actually had a better soundstage and precision imaging than my 5.1 computer speaker system.

Just didn't like them enough with the music I listened to, and having a set of cans for just gaming wasn't worth it to me.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #5,235 of 5,942
My 2500's just arrived, they certainly are the nicest looking pair of headphones I've had.

Everything is very 'hissy' at the moment, I would of put that down to my ears adjusting but after reading about Burn In it seems the phones are doing all the work.
wink.gif

The cable jack is jabbing into my left shoulder, that's a little annoying - aren't headphones about relaxing, do the designers sit there upright in a chair?
confused.gif

I have to say though you really do appreciate how amazing the Grado 80's are for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back