There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #5,161 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared an Ultrasone 2500 against the AKG 701's? Comments?

I prefer the Ultrasones. While the AKG 701 is an excellent, accurate headphone, I find it's bass response to be a little light. By way of comparison, the Ultrasone seems to have a more accurate and full bass, IMO. In other frequencies, they both seem to be accurate with a nice but somewhat different sound. Some think that the AKG is more accurate overall than the Ultrasone. I do not agree. Their thinking in this regard is probably affected by the differences in the sound stage between the two, IMO. With the AKG's slightly more mellow sound, specific sounds may be found either to the right, to the left, in the middle, or somewhere (in a "loose line") between those positions. With Ultrasone, the specific sounds could be at any one of those positions plus somewhere "over there" and somewhere outside of the head (once you become accustomed to the Ultrasone sound stage).
A headphone I prefer to both of these is the Ultrasone Proline (Pro) 750. It is a closed type phone whereas the previously mentioned headphones are both open type. Speicifically, the Proline (Pro) 750 has a clean, tight, "right in the pocket" sounding bass, IMO. It is, IMO, an accurate headphone. I own the 750 after listening to a number of other headphones. There are some headphones I haven't heard including the Dennon AD-H 5000 and the Ultrasone Ed 9 but of the ones I have heard, the Proline (Pro) 750 is my favorite. It is easy for me to "get lost" (in a good way) in it's very spacious sound. To my ears, the Proline (Pro) 2500 is a close second.

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #5,163 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which model is better as allround cams if unamped - D2000 or PL750?

Now that would be a very interesting comparison! I have heard both but not side by side so I really can't offer an opinion. I would really like to do that comparo though!

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #5,164 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which model is better as allround cams if unamped - D2000 or PL750?

bassed on my opinion D2000 (D5000 actually) vs. PL750, PL750 would be more all rounder for dirrect use...
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #5,165 of 5,942
Hey, I should contribute to the Ultrasone love. I got my first Ultrasones some time late last year. It was a used HFI-700 and it became my favorite headphone instantly. I had no trouble adjusting to the sound of S-Logic and don't see what all the fuss is about. To me, it sounds like hearing any new headphone. No one headphone sounds just like another, and manufacturer's house sounds are all different, so it was like just experiencing a new house sound. In my opinion, the HFI-700 was the only headphone I had heard that could produce speaker-like bass as well as having a pretty balanced sound.

Well, after trying a bunch more headphones since then, I'm back to Ultrasone. I've never sold that HFI-700 and never will. Instead, I am going to mod it into something grand and have purchased an HFI-780 to fill the stock Ultrasone gap. Man, this thing is everything I hoped it would be. I'm in love with Ultrasones and am so glad that they are finally breaking into the Head-Fi spotlight.

P.S. If you have not tried listening to piano on Ultrasones, you must. I think that if there is one thing that cannot be denied about Ultrasones, it is that they do piano better than any other headphones.

Jun 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #5,166 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I should contribute to the Ultrasone love. I got my first Ultrasones some time late last year. It was a used HFI-700 and it became my favorite headphone instantly. I had no trouble adjusting to the sound of S-Logic and don't see what all the fuss is about. To me, it sounds like hearing any new headphone. No one headphone sounds just like another, and manufacturer's house sounds are all different, so it was like just experiencing a new house sound. In my opinion, the HFI-700 was the only headphone I had heard that could produce speaker-like bass as well as having a pretty balanced sound.

Well, after trying a bunch more headphones since then, I'm back to Ultrasone. I've never sold that HFI-700 and never will. Instead, I am going to mod it into something grand and have purchased an HFI-780 to fill the stock Ultrasone gap. Man, this thing is everything I hoped it would be. I'm in love with Ultrasones and am so glad that they are finally breaking into the Head-Fi spotlight.

P.S. If you have not tried listening to piano on Ultrasones, you must. I think that if there is one thing that cannot be denied about Ultrasones, it is that they do piano better than any other headphones.

I've never heard the 780's or the 700's. I own the Proline 750's and if I apply your comments to the Proline 750's, I am very much in agreement with you.
One suggestion though. In your comments, state that the opinions you convey are your opinions. Otherwise, you may get replies with a somewhat to very negative tone. Believe me, I know this to be true from experience.
Regarding, specifically, your comments about musical instrument reproduction, as far as the Proline 750's go, I've never heard more accurate reproduction of musical instruments from any headphone I've ever heard than the Proline 750's. What qualifies me to make this assessment is that I have spent a lot of time with musicians hearing them play their instruments "live" so I know how they really sound, IMO.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5,169 of 5,942
When I tried to submit a post which basically had the same message as #5172, the page froze and then when the page returned to normal, my post was not there. So, I rewrote it and that re-write now appears as #5172. Then, when #5172 appeared, the original post #5171 also appeared. I deleted the text from the original post and in it's place wrote this explanation. I would have deleted this (#5171), but I don't know how. Moderator, if you want to delete this post, that's fine with me. Thank you.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #5,170 of 5,942
I have been asked on a few occasions what I thought about the idea of an Ipod "driving" the Pro750's. Having never owned an Ipod, I could not answer this question until now. A friend of mine owns an "Ipod Shuffle". She let me borrow it to find this out. I was really surprised how well the Ipod shuffle "drives" the 750. It was significantly loud at about 2/3rds of the full volume and surprisingly for an mp3 player (I think Ipod uses mp3 files?) it sounded good. It didn't sound as good as an dedicated amped source or a .wav file would sound but none-the-less, when you consider the mp3 source with no additional amping, I was truly surprised at the "strength" of the sound.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #5,172 of 5,942
Ok, cant keep silent anymore. I was recently given a pair of almost brand new Proline 750's as a demo pair, owned by a fellow Sydney head-fi'er who was interested in my APureSound V3 cable. We did a swap, he apparently had put about 20-30hrs on the Prolines before giving them to me, and I've put another 50hrs or so on them so far, a fair bit of which was spent on my head acclimitising to the S-Logic presentation. They're at about 75hrs now by my reckoning.

I've been reading through this thread throughout the week, getting some history and background on these 'phones, so I know that these Prolines should still have a fair way to go burn-in wise.

...but god damn, how can they get better?
confused.gif

Out of the box they were singularly unimpressive. At about 20hrs they were very enjoyable, but still slightly metallic and glarey. Now smoothness is emerging along with the resolution, and I must say they're very impressive. I've been in this hobby for a few years now and have heard every other brand of headphone except Ultrasone, and had thought that there were no more surprises out there above the elevated leagues of R10, Qualia, L3000 and Orpheus. Looks like I was wrong.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #5,173 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, cant keep silent anymore. I was recently given a pair of almost brand new Proline 750's as a demo pair, owned by a fellow Sydney head-fi'er who was interested in my APureSound V3 cable. We did a swap, he apparently had put about 20-30hrs on the Prolines before giving them to me, and I've put another 50hrs or so on them so far, a fair bit of which was spent on my head acclimitising to the S-Logic presentation. They're at about 75hrs now by my reckoning.

I've been reading through this thread throughout the week, getting some history and background on these 'phones, so I know that these Prolines should still have a fair way to go burn-in wise.

...but god damn, how can they get better?
confused.gif

Out of the box they were singularly unimpressive. At about 20hrs they were very enjoyable, but still slightly metallic and glarey. Now smoothness is emerging along with the resolution, and I must say they're very impressive. I've been in this hobby for a few years now and have heard every other brand of headphone except Ultrasone, and had thought that there were no more surprises out there above the elevated leagues of R10, Qualia, L3000 and Orpheus. Looks like I was wrong.

IMO, how true, how very true!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #5,174 of 5,942
Hi Ultrasonistas

I have been using the Proline 750s for 1 1/2 years now, and I like them a lot.

I recently tried them with an Apogee Duet. Does anyone here use this combination?

I found the 750s through the Duet to be unusually harsh in the treble... in a fatiguing way. (by the way, my 750s are fully burned-in.) Anyone have a similar experience?

Any suggestions? Like... maybe a recable, or an outboard amp... especially for a good price.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back