There's Something About Ultrasone…
Mar 24, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #2,701 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other issue that I have with reviewing headphones is that I really enjoy the music I listen too so much so that the I enjoy it with just about any headphone I use at the time.

Amen to that! I think it's rather difficult to be an "equipment reviewer" when I'm just a plain, old fashioned, "music lover." I've got a couple of different headphones, and they all tend to sound pretty good after a few minutes to adjust to their particular sound signatures. But it is fun to be able to swap out once in a while...or often.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #2,702 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what are those considered usual problems of the closed heapdhones??? IMHO mainly all the best heapdhones I have heard, are all closed, IEM are also closed or at least close the ear channel in some way...

Most closed headphones I've heard (and I've heard many), often exhibit strange sonic abberations (boomy bass, wonky midrange, wierd reverb, to name a few) that seem to be a result of (but not exclusively stemming from) unported rears of their drivers.

Since there are more pleasant sounding open headphones than closed in the world (again, IMO), creating a proper closed can is apparently a big challenge to headphone designers. This is strange to me, as I agree that the main purpose of headphones is isolation, so you'd think that designers & engineers would spend more resources creating better closed versions. Also perplexing to me is the fact that some of the best headphones ever are closed. Where's the "trickle-down"?

IEMS don't possess the same kind of air chambers outside the ear that a standard closed headphone would, so the same problems don't occur there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, it has some fla errr limitations that 2500 doesnt have, despite having exactly same drivers, no?

Well, my actual experience with the 2500 is rather limited, and was not a particularly good one (as can be read in the earliest parts of this massive thread). And the 750's have already broken many of my previously held assumptions regarding closed cans. So I will refrain from making any judgements or proclamations until I can actually compare a good sample.

Still, I am quite happy with my 750's. I never think for a single second while I am listening to music that I am missing anything as a result of their closed design.

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #2,703 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen to that! I think it's rather difficult to be an "equipment reviewer" when I'm just a plain, old fashioned, "music lover." I've got a couple of different headphones, and they all tend to sound pretty good after a few minutes to adjust to their particular sound signatures. But it is fun to be able to swap out once in a while...or often.
wink.gif

Myself I'm actually the other way around. =) If a headphone colours the sound of my favorite albums even the slightest in a negative way, I'll raise a brow and go "what the..?".
Recent incident was when I listened to Mosaic by Woven Hand w/ my brand spankin' new (and albeit faaar from burned-in) 2500's, and when the vocals kicked in it was so metallic, sharp & sibilant that my eardrums were almost pierced.
Now maybe that's a pretty extreme example, but I'm just sayin'.. ; )

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #2,704 of 5,942
Quote:

And what are those considered usual problems of the closed heapdhones??? IMHO mainly all the best heapdhones I have heard, are all closed, IEM are also closed or at least close the ear channel in some way...

How about that for starters?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...95&postcount=6

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #2,705 of 5,942
I saw the movie Music & Lyrics yesterday (with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore) and there's a scene in the movie where both are on a recording studio wearing Ultrasone's Proline 650
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #2,707 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! I just put on my 2500's backwards (reversed L/R) to see if there was any major difference in sound, and they sound almost exactly like my HD650's.
biggrin.gif

I wear all headphones slightly forward and down like this
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-on...tipstricks.htm
Apparently that doesn't work well with Prolines because of drivers front and off center position.
Try to pivot headband back a little, so it touches the top of your head.
Actually included instruction recommends wearing them like that.
That aligns driver a little better with ear entrance and does help with clearing mids.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2,708 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently that doesn't work well with Prolines because of drivers front and off center position.
That aligns driver a little better with ear entrance and does help with clearing mids.

Yeah, I was guessing the de-centralized driver position had something to do with it. I'm sooo eager to hear how they're gonna sound after proper burn-in. They've definetely smoothened up a bit already, but not enough for my tastes.

And thanks for the link!

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2,709 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! I just put on my 2500's backwards (reversed L/R) to see if there was any major difference in sound, and they sound almost exactly like my HD650's.
biggrin.gif

Great! 2 high quality HP for the price of one!
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #2,711 of 5,942
I have been listening to my Mozart piano sonatas this afternoon using my Nano -->Turbo Lineout-->iBasso into my iCans.

For this music these iCans can.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #2,712 of 5,942
Quote:

I didn't find any instructions in any of my Ultrasone heapdhones, am I missign something here??? Just the CD and period...

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #2,713 of 5,942
Quote:

I didn't find any instructions in any of my Ultrasone heapdhones, am I missign something here??? Just the CD and period...

They must have known that you are way too advanced for reading it and took it out.
icon10.gif

It's actually more like a booklet with different Ultrasone models, was in my demo CD case.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #2,714 of 5,942
did you throw away the case the cd was in
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #2,715 of 5,942
Quote:

They must have known that you are way too advanced for reading it and took it out.
icon10.gif

It's actually more like a booklet with different Ultrasone models, was in my demo CD case.

I have it here but I never end reading it, as IMO it was a description of the different models, please in which page are these recos located...I'm looking for them but I can find them????
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back