There's Something About Ultrasone…
Feb 16, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #1,561 of 5,942
Blimey!!! if this thread gets much bigger it'll need its own indexing system
blink.gif

I had to go and shave twice during my first marathon attempt at reading the whole thing
eek.gif

Anyway its been well worth the effort with these 2500's,i've had them running non stop for eight day's including LOT'S of listening time.
I've used white-pink-yellow-and purple noise,dipped them in castor oil and rubbed them down with a mix of vinegar and lemon juice,and now consider the sound as ripe as it's likely to get
wink.gif

I just love em!
On a serious note i think their a lot more transparent than when fresh out the box[and i thought they sounded very good then] the extra transparency is what makes the mid's and upper frequencies seem to open up IMHO.
They rock damned fine as well as handle any other music type i've thrown at them, even a little classical music,i'd not stereotype these with just one music style.
I even listened to a little Nora Jones last night without nodding off to sleep[well two tracks to be honest] so the Prolines must be good
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #1,562 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure if it 'll work but I uploaded a binaural track.
http://rapidshare.com/files/16658019/Binaural_Demo.aif
I hope it works. For everyone listening; have fun

Neat!!! I want to hear more! Where did you get this demo? I'd like to pay this company a visit!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #1,563 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3D positioning do work great for games as well. However wearing them all day I can feel it comfort seems to be the only akilles heel so far...

Well, the comfort is not ideal but it *really* improves if you stretch out the headband. Just hold it with both hands, placing your thumbs on the center of the headband (where it says the name of the headphones) and pull up on the sides with your other fingers. Be gentle and it should be fine.

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #1,564 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news, ldj! You have definitely entered the Ultrazone!
750prolinebx3.png

Yes, certain recordings definitely bring out the effect more than others - much to do with the stereo phase information retained in the mixing process, I believe. Some mixes seem to destroy this info - probably by panning instruments to different positions... just musing there, though, I don't know for sure. What I do know for sure is that these reproduce any stereo X-Y recordings or binaurally recorded ones with amazing positional accuracy! So, my guess for many of the recordings that stand out most is that they likely used one of those stereo mic'ing techniques somewhere during recording. I'm experimenting next week with some mixing tricks/techniques using delays of 10-30 microseconds that I hope will replicate/synthesize this technique so I can play around with such "holographic" sound placement in my own recordings. (Such delays between left and right channels can be used to create a "panning" effect without using traditional volume panning, and the pinnea is the main tool for picking up subtleties for positional references, so it probably is going to be more complex than simply that.) I was especially intrigued by a couple recordings on the Ultrasone Demo CD that clearly reproduced the sound as if it came from slightly behind me - the fireworks recording in particular, the first track, and one of the chorale tracks, too. In those, I was definitely experiencing "surround sound" effects!

Make note of more recordings you experience this with and let us know, perhaps! Have fun!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Terry,

I can't comment with any authority on the micing techniques of the for the Ultrasone effect. But what you write makes sense to me. I'd love to hear the results of your experimentation, as that might give clues as to what type of music style to look for. If what you suggest is true, I would think that live recordings would be likely candidates to have more vs less of the U. 3D effect. Also acoustic and more natural, less complexly "produced" music (except orchestral, which often can be recorded stereo miced) seems like other good candidates.

Also on my "reference" cuts by America, there seems to be a "hall" type of reverb, as well as a mix where the same guitar seems to be in both L & R channels. While the U. 3D effect (or S-logic or whatever name) can be noticable at lower volumes (and this was the level when I first entered the Ultrazone) a higher, but not excessive, volume seems to make it more noticable for me. It allows the lower signal instruments and details to have a greater presence. Even when the "U. 3D effect" is not so apparent, the overall sound presentation is excellect. Each instrument/vocal seem to have its own space without "stepping on" the other sounds around. From what I know of recording, this is often achieved in mixing (especially with sonically dense music with a lot of layers) via panning and the use of EQ to give the instruments separation. Maybe some of the difference is due to an original mix that used less EQ and hense didn't alter as much the dynamic range of the instrument, and the Ultrasones are able to convey that level of detail without muddying the sound. again, I'd love to hear the results of your experimentation on reproducing this sound

For All,
I'm too new in the Ultrazone to have a lot of experience yet. That's one of the reasons I asked in my post if, after full burn in, this effect is present in most music selections? Ok folks, especially those with fully burnt in HPs, is the special Ultrasone 3Dish sound stage something that happens all or most of the time? Or does it seems to be especially noticable on certain cuts and certain types of music.

Just musing here.

Laurence
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #1,565 of 5,942
Several pages ago, someone congratulated Dex for having reached 1,000 posts and suggested that he had spent them all on this thread! I've just done a quick search and the current number is actually 311 very well informed and entertaining posts by Dex in this thread! Always nice to 'meet' someone who knows his passions and has something to say about them!

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #1,566 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several pages ago, someone congratulated Dex for having reached 1,000 posts and suggested that he had spent them all on this thread! I've just done a quick search and the current number is actually 311 very well informed and entertaining posts by Dex in this thread! Always nice to 'meet' someone who knows his passions and has something to say about them!

Thanks for that, Wayne, I was actually wondering about the exact number myself and now you've saved me the trouble!
wink.gif

Of course, a thread such as this one could never sustain itself through one person blathering on with himself, so I'm grateful to everyone here for their information, curiosity, impressions, kindness, and enthusiasm that makes it so very easy to soldier onward!
smily_headphones1.gif

Occasionally, I've received PMs expressing concern that this thread has veered off-topic, for one reason or another. But I'm never terribly worried; although it certainly began more specifically, the only topic that I can discern these days is Ultrasone.

So it has evolved, really into less a thread per se, and more toward a free-form blog with multiple contributors discussing all things Ultrasone. So if folks decide to entertain each other with pre-burn-in fantasies, no problemo, someone's gonna come along soon enough with a question or an impression.

I can leave this momentary reflective mood only by applauding Ralph's brilliant recent summary way back on page 69 (gosh, we do need an index!
tongue.gif
) and we would all do well to heed his admonition that we remain part of the larger Head-Fi community and as such this thread/blog/whatever exists only at its pleasure:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph
...while I do feel that the Ultrasone is one of the better headphones I can well understand how others may prefer the sound of some of the other headphones. It's a big world out there and there is plenty of room for many different but very good headphones to coexist in peace and harmony.

Dex
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #1,567 of 5,942
I received my new Proline 650's yesterday and have 14+ hours of playing time on them now, the last 2 hours of which I listened to them.

First impressions:
- It's a nice package and includes a lot of accessories.
- The blue plastic of these cans makes it look like a toy.
- The earpads sqeak a little if I move the cans around while on my head. The squeaking stopped once I stopped fiddling with them.
- It is too tight on my head, but I'm sure it will loosen up.
- I watched the movie "The Matrix" with it, which I've seen more than a few times; however this time was surprisingly different. The movie was MUCH more involving, exciting and realistic, definitely not as though I was just watching "The Matix" again. It was like I was in the front row or even in the movie, a new and fun experience.

The Proline 650's look like they will be my HP of choice for action movies. The spaciousness of the sound reminded me of my former A900's. I did not notice a surround sound effect (edit: it was a 2-channel source, not DD 5.1). The bass was surprisingly good, taught and defined, but I found myself wanting more. My EQ was still adjusted for my 650 Senns. Dialogue and sound effects in the movie were very good. I look forward to using my new Proline 650's with my Marantz 1060 integrated amp this weekend and with new EQ settings. I expect this and more burn-in time will improve the bass, dialogue and sound effects. I really was not expecting this level of performance and had been wondering if I chose the right Ultrasones. I am now sure I have. Thanks to all who have posted here, which helped me choose the Proline 650's.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #1,568 of 5,942
Glad for you that you like them
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass was surprisingly good, taught and defined, but I found myself wanting more.

What was it exactly you want more?

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #1,569 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad for you that you like them
eggosmile.gif

What was it exactly you want more?

Thanks. I want more volume to the bass, which I expect to be able to adjust to my satisfaction with controls on my 1060 Marantz integrated and equalizer. I have yet to use my 1060 integrated, and for this movie I used my 1060B integrated. I left the settings of my 1060B Marantz integrated and equalizer the same as what I have them set for my HD650. I assume more burn-in time may change the sound so I will hold off on attempting any adjustments until the weekend. I didn't mean to imply the bass of the Prolines is lacking. I just need to get my equipment adjusted from my HD650's to the Prolines. I will follow up with more impressions later this weekend.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #1,571 of 5,942
I, unfortunately, may have been one of the pms sent to Dex
about the Ultrasone thread going off topic. I want to apologize
to him as this is clearly not the case. It is a wonderful thread
almost entirely due to his marvelous efforts and passion. It
will not happen again. Wayne

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #1,572 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After more than 300 hours UE7 and UE9 sound the same.

Well they are supposed to sound the same, they share the same everything...I think that the differences Rudi heard are more due to the re-cable he got on his Edition 7, which makes the highs to sound a little more harsh...
One more time, be aware that to recable a heapdhone is not always for better....Sometimes the manufacturers do take into consioderation the cable used...BTW in my UE9 the cable is made by Oehlbeck (or whatever this name is written on the cable) and it is a very good cable, the sound is very nice...

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #1,573 of 5,942
I'm having a huge problem with my Proline 750's. I like them so much, it's bothering me I didn't go for the 2500...
icon10.gif

I was listening to Era's "Ameno (Remix)" last night. I use this song as one of my preliminary test songs, along with Tool's "Lateralus". The S-Logic effect is much more subtle with Tool, but with the Era track, the effect is night/day with other cans. Never heard such airness and depth in any other song I've heard with the 750's yet. The chorus, which with other cans always seems right behind the lead vocals, is pushed back a bit and really creates that nice 3D effect. The pairing male/female leads are both separated clearly left to right. Everything else sounds as it should, nice balance through the spectrum.

I've sold alot of cans in the few years I've been here (the 2200 being the last). If I do ever sell the 750, it would only be to purchase the 2500, or, if I am ever insane enough, an Edition 9
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #1,574 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a huge problem with my Proline 750's. I like them so much, it's bothering me I didn't go for the 2500...
icon10.gif

I was listening to Era's "Ameno (Remix)" last night. I use this song as one of my preliminary test songs, along with Tool's "Lateralus". The S-Logic effect is much more subtle with Tool, but with the Era track, the effect is night/day with other cans. Never heard such airness and depth in any other song I've heard with the 750's yet. The chorus, which with other cans always seems right behind the lead vocals, is pushed back a bit and really creates that nice 3D effect. The pairing male/female leads are both separated clearly left to right. Everything else sounds as it should, nice balance through the spectrum.

I've sold alot of cans in the few years I've been here (the 2200 being the last). If I do ever sell the 750, it would only be to purchase the 2500, or, if I am ever insane enough, an Edition 9
very_evil_smiley.gif

IAMI,

I have both the Proline 750s and the Proline 2500s and I really think that you're chasing after something which just isn't there in wanting to get the 2500s in order to improve on the sound of the 750s. The headphones are extremely similar in almost all respects including their sound. In fact I would go as far as to say that the major difference between the two models comes down to one's personal preference between the sound and feel of open (2500s) versus closed (750s) headphones.

If anything I would suggest that you hold onto the 750s and if and when you can spare the money then get a pair of 2500s. Or at least see if you can borrow a pair of 2500s just to hear what I'm talking about.

Although Dex uses the 2500s as his primary headphone there are quite a few other Ultrasonistas who use the 750s as their main 'phone. I for one use the 750s as does Terry. In addition, the Edition 9 is a closed design.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #1,575 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although Dex uses the 2500s as his primary headphone there are quite a few other Ultrasonistas who use the 750s as their main 'phone.

Agreed. At their high level of performance, choosing between the 2500 and 750 is like choosing between beloved siblings. My slight preference for the 2500 in certain circumstances does not lessen the joy I get from strapping on the 750 in others, and I can understand entirely how someone else might prefer the opposite.
750prolinebx3.png
750prolinebx3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back