There's Something About Ultrasone…
Jan 23, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #481 of 5,942
Quote:

But I would like to add my own huge shout-out to our Bosnian friend miroslav (who doesn't post here nearly often enough), for blessing us with his astounding collection of custom Ultrasone smilies:

You guys are doing a wonderful job in fueling the fire of Ultrasone desire and it feels so good to see such a dynamic, vivid and funny Ultrasone topic as this one. Back in the days when I got my HFI-650s, there were very few people on the board one could discuss these German headphones with, so I went silent and just enjoyed my phones in the meantime. But the gang is obviously growing and I`m keeping my eye on this topic nowdays even though I don`t post much. It will probably change when I upgrade to 750 PROlines some day.

As for the smilies - it would be an understatement to say that I`m glad to see them all over the place - in your posts, signatures, avatars.. I guess this is my most serious contribution to the Head-fi community so far.
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #482 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks you guys, we got a couple of more addicts, you and James.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Whah? Did you say something? I couldn't hear you because I was too busy listening to beautiful music. No time to talk.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #483 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the HFI 2200 ULE be a good replacement to my Senn. 580 or do I have to go the extra 100.00 to the 2500?

I own both, LTUCCI, and I must say that the HFI-2200 ULE are easily my most "fun" pair of Ultrasones. Not only do they look retro-fabulous, they are warm and lush, ever so smooth at both low and high frequency extremes, and as such are perfect in my desktop system which I mainly use with my iPod running files in AAC. So they are absolutely unfussy about source quality.

However, as I note from your signature that your HD580s have been upgraded both with better cables and grills, I suspect that you are not one to p*ssyfoot around when it comes to ultimate sound quality.

In this case, the extra $100 for the PROline 2500s would easily be money well-spent, as they are truly reference-quality in every regard, with far better detail retrieval and bass extension with top-quality source material than the 2200s are able to muster.

Of course, the usual burn-in caveat of a minimum 150-200 hours applies, but the rewards are vast!

Here's hoping you decide to stick around with us awhile!
wink.gif
750prolinebx3.png

Cheers, Dex

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #484 of 5,942
I just got home from 8Th ST music store in PHILA with the PROline 2500.
Out of the box they sound just terrible. Unlistenable so to the burn in for 8 days.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #485 of 5,942
Did I mention that B&H Photo has pretty good prices for the PROlines? You have to click on the "email a better price" link to get it (NYer's pay state sales tax too
mad.gif
).

My feeling is that given the recent surge in positive reviews & commentary, if other vendors offered better discounts off of list price, people might be more inclined to try them against similiarly priced headphones.

Imo, there is no competition in the closed-headphone market right now to the PROline 750 (except perhaps the E9, which I haven't heard yet). For open headphones there are more choices, but if you wish to experience a different type of headphone presentation, and have a little patience for the extensive burn-in (125 hours or so), new buyers owe it to themselves to try the Ultrasone PROlines for an extended audition (I don't recommend judging based on quick auditions in stores or at a meet with lots of ambient noise). Also, check the screw-on cable
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #486 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo, there is no competition in the closed-headphone market right now to the PROline 750 (except perhaps the E9, which I haven't heard yet).

Does that include the AT woodies, i.g. W5000, in your opinion?

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #487 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, imo. I have owned the W2002 & the W1000's, now both sold off. I've listened to the L3000's at many meets w/various levels of associated gear and found them too bassy & not sufficiently resolving (I know there are many differing opinions here). The W5ks were not much better than the W1k's, imo. I liked the 10VTG's the best.

The 750's kill the all A-T's on quality, extended bass alone. The S-Logic imaging is a whole 'nother thing. Not everyone takes to it, but if you do...
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #488 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even if it did, the W5000 is nearly twice the price of the 750, so it SHOULD be better. And considering the fit/sound signature issues of the W5000, not everyone might find it to be so. The W1000 certainly LOOKS nicer than the 750, but based on what I heard, the 750 is probably the better sounding headphone, both at about the same price point.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #489 of 5,942
jpelg
WOW you saved my day. I didn't know the cable was a screw on. I just put it in and had a very bad connection. So now I screwed in the cable and wow what a hugh difference. Thank you for mentioning the screw in cable. I thought the cans were defective at first.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #490 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got home from 8Th ST music store in PHILA with the PROline 2500.
Out of the box they sound just terrible. Unlistenable so to the burn in for 8 days.

Yes, my experience exactly. It's a long and arduous burn-in process, but the metamorphosis is akin to a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis.

Welcome aboard!
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #491 of 5,942
Well as aways out of the box after I screwed in the cable I am just floored by these cans. I mean they have it all. Sound, comfort, great for music. I listen to Pink Floyd and just wow. I also put some of my recorded movies on my tivo and I put the very bass heavy stuff on and the cans had no problem playing it. I am thrilled by the 2500 and like them out of the box just as they are. With burn in I will most likely fall in love with them. LOL.

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #492 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, imo. I have owned the W2002 & the W1000's, now both sold off. I've listened to the L3000's at many meets w/various levels of associated gear and found them too bassy & not sufficiently resolving (I know there are many differing opinions here). The W5ks were not much better than the W1k's, imo. I liked the 10VTG's the best.

The 750's kill the all A-T's on quality, extended bass alone. The S-Logic imaging is a whole 'nother thing. Not everyone takes to it, but if you do...
750prolinebx3.png

Wow! I have to disagree, actually for me it was quite the opposite
biggrin.gif

I owned the 750 just a few month ago and while they were fun, they were no match for the W5000 or the L3000 which i own now too. They were 2nd hand and i burned them in for another 200hours. The bass was just too much and annoyed me after some time. L3000 is worlds ahead. Honestly i feel the L3000 is actually what Ultrasone wanted to acheive with the Proline 750 (in bass)
wink.gif
The L3000 also is more natural sounding.
The other problem with the 750s s-logic soundstage is that though it has a great crossfeed like projection, EVERYTHING is far from you, there is no real stage like drums playing behind the singer but the drums and singer have the same distance from you. And otherwise the soundstage wasnt that refined.

But for the price these are THE closed cans to get, thats such a nobrainer. They have a great clarity and natural sound in itself (if you can tolerate lots of bass).
A great bargain imho.

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #493 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All:

I'd just like to take a minute and thank all the posters to this thread who had a hand in influencing me to make one of the wisest and most satisfying audio purchases of my entire life: the Ultrasone Proline 750 headphones.

Thanks go out in profusion to:

Dexdexter ("Maybe I'm just a medieval sort of guy..." - who started it all!),
ralphp@optonline ("that's not mud, that's the bottom end that most other headphones leave out"),
Sovkiller (Stalwart Defender of the Truth and Fearless Keeper of the 'Phones!),
Kees (who kept trying to confuse me a little there at first!),
Iron_Dreamer (just for being the metal-head representative here!),
themick ("It really does take some time to get used to the sound, and then once you do its hard to go back to regular headphones (at least for me)"),
superman's ears ("The Proline 2500 sounded bad to me - new out of the box. But after a burn-in they have changed in a way I never thought it will be possible"),
carl ("No! No agreeing on Head-fi, I won't allow it!"),
wmcmanus ("Might you be suggesting that it would be more helpful to actually listen to them instead of studying the curves?"),
carl again ("Nah... that's just too crazy, even for us."),
bizkid ("...I'm surprised, very pleasantly surprised! I can't understand why they don't have a bigger following here on head-fi." and "ps: from a price/quality ratio point of view this is the BEST can I owned my whole head-fi career."),
benjamind (for his own fine review and his reference to the review at Radio World Online),
Lusamars ("...sometimes i feel amazed how deep the bass can go"),
and jpelg (who kept me reading more posts!)

It took me till page 12 to finally buy my own pair and to get started burning them in! Two weeks of having to be patient... REALLY patient!
...but what a worthwhile wait! (Really... believe it - the burn-in has a genuinely miraculous effect, smoothing these headphones into a sweet groove that is something to behold!)

Thanks again to all of you for holding out and defending, reviewing, and explaining "what was up" with these amazing newcomers from Germany. I would never have heard of them... till I blundered into this thread quite by accident!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Thanks Terry for thinking of me and all those other people you mentioned in your post. I really enjoy reading Dex's posts, his writing has such a "friendly" style to it that one can't help but be drawn in by his good natured enthusiasm. He's always manages to be so positive about the things he enjoys without ever being the least bit negative about anything else, something that's all to rare these days.

I'd like to add a name to the list of quality posters: MaZa

Another metal head who is making me rethink my entire opinion of metal heads. His posts, both on this thread and elsewhere, are always right on the money, clear, concise, insightful and helpful. At present he still seems to be sitting on the fence but I believe that he is slowly coming around. Perhaps it is only his remote location (Finland) and difficulty in getting to hear the Ultrasones before putting up the cash that is keeping him from becoming a fellow Ultrasonista!!

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #494 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I have to disagree, actually for me it was quiet the opposite
biggrin.gif

I owned the 750 just a few month ago and while they were fun, they were no match for the W5000 or the L3000 which i own now too. They were 2nd hand and i burned them in for another 200hours. The bass was just too much and annoyed me after some time. L3000 is worlds ahead. Honestly i feel the L3000 is actually what Ultrasone wanted to acheive with the Proline 750 (in bass)
wink.gif
The L3000 also is more natural sounding.
The other problem with the 750s s-logic soundstage is that though it has a great crossfeed like projection, EVERYTHING is far from you, there is no real stage like drums playing behind the singer but the drums and singer have the same distance from you. And otherwise the soundstage wasnt that refined.

But for the price these are THE closed cans to get, thats a fact. They have a great clarity and natural sound in itself (if you can tolerate lots of bass).

Should of had them recabled!!! Really helps to control the bass.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #495 of 5,942
hey guys, seems like this is the ultrasone thread instead of the other one. anyway, i have/had been searching for some review but there just aren't many. i ordered some hfi-550 anyway. they've been great out of the box. the best i got out of my portable cans. i think i can stop searching for quite some time now....i hope
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back