There's Something About Ultrasone…
Dec 20, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #226 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are either very good or very lucky. i destroyed several akg cables trying to salvage a connector for the ultrasones. "no picnic", you are not kidding. anyone that wants to try this, realise what you are in for.

Well, neither actually, m_m, it just took some patience and care not to cut too far into the connector at any one pass with the blade. Once I got into the layer of epoxy, I was able to peel back the surroundings without inflicting any damage.

If you have the courage to try again, you will undoubtedly succeed.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #227 of 5,942
I got the 750's today
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll let you know my first impressions shortly, but I'll give them some time to burn in first.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #229 of 5,942
Dec 23, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #231 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you intend on changing your avatar ?

I will tell you in a few days, but for now all i can tell you that the avatar will include the Edition 9 as well.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #232 of 5,942
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you guys have gone and done it again - created another convert! Based on the enticing controversy surrounding this headphone, I went ahead and picked up a pair at Music Loft of Greensboro, NC. John Parker, one of their very wise music technologists, is mad about the Proline 650s he owns as well, and so he was all warm and fuzzy seeming watching a pair of 750's going out his door! (He had a subtle and funny reaction to my question about the returns policy - kind of clearly saying to himself inwardly, "That isn't going to become an issue, believe me!")

If you want to indulge in an appreciation thread - here's one you may enjoy:

http://www.djdeals.com/ultrasonePROLINE750.htm

Scroll about a third of the way down for the short review synopsi to begin.

And here's couple more from people in my "other" industry:

[HFI 650] http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=24069
[Proline 750] http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=32195
[Proline 750] http://www.rwonline.com/reference-ro...rasone_2.shtml

These have already astonished me, and they are not broken in a single nit. Maybe I'm easy to amaze? I don't think so!!! :wink:

Thanks for your stalwart support of this headphone - you'll see me around here more often. On my home system and in the mixing console these are quite amazing! (There's that "amazed" thing being mentioned again!)

BTW - I am getting good results from my little iPod Nano with these headphones after having applied aacgain.exe (driven by mp3gain.exe) at a target setting of 83. The lower input levels allow me to push the amplifier stages a little harder, pushing more current and better matching low impedance phones. This trick also has worked wonders for my Shure E4c's, and it allows me to EQ on the Nano without suffering from distortion. Check my post in another area for more details:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...6&postcount=77

Anyway - thanks for getting me to part with some cash towards an excellent investment! Finally I can mix with confidence over headphones!

Terry

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #233 of 5,942
Dec 28, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #235 of 5,942
Hiya Terry,

Welcome to the ever-expanding ranks of the Ultrasonistas!

Here is your official unofficial smiley:
280smile.gif

Use it well and use it often. (Actually, it was originally an HD280 smiley, but we have stolen it to suit our nefarious purposes!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These have already astonished me, and they are not broken in a single nit. Maybe I'm easy to amaze? I don't think so!!! :wink:

I hope you are in mega-burn-in mode, 'cos you will reap vast sonic rewards after 150-200 hours!

Congratulations!
280smile.gif

Generalissimo Dex

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #236 of 5,942
Yes, I am performing the mega-burn-in - just running a randomized playlist containing my entire collection through them non-stop.

I am concerned a little because the CD that came with the headphones had distortion in a few places, most notably the piano piece crescendos (might be the players breathing or a bench noise or something...) and the xylophone item (track 14) during the glissando at 1:30. Definitely sounded like digital distortion (hard left) but I'm watching for distortions now, and will check those pieces again after some burn-in!

So, the ultrasoneusa.com forums have been up that long and nobody posts to them?! Geesh! Well, better to post here, anyway! But at least a link should be there pointing people to head-fi.com!

Terry

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #237 of 5,942
Quote:

I am concerned a little because the CD that came with the headphones had distortion in a few places, most notably the piano piece crescendos (might be the players breathing or a bench noise or something...) and the xylophone item (track 14) during the glissando at 1:30. Definitely sounded like digital distortion (hard left) but I'm watching for distortions now, and will check those pieces again after some burn-in!

Relax, Terry, it takes around 150 hours for the treble on the titanium-plated PROlines to loosen-up and become supple. Best to avoid any critical listening until then. Hang in there!
280smile.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #238 of 5,942
I've been leaving it overnight with pink noise (alternating between weighted and unweighted) and also just letting the iPod Nano run a widely variied playlist all day. Something has definitely happened to them!!! I was able to happily listen to them for about four hours yesterday afternoon without a single complaint. They sound good on a huge range of material. So, I will be amazed to hear them sounding even better in five days or so! Any peakiness to the highs is gone, and the bass is rounder and fuller already. So, the 48 hour burn-in time recommended as minimum by my dealer was right on the money. They really did clean up very noticeably after the 48 hours of burn-in had occurred. I am feeling rather happy!

With classical and other live recordings, the S-logic design really stands out. The instruments stand in a very definite 3-dimensional soundstage that is both wide and deep. I listened to some binaural field recordings also, and with those these are simply remarkable. So, I excitedly look forward to their performance "improving with age" as they continue to burn in for another 150 hours or so!

Thank you for directing me to these wonderful headphones. Their sound is what I was looking for exactly. I had just these features in mind as I began my quest for 'phones, and I'm very gratified that head-fi was able to fulfill my "quest"! Thank you, fellow Ultrasone fans, for your willingness to try on the "new kid on the block" with this relatively little-known German brand. I'm glad I gave them a try! I certainly would never have even known to seek these out had it not been for your enthusiasm!

Terry

(Drat, Sovkiller! The Edition 9's put these Proline 750's down, do they??? That's simply incredible!!! But at least there is an upgrade path for me - from perfection to "more perfect!" Aaargh!!)

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #239 of 5,942
Well a little bit down...
very_evil_smiley.gif
....maybe more a matter of personla taste the Edition 9 is more CD3K like in the sound forward, present, withoput loosing the Ultrasone taste, but it is a forward heapdhone, right now after two days more i feel them more smooth, so do not trust that idea the 48 hours, and give them more time...anyway you have to...no other choice...

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #240 of 5,942
Quote:

With classical and other live recordings, the S-logic design really stands out. The instruments stand in a very definite 3-dimensional soundstage that is both wide and deep. I listened to some binaural field recordings also, and with those these are simply remarkable. So, I excitedly look forward to their performance "improving with age" as they continue to burn in for another 150 hours or so!

Nice one, Terry. Just another 100 hours or so and you'll be laughing with all the improvements!
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back