There's Something About Ultrasone…
Mar 2, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #2,251 of 5,942
I like your comments ldj... I would gladly trade your un burned in cans for my burned in lol.

I think mine was more forward and engaging prior to the burn in process as well
smily_headphones1.gif

But hopefully the Heed can fix that a bit.

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #2,252 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by z00ne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to both of you! I will forget modding now ... and concentrate on music, just this 200hours makes me nervous again
750prolinebx3.png
see ya

It'll be over before you know it and then there will be nothing else but Love!!!

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #2,253 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by aps1ngh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe I've never asked this question, but how much does an amp change the sound quality and presence in Ultrasone headphones? And specifically, how much does it effect the bass?
When I do purchase some Ultrasones, a matter of when, and not if, I'm planning on getting either a RS Hornet, or the new LaRocco amp, coming soon, (both simple, small, and powerful solid state amps; I don't have the money, time, or expertise to buy/experiment with tube amps).
I've never ever listened to headphones amped before. My only experience has been sr60s through my powerful soundcard (Audigy II platinum ZS) which I heard is decent amping. Even still, I heard sr60s are uneffected by amping so it doesn't really matter.
May. =|

For me the difference with and without an amp was really big!! With an amp the bass goes much deeper and has much more detail. The overall soundqual improved significantly. I got more detail in every part and it sounded more wide than they did without an amp. So go get one IMO!!!
It does sound good without an amp but mucmuch better with one!!

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #2,254 of 5,942
Quote:

When I do purchase some Ultrasones, a matter of when, and not if, I'm planning on getting either a RS Hornet, or the new LaRocco amp, coming soon, (both simple, small, and powerful solid state amps; I don't have the money, time, or expertise to buy/experiment with tube amps).

The PROline 750 & 2500 benefit tremendously from proper amplification and the two that you're considering should handily fit the bill from everything I've read about them.

Since they are low-impedance at 40 Ohms, they will respond to plenty of current, which will be easily noticed by increased bass extension, additional dimension in soundstage, and a definite ease of drive resulting in a feeling of complete assurance as one handles the volume knob.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #2,255 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
60 hours was about all I could manage without getting evicted, so I suppose any longer would have qualified as "too much"!
wink.gif

I'm telling you you, you need to do the pillow mod. Then you can keep the wife.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #2,256 of 5,942
Quote:

I can't believe I've never asked this question, but how much does an amp change the sound quality and presence in Ultrasone headphones? And specifically, how much does it effect the bass?

I've never ever listened to headphones amped before. My only experience has been sr60s through my powerful soundcard (Audigy II platinum ZS) which I heard is decent amping. Even still, I heard sr60s are uneffected by amping so it doesn't really matter.

I'm a total noob but I trust my ears and I've listened to HD497s, sr60s, the senn 280s, and the sr325i. So far, the sr60s have been my absolute favorite (and sounded like they had more bass than the 325i, as I'vesaid a million times, most like due to the fact that I didn't the sr325 proper burn in). When I pm'ed Kees about a month ago asking him what headphones sound like Grados augmented with insane bass, he said immediately, Ultrasone PROLine 750/2500. Hopefully they deliver. I'm anticipating them so much because I'm using bad headphones to get by for now, and they aren't anywhere close to the awesomeness of my sr60s (that I broke).

May. =|

I have an Singlepower Extreme Platinum (moderately expensive tube HP amp) and a Hornet. The Singlepower is better, but the Hornet holds its own very well. So I paid approx 4X as much to get a "whiter white" (reference my earlier post of earlier today) with the SP. The Hornet does very well and is a good sounding and versatile amp.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #2,257 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm telling you you, you need to do the pillow mod. Then you can keep the wife.
wink.gif

Wow, luckily I don't have a wife and am one myself...I feel blissed haha
tongue.gif

Listening to "Hijo De La Luna" by Mecano at the moment and wow the voice sounds so beautiful!!! The song really takes you away into a great dream..

Have to say...there was actually one moment I had just now were I didn't like wearing my hp's (never thought I would say that) but I was working in my new Dark Room, printing photos and I put on my prolines but they took you away in another world wich I didn't like at that specific time. The sounds that I (thought that I ) heard in my surrounding just totally freaked me out so bad I just had to take them off and go on without music. That was really frustrating...
mad.gif
So I am gonna check a cheap soundplayer (eeuuuhhh) to keep me satisfied with music a little..
(There will be other equip to watch at the meet haha that has nothing to do with music..Those are my truly most beautiful high-end ones
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #2,258 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Singlepower Extreme Platinum (moderately expensive tube HP amp)

Moderately expensive?
eek.gif
When are you getting the Edition 9's? They're even cheaper than the Singlepower Extreme Platinum
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #2,259 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your comments ldj... I would gladly trade your un burned in cans for my burned in lol.

smily_headphones1.gif

If you can come up with the funds to get a Singlepower Extreme Platinum, you'll get your bass back, burned in or not. When I first got the Extreme I didn't yet have the 750s only my old trusty Senn 580/600. The first think that struck me wiht the Extreme is the tightness, depth, authority, and impact of the bass/drums. In another post on amps I described it as a pleasant kick in the head, like how on speakers as good bass will thump in your chest. Other amps may bring you more bass as well. Its just that the Singlepower is getting know for this quality and I can vouch for this from experience.

Its pretty obvious to me I like a good bass, but don't consider myself a basshead. Yes my experience is that the bass lessens with a full burn in, BUT it also integrates with the other sound nicely. In fact I can't be sure that the bass lessens so much as that it integrated (as do the other sounds) so that the bass doesn't stand out separately as much. Overall, I like the fully burned in 750s more--that liquid quality I described is a bit magical. (Remember all of this is subtle shades of white vs shades of white so there is a lie in the verbal description.)

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #2,260 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moderately expensive?
eek.gif
When are you getting the Edition 9's? They're even cheaper than the Singlepower Extreme Platinum
biggrin.gif

Dear Zoide,

I hate to tell you this ( don't want you to get into the arms race in high end audio that is out there)
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
, but yes the Extreme is only moderately priced compared to where things go. I consider the expensive HP amps the be the Singlepowers and Ray Samuels B52 that get into the $3,500 to $5,000 price range. And that is chump change compared to the $15,000-$20,000 full component pre amps of the big boys. These are the guys who have 1 meter interconnects costing between $2K-$4K. This is the serious, and expensive pursuit of audio perfection
eek.gif

Lest those folks be listening (and I think we have a few of them here on Head-fi), I'd hate to seem like I was putting on airs by referring to my stuff as expensive. I hate it when people smirk at me.
wink.gif

I won't be getting the Edition 9s soon as I realized that my money was better spent to go towards the moderately expensive (really only a step up from audiophile entry level) Rega P5 turntable I bought a yesterday.

Here is the good news. I was A/Bing two turntables through speakers that cost about $17,000. I couldn't really turn it up to the head banging levels that would make those speakers really shine, so my comparision is a little unfair. But as I listened to those speakers I realized that overall I liked the sound out of my fully burned in (and functioning) 750s better than the $17,000 Vandersteens. There is just so much greater detail and clarity with good headphones. Plus there is the savings of $16,750 (and let's not even consider the cost of a power amp at that level) and the fact that the landlord won't evict. Let me tell you, compared to $17,000 speakers the Edition 9s are a real budget bargain.

Signed,
Happily Listening on 750s
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #2,262 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

"good" to hear this... now i am comparing 2500 and 2200 and think that hfi2200 are more detailed or pretty close... And you want to trade your burned for un-burned?... Great... So i am asking myself whats that all burn in staff for

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #2,263 of 5,942
bass reduced significantly after a days burn in
wink.gif
. bass is still great of course but it had more impact the first day.

I would love to get a pair of 750 not burned in so I could make a real comparison though to see how much it´s me getting used to the sound or what. Getting used to sound can have it´s negative effects as positive I imagine...

I installed my Xfi drivers and now they refuse to reinstall... Something with windows apparently had the same with my onboard audio drivers. But managed to fix that finally. Funny thing onboard realtek AC97 cheap audio is not necessarily worse then dedicated soundcards lol.

Enya sounds better with this than the X-fi lol on the 750 though the sounds feel thinner somehow. Gonna have to try the 240 as well since those totally rocked on the X-fi...

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #2,264 of 5,942
My friend had onboard ac3 sound, he sayz it sucked with 2200, and then he buy x-fi... and he is happy now...

I dont know is it source or is it me ... but i dont hear differences between 2200 and 2500 ... As i said 2200 are maybe even more detailed ... And this bass thing after burn in dont scares me because i will put rubberband if i find it to weak... I am looking foward to see other aspects of sound improoving... Till now i dont see that soundstage is bigger/better with 2500... I hope that burn in will do some improvements... And from now on - i dont care about bass

EDIT: i found that hfi2200 wasn't more detailed but are more louder at same volume level... Thats the reason i say 2200 are detailed

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #2,265 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by z00ne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend had onboard ac3 sound, he sayz it sucked with 2200, and then he buy x-fi... and he is happy now...

I dont know is it source or is it me ... but i dont hear differences between 2200 and 2500 ... As i said 2200 are maybe even more detailed ... And this bass thing after burn in dont scares me because i will put rubberband if i find it to weak... I am looking foward to see other aspects of sound improoving... Till now i dont see that soundstage is bigger/better with 2500... I hope that burn in will do some improvements... And from now on - i dont care about bass

rubber band won´t work. Not with 750 anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

as for sound quality the X-fi totally roll over it technically speaking and for 95 % of the music lol.
I have issues with mine. Thinking of an External DAC but now I am getting an elite PRO and see how that goes. Still have issues I bet all my cards on an external DAC lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back