There's Something About Ultrasone…
Mar 2, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #2,236 of 5,942
Well here I sit with my brand new out of the box 750s on my head. I explained the situation to the salesperson I work with and a replacement was not problem. So I went from fully burned in 750s,to fully burned in ones (300 hrs) that were sounding so very sweet, to fried ones, and now back to fresh out of the box.

So here are my impressions. I still like them straight out of the box. This set had less clamping and the earpads don't seem as hard and constrictive as the first new pair. So there are some obvious tolerance differences in manufacture. Most noticibly is I am back to very pronounced bass--maybe ever so slightly boomy on some cuts, especially vinyl compared the the fully broken pair. But if this bass is occassionally slightly boomy (and it just may be fuller and deeper) if is not objectionable to me, kinda fun. And the bass isn't as integrated with the rest of the music. For bassheads, if you could somehow keep your HP from burning in you might retain their heavy bass.

And I am not aware of the level of sound integration and that ever so subtle and delightful quality of the sounds moving through a very fine liquid as was so apparent with the fully burned in 750s. And because of the lessened integration , the sounds do seem to emerge suddenly and a bit startingly.

Now that I think about this presentation against the burned ones, this sound is more forward than burned in ones. Another way of describing that startingly quality is that it is as if the sounds suddenly emerge out of a black background into a smaller (both wide and deep) soundstage. This is a little hard to describe, but since I so recently had fully burned in ones to compare this sound to, I can see that when the soundstage opened up in depth it allowed the sound to emerge from a greater distance (hense the sense of being able to see the sound coming) rather than to suddenly emerge out of the black background as with the new ones. I suppose what I am describing is the presence of a wider, deeper , and more integrated soundstage that happens with burn in.

What is cool for me as I attempt to objectify my subjective world is that I can see that I had it pretty accurate to my experience, at least in what I noted for the stages of brand new vs burned in 750s. At first I was pretty bummed that after so deligently burning in the 750s for so long, I lost it all. But now I can see that this served a purpose in terms of my own education in sound descrimination. I've been able to step back in time so to speak and re-examine an earlier experience. I just had to give the experience a chance to work for me.

And for anyone new reading this, on Audio Asylum I did a post of my experience doing an A/B comparison on two quality turntables yesterday. The dealer was great and set up the two turntables with the same cartridge, sound level matched the TTs and put them throught the same signal chain. (Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, CA--great experience.) Both tables were very good yet with subtle but noticable differences.

The analogy I used was that it was like comparing difference shades of white (or black to black). These colors are very close, but side by side it is easy to spot the difference. For me that is how these SQ differences are between new vs burned in 750s. So if someone is looking for dramatically big changes (like it is somehow going to be a different HP) then you'll be disappointed and maybe miss noting the real but subtle refinements that occur as burn in progresses.

Back to the music, I am missing that subtle refined liquid but I sure am enjoying this full, deep bass. As I said in an earlier post, I really, really like Ultrasones.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #2,237 of 5,942
I can't believe I've never asked this question, but how much does an amp change the sound quality and presence in Ultrasone headphones? And specifically, how much does it effect the bass?

When I do purchase some Ultrasones, a matter of when, and not if, I'm planning on getting either a RS Hornet, or the new LaRocco amp, coming soon, (both simple, small, and powerful solid state amps; I don't have the money, time, or expertise to buy/experiment with tube amps).

I've never ever listened to headphones amped before. My only experience has been sr60s through my powerful soundcard (Audigy II platinum ZS) which I heard is decent amping. Even still, I heard sr60s are uneffected by amping so it doesn't really matter.

I'm a total noob but I trust my ears and I've listened to HD497s, sr60s, the senn 280s, and the sr325i. So far, the sr60s have been my absolute favorite (and sounded like they had more bass than the 325i, as I'vesaid a million times, most like due to the fact that I didn't the sr325 proper burn in). When I pm'ed Kees about a month ago asking him what headphones sound like Grados augmented with insane bass, he said immediately, Ultrasone PROLine 750/2500. Hopefully they deliver. I'm anticipating them so much because I'm using bad headphones to get by for now, and they aren't anywhere close to the awesomeness of my sr60s (that I broke).

May. =|

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #2,238 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by aps1ngh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe I've never asked this question, but how much does an amp change the sound quality and presence in Ultrasone headphones? And specifically, how much does it effect the bass?

The difference between using my Proline 650 amped and unamped is night and day. From an underpowered portable CD player, I wouldn't pay $20 for these cans. However, amped with a C&C Box amp from a computer, my Proline 650 seems to be driven very well. The transformation is amazing, especially the bass. My guess is the Proline 750 would benefit even more than the 650 from amping.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #2,239 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the music, I am missing that subtle refined liquid but I sure am enjoying this full, deep bass. As I said in an earlier post, I really, really like Ultrasones.

So back to square one then, yet not quite back to square one. I admire your persistence and hope that this pair behaves itself as all mine have!
wink.gif

What were the turntables you demoed?

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #2,241 of 5,942
Quote:

what's zoone modded?

Wrapping a rubberband around the earpad so it gets bit squeezed together. You can test how it affects the sound by squeezing the pad with your fingers.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #2,243 of 5,942
Quote:

what's zoone modded?

z00ne is a fellow Headfier. He found that by constricting the diameter of the earpads of his Proline 650 with rubberbands (or whatever), that the bass became more prominent. I and another Headfier soon tried this mod and found his claim to be true. I named this the z00ne mod. Others have referred to it as the rubberband mod. I used a pair of size 32 rubberbands and found that I also prefer the overall lower tonality of my Proline 650 with this mod. A few others claimed it made no difference. One need only sqeeze the earpads in a little with the thumbs and fingertips to test for the difference before going to the trouble of obtaining a pair of rubberbands. Testing for this effect in this way (edit: temporarily) changes the shape of the earpads from a circle to somewhat of an oval.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #2,244 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
z00ne is a fellow Headfier. He found that by constricting the diameter of the earpads of his Proline 650 with rubberbands (or whatever), that the bass became more prominent. I and another Headfier soon tried this mod and found his claim to be true. I named this the z00ne mod. Others have referred to it as the rubberband mod. I used a pair of size 32 rubberbands and found that I also prefer the overall lower tonality of my Proline 650 with this mod. A few others claimed it made no difference. One need only sqeeze the earpads in a little with the thumbs and fingertips to test for the difference before going to the trouble of obtaining a pair of rubberbands. Testing for this effect in this way (edit: temporarily) changes the shape of the earpads from a circle to somewhat of an oval.

sounds like a neat concept.

I want ultrasones ;-(

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #2,245 of 5,942
Ho ho ho .. well today i recieve proline 2500... just before few minutes and now i see you are talking about rubberbands mod... First thing i noticed is that they have bass strong as hfi2200 with rubberbands ... and second - i notice small difference when squeezing earpads with my hand... bass is almoust same... Interesting ... I also think that earpads are maybe little beefier/bigger, and made by another material... My friend will come to me with now his hfi2200's to compare this because i am not 100% sure...
Now again - burn in for 200 hours OMG
Thats all i want to comment for now...

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #2,246 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well here I sit with my brand new out of the box 750s on my head. I explained the situation to the salesperson I work with and a replacement was not problem. So I went from fully burned in 750s,to fully burned in ones (300 hrs) that were sounding so very sweet, to fried ones, and now back to fresh out of the box.

So here are my impressions. I still like them straight out of the box. This set had less clamping and the earpads don't seem as hard and constrictive as the first new pair. So there are some obvious tolerance differences in manufacture. Most noticibly is I am back to very pronounced bass--maybe ever so slightly boomy on some cuts, especially vinyl compared the the fully broken pair. But if this bass is occassionally slightly boomy (and it just may be fuller and deeper) if is not objectionable to me, kinda fun. And the bass isn't as integrated with the rest of the music. For bassheads, if you could somehow keep your HP from burning in you might retain their heavy bass.

And I am not aware of the level of sound integration and that ever so subtle and delightful quality of the sounds moving through a very fine liquid as was so apparent with the fully burned in 750s. And because of the lessened integration , the sounds do seem to emerge suddenly and a bit startingly.

Now that I think about this presentation against the burned ones, this sound is more forward than burned in ones. Another way of describing that startingly quality is that it is as if the sounds suddenly emerge out of a black background into a smaller (both wide and deep) soundstage. This is a little hard to describe, but since I so recently had fully burned in ones to compare this sound to, I can see that when the soundstage opened up in depth it allowed the sound to emerge from a greater distance (hense the sense of being able to see the sound coming) rather than to suddenly emerge out of the black background as with the new ones. I suppose what I am describing is the presence of a wider, deeper , and more integrated soundstage that happens with burn in.

What is cool for me as I attempt to objectify my subjective world is that I can see that I had it pretty accurate to my experience, at least in what I noted for the stages of brand new vs burned in 750s. At first I was pretty bummed that after so deligently burning in the 750s for so long, I lost it all. But now I can see that this served a purpose in terms of my own education in sound descrimination. I've been able to step back in time so to speak and re-examine an earlier experience. I just had to give the experience a chance to work for me.

And for anyone new reading this, on Audio Asylum I did a post of my experience doing an A/B comparison on two quality turntables yesterday. The dealer was great and set up the two turntables with the same cartridge, sound level matched the TTs and put them throught the same signal chain. (Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, CA--great experience.) Both tables were very good yet with subtle but noticable differences.

The analogy I used was that it was like comparing difference shades of white (or black to black). These colors are very close, but side by side it is easy to spot the difference. For me that is how these SQ differences are between new vs burned in 750s. So if someone is looking for dramatically big changes (like it is somehow going to be a different HP) then you'll be disappointed and maybe miss noting the real but subtle refinements that occur as burn in progresses.

Firstly i got worried because of this post, reason is that i like bass as it is now... In my previous post i wrote there is no differences when squeezing pads, but i didnt squeeze them enough hard... when i do, bass got stronger... And now right out of box he is really strong and nice in every aspect... Time will say if i will need this mod again or not... Other parts of sound compared to 2200's is that 2500's are brither, a bit hursher on ears, but much cleaner... and from first 30min of listening i also hear improvement in details ... But i need much more time to compare them and see all differences...

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2,248 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by z00ne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ho ho ho .. well today i recieve proline 2500... just before few minutes and now i see you are talking about rubberbands mod... First thing i noticed is that they have bass strong as hfi2200 with rubberbands ... and second - i notice small difference when squeezing earpads with my hand... bass is almoust same... Interesting ... I also think that earpads are maybe little beefier/bigger, and made by another material... My friend will come to me with now his hfi2200's to compare this because i am not 100% sure...
Now again - burn in for 200 hours OMG
Thats all i want to comment for now...

Congrats with your purchase!! I hope you are going to enjoy them for long time! About your modding-thing...first fully burn them in and if you then think you still need improvement, go ahead!!! They will give you a lot of great listening (I hope)

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #2,249 of 5,942
LDJ 325..Nice they solved it so well for you. I really hope you are going to enjoy these cans longer, that they do not get broke. It is a perfect oppurtunity though for comparing these cans - straight out of the box and burned-in.
Then you notice it wasn't between your ears but the difference is really there!
Good luck on your new journey of burning in.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #2,250 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
z00ne,

Forget about the ear-pads and rubber-bands for the time being; just burn-in those 2500s and then see what you think...congrats on the new arrivals!
750prolinebx3.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats with your purchase!! I hope you are going to enjoy them for long time! About your modding-thing...first fully burn them in and if you then think you still need improvement, go ahead!!! They will give you a lot of great listening (I hope)

Thanks to both of you! I will forget modding now ... and concentrate on music, just this 200hours makes me nervous again
750prolinebx3.png
see ya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back