THE ZMF ATRIUM!!! and other cool LTD ZMF Stuff
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #646 of 1,373
Or give them each a pointy stick and lock them in a room until only one emerges victorious.
Yeah, there could be a family feud in the future over the Atrium. It is gorgeous.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #648 of 1,373
Hurry up, Friday! I have some headphones to buy!

money-shutup.gif

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #649 of 1,373
That'd be great if someone would be willing to test the Atrium with the radial vented titan mesh (or with no mesh) with Metal music before the 1st of April :wink:
Put on the perforated titan mesh. Definitely some more bite and treble energy, especially on most of the metal tracks I listened to. A little too much for my tastes actually. I do listen to music pretty loud, and I had to dial it back some on a few tracks. Like on Celtic Frost's "A Dying God Coming into Human Flesh" I had to turn the volume down a little when the guitars kick in around the two minute mark. That wasn't the case with the solid mesh.

Hard to say how other people will respond to the differences, a lot of factors to consider. The stock mesh that will be shipped out with new Atrium's will be something in between the solid and perforated version. So that should be a great compromise for everyone.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #650 of 1,373
That's kind of my longer term plan. I'm going for a ZMF trifecta of Aeolus, Atrium and an updated Auteur. Already have the Aeolus and I may jump in on the Atrium release. Then I'll see what Zach comes up with on future Auteur versions. I mentioned earlier these will be nice heirlooms for my 3 children who love music and I think that justifies more headphones. Gotta kick the habit after that...
…you will kick the bucket before you kick the habit…😂

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #653 of 1,373
I know this was being thought of, but was it ever confirmed which mesh will 100% be the default mesh on launch?
What I said. Came straight from Zach.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #654 of 1,373
Mar 31, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #655 of 1,373
Very interesting, thanks, especially the D8000 comparison. If it is "sonically similar to the Atrium," then it would be a radical departure for ZMF.

Looking over these reviews, there's some understandable but nevertheless divergent accounts of the top end.

- You describe it as "unaccented and unexaggerated."

- @DeweyCH says the "treble may be a little less forward than some would like."

- @jinxy245 remarks that the treble is "not the strong suit of the Atrium to be sure."

I point this out because, for me, an airy and crisp top end would be the main thing that distinguishes a new/novel ZMF tuning. If it is smooth and rounded off, then it would be in keeping with the house sound. I personally would welcome a brighter sounding ZMF headphone, so if the Atrium is leaning that way, then I'm in. If it's as smooth as VC, then probably not for me.

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #657 of 1,373
Looking over these reviews, there's some understandable but nevertheless divergent accounts of the top end.
I guess opinions are different on other aspects as well. So far I understand Atrium is more analog (smoother) than Verite Open, VO is darker, warmer but more detailed and sharper. Hard to imagine, at least for me:wink:

Very interesting review by @Pharmaboy above.

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #658 of 1,373
I guess opinions are different on other aspects as well. So far I understand Atrium is more analog (smoother) than Verite Open, VO is darker, warmer but more detailed and sharper. Hard to imagine, at least for me:wink:

Very interesting review by @Pharmaboy above.
Absolutely, it's almost impossible to pin any ZMF headphone down because it depends so much on one's chain/source. Nevertheless, from this pool of diversity, general characteristics do tend to emerge in time.

I guess my main question is simple: is the Atrium ZMF's most "linear" headphone yet?

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #660 of 1,373
Very interesting, thanks, especially the D8000 comparison. If it is "sonically similar to the Atrium," then it would be a radical departure for ZMF.

- You describe it as "unaccented and unexaggerated."

- @DeweyCH says the "treble may be a little less forward than some would like."

- @jinxy245 remarks that the treble is "not the strong suit of the Atrium to be sure."

I point this out because, for me, an airy and crisp top end would be the main thing that distinguishes a new/novel ZMF tuning. If it is smooth and rounded off, then it would be in keeping with the house sound. I personally would welcome a brighter sounding ZMF headphone, so if the Atrium is leaning that way, then I'm in. If it's as smooth as VC, then probably not for me.
Treble sharpness is something that reviews are always going to diverge on because people all have differing listening habits of source, level {dB} of listening, preference of treble both subjectively and objectively (age/hearing loss), and mood and genre. Based on measurements the Atrium has an overall higher level of treble than verite, but the peaks are less. I would suggest that anyone who wants more "edge" leaves a note when purchasing that they want the brightest titan mesh installed.

We will be shipping production units with a custom titan mesh that we just finished that is perforated but not as open as the Aeolus Titan mesh. I think this final iteration will suit the vast majority of listeners. But if you feel daring enough to tweak you can always purchase the other titan mesh options with the headphone from that page in the DIY section of our site.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back