THE ZMF ATRIUM!!! and other cool LTD ZMF Stuff
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 1,373
Any further details on the differences between the old and new Auteur?
Maybe a FR chart comparison as well?
Possible to send our old Auteur for an upgrade?
Are you asking about the original Auteur vs. the Atrium or the original vs. the Auteur Classic which hasn't been released yet? I'm confused by the question since warrenpchi mentioned he'd been informally referring to it as the Auteur 2? Between this thread, the video, the site updates and multiple new models/LTD options it's a lot to digest.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #33 of 1,373
How much will the aging option be on the stock wood?
+$200

1647588478552.png

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #36 of 1,373
So this is flagship in ZMF lineup and will now compete with ZMF VC and VO. How does it compare with them? Could anyone shed some light

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #38 of 1,373
So this is flagship in ZMF lineup and will now compete with ZMF VC and VO. How does it compare with them? Could anyone shed some light
Using perforated lambskin Universe pads on both headphones, the Atrium is more neutral tuned than VO. So you've got some added sparkle and a little more treble extension. It's also more open with a very expansive sounding presentation.

Detail retrieval is close, but I'd give the nod to the Verite Open.

Bass response is definitely one of the biggest differences. The Atrium's bass is not as fast and tight as the VO, but it feels substantial and has better weight and presense. Due to the new dampening system, it also never seems to get in the way, which is quite impressive.

The Atrium's are also much more forgiving to poorly recorded music.

I really just started directly comparing both earlier today, so these are kind of rough impressions. I will say that the Atrium has been hard to put down these last few weeks. I haven't even really felt the need to swap pads, which I'm quite known for!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #39 of 1,373
I'll let the more experienced folks expand on the differences, but for me (for now at least, as my impressions keep evolving as I pad and tube swap with the Atrium) it's a bit as if the Auteur was suddenly on the same level as the Verites. Keep in mind nearly all my time with the Atrium has been with suede versions of pads (as is true with all my ZMFs) which tend to be brighter than their lambskin counterparts.

The overall sound has similarities to the Auteur, with technicalities being closer to the Verites, being more detailed than the Auteur with its own unique and expansive soundstage making it distinct from the Verites and the Auteur. Perhaps it's because it's so open and/or the new dampening, but even more than the Verites I am regularly fooled into thinking a sound is external and having to make sure it's really coming from the headphones and I didn't somehow set my computer to play through my DAC and simultaneously directly through desktop PC speakers. Occasionally there are behind the head sounds which are almost spooky, and again I've had to make sure a sound wasn't actually coming from behind me and not the headphones.

While my first impression, without any burn in or direct comparison, was that it was much like the Autuer, now having spent a couple weeks with it, comparing with the Auteur yesterday the differences seemed greater and that the Atrium was clearly on another level without making me enjoy the Auteur any less. One obvious difference vs. the Verites is getting TOTL sound that doesn't make your crap recordings sound like crap. Songs I'll just skip on the Verites because they're so revealing, sound great on the Atrium. For all those songs I know will never be remastered and sound better, this is probably as good as they're ever going to sound. There is also a punchiness to the bass (which does vary based on pads, for me the BE-2 suedes being the most so of the suedes) which is more than I've experienced with the Verites, and a quality to it which I find very gratifying.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #40 of 1,373
I'll let the more experienced folks expand on the differences, but for me (for now at least, as my impressions keep evolving as I pad and tube swap with the Atrium) it's a bit as if the Auteur was suddenly on the same level as the Verites. Keep in mind nearly all my time with the Atrium has been with suede versions of pads (as is true with all my ZMFs) which tend to be brighter than their lambskin counterparts.

The overall sound has similarities to the Auteur, with technicalities being closer to the Verites, being more detailed than the Auteur with its own unique and expansive soundstage making it distinct from the Verites and the Auteur. Perhaps it's because it's so open and/or the new dampening, but even more than the Verites I am regularly fooled into thinking a sound is external and having to make sure it's really coming from the headphones and I didn't somehow set my computer to play through my DAC and simultaneously directly through desktop PC speakers. Occasionally there are behind the head sounds which are almost spooky, and again I've had to make sure a sound wasn't actually coming from behind me and not the headphones.

While my first impression, without any burn in or direct comparison, was that it was much like the Autuer, now having spent a couple weeks with it, comparing with the Auteur yesterday the differences seemed greater and that the Atrium was clearly on another level without making me enjoy the Auteur any less. One obvious difference vs. the Verites is getting TOTL sound that doesn't make your crap recordings sound like crap. Songs I'll just skip on the Verites because they're so revealing, sound great on the Atrium. For all those songs I know will never be remastered and sound better, this is probably as good as they're ever going to sound. There is also a punchiness to the bass (which does vary based on pads, for me the BE-2 suedes being the most so of the suedes) which is more than I've experienced with the Verites, and a quality to it which I find very gratifying.
Yea, the new dampening system really creates a much more different presentation than the Auteur and the Verite. It's wide, but also has a really great vertical presence. Very engrossing.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #43 of 1,373
It's all very exciting, but I have to say that having recently bought the (now, Original) Auteur, I feel a bit conflicted. It seems like a "this version is about to be discontinued"-discount could have helped with these feelings.

I know there are about 19 business considerations that went into doing it the way it was done and the right thing was done for ZMF as a company. Just putting my feelings on virtual paper to try to feel better.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #44 of 1,373
Detail image of new screen indicates use of alien tech?

1647583787018.png 1647584002697.png
LOL that's too funny! Can't unsee it!
It's all very exciting, but I have to say that having recently bought the (now, Original) Auteur, I feel a bit conflicted. It seems like a "this version is about to be discontinued"-discount could have helped with these feelings.

I know there are about 19 business considerations that went into doing it the way it was done and the right thing was done for ZMF as a company. Just putting my feelings on virtual paper to try to feel better.
If you bought within the last month - send us an email!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #45 of 1,373
@Monsterzero promissed to make a comparison as well (above). Could You post a link to Your review once it is published? Many thanks!
Absolutely. I believe there will be a dedicated impressions thread once more can get their ears on it.
One of things that stands out to me, regarding @warrenpchi @robo24 @heliosphann impressions thus far is how we are each perceiving this headphone. While there are similarities, many things that others are hearing are not necessarily jiving with what im hearing, and vice/versa.

For example, with Uni pads and on my Glenn OTL and with specific tubes, I have had this headphone go into a "solid wall of sound" force of nature. Frankly, Ive never heard the first two Metallica albums sound better, ever. The thunderous bass, which as Heliosphann mentioned, has an uncanny way of not impeding into the mids. It's truly fantastic. Pair the bottom region up with some of the most intense mids I've yet to hear can turn this headphone into an absolute heavy rock animal.

Then when I swap to Auteur pads, the character changes, entirely. I wont even go into what the Wells Dragon Level 3 adds to the mix.

I have the above forementioned Wells Dragon here on loan from Jeff Wells, so I have two reviews coming soon, and I promise to do a more in depth explanation on how the Atrium varies vs. The VO/VC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back