The Zishan dsd's corner
Nov 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #121 of 3,711
It has been a while when I had the cayin but I remember his sound to be depth with enormous soundstage like if you were in a concert hall, it was the closest sound to an analog amp. It was great for instrumental/orchestal /vocal music. The a1 is more detailed, analytical, it has a good soundstage but not as huge as the cayin, despite beying both pretty accurate, the a1 does not color the sound as much as the other. it is more balanced overall. As far as I remember the cayin I think that in the a1 the bass is more tight and highs are more crisp mids are accurate. It fits well with all kind of music
With the a1 -and the zishan as well- don't think that is worse because the not-knowing company behind it or the lower price.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #122 of 3,711
It has been a while when I had the cayin but I remember his sound to be depth with enormous soundstage like if you were in a concert hall, it was the closest sound to an analog amp. It was great for instrumental/orchestal /vocal music. The a1 is more detailed, analytical, it has a good soundstage but not as huge as the cayin, despite beying both pretty accurate, the a1 does not color the sound as much as the other. it is more balanced overall. As far as I remember the cayin I think that in the a1 the bass is more tight and highs are more crisp mids are accurate. It fits well with all kind of music
With the a1 -and the zishan as well- don't think that is worse because the not-knowing company behind it or the lower price.

Thank you very much!
Now I can make my decision in peace.

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #125 of 3,711
Hi guys. Can anyone elaborate on dac function. How many hours battery last. Driver plug n play issue, android support etc

Thank you in advance

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #126 of 3,711
i am also interested of DAC performance.

by the way, if you plan to upgrade your zishan with any of the upgrade packs and/or the power supply upgrade (15V), better to order all together with zishan: all the upgrades are made on your stock zishan (i was totally wrong, sorry); so if you ordered the zishan first, you will have to send it to them in order to be upgraded, which carries extra shipping costs and time.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #127 of 3,711
I got my Zishan DSD today. Man, is this a tiny player - much smaller than the DX90! SQ is very good right OOB. Insane output power in "turbo mode".

It looks a bit different though - the keys are brass. Also 0.4d FW came installed.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #128 of 3,711
I got my Zishan DSD today. Man, is this a tiny player - much smaller than the DX90! SQ is very good right OOB. Insane output power in "turbo mode".

It looks a bit different though - the keys are brass. Also 0.4d FW came installed.

I am still waiting for mine.Is in Netherlands.Will need 400 hours burn in to sound best.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #129 of 3,711

If you could compare  Zishan with Xuelin ihifi990, it would be great.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #132 of 3,711
Looks like I may not be able to do the comparison. The Zishan DSD has not survived the first 24h burn-in. I just took it up only to found the system completely messed up. Screen is lit but shows nothing, after a hard reset does not work either: Starts up without SD card ok, but as soon as a micro SD is inserted (any card, also completely empty ones) screens starts flashing with binary patterns and nothing works anymore. I'll try to revive it by unplugging the battery later but am I am bit p*ssed now. This should not happen!

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #133 of 3,711
This is strange. When I put the upgrade files on an empty micro SD, do a hard reset and turn the Zishan on by pressing the power button 3 sec it does a firmware upgrade (0.4d > 0.4d, it installs the system new, interface is chinese afterwards) - so the card reader works! But even after the upgrade the problem persists, as soon as any micro SD is inserted (even the one it installed the upgrade files from before, now empty) the screen starts to display funny binary patterns and nothing works anymore, hard reset needed.

Still works as a DAC over USB. But as a mobile player it has become useless.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #134 of 3,711

What exactly is the difference in the various upgrade packages? I already have some opamps I plan on rolling in it but curious if there's any reason I shouldn't buy a $140 shipped one from AliExpress.

i know nothing about opamps, as low pass filter or I/V stage or buffer, but looking at the upgrades, you can notice some things:

1- every upgrade consist of a full pcb with dac + amp stage. so you replace that entire pcb with the upgrade, and reattach it to the other pcb in the player. most upgrades will also need a different case, because the number, position and type of outside connections and volume potentiometer are different from the stock. i guess part of the shell is provided with the upgrade, in this case. main differences are the low pass filter (LPF) and I/V stage opamps, but also other components.
this could be a good thing, because the other components of the pcb are supposedly designed to work best with the equipped opamps; but, in the other hand, they are expensive, because of the AK4495SEQ and the rest of components included (you get extra identical dac).
(to avoid this duplication, you could might contact with the seller, to prepare your zishan with your favorite upgrade, instead of the stock pcb, and pay only the difference, if any, plus customization fees, if any; this can't be set automatically from their site; in the case of buying overseas, you'll need an agent, and you'll need to coordinate them. it's up to you to try all this to save about $40, if you die for any upgrade and you don't want the stock one).

2- the only opamp provided in DIP-8 format (which can be put into a socket, and so be replaced with another DIP-8 -or others, with adaptor- opamp without soldering) is LME49720NA, used as low pass filter (LPF). you can find it in stock pcb, and in upgrade #2. so these ones are the unique where you can roll LPF opamp without soldering, because there is a socket in the pcb for it. but beware, space (height) is limited, because the two pcbs of the player are very close. besides, these pcbs share the volume potentiometer type and outside connectors, so the outer shell is the same. the difference between stock and upgrade #2 is the I/V opamp: OP275 in stock, AD797 in the upgrade (i don't know about other electronic components). the rest of upgrades require a new shell, and you won't be able to roll opamps without soldering.
curiously, the mini A1 amplifier uses that opamp, AD797, so many of us have purchased stock zishan together with this amp (which also has other features than differentiate from the upgrades amp stage). this way, you have a different amp flavor, and can use the amplifier, separately, with other gear (note than the zishan can't be used as a simple amplifier, because it has not inputs other than the usb dac). if we ever find we love any of the other upgrades, we are on time to order them (they are not expensive compared with the quality of their components).

kudos to @neog007
and @T.R.A.N.C.E.
, who had provided this info (and much more, starting with the discovering of this gem).

Sorry to hear this my friend.
As a Zishan DSD owner in few days from now i understand your pain.
Try to contact the seller and see what he has to say.I wish I can advise you more on what to do.
Let's see if other owners have some answers to this issue.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #135 of 3,711
Sorry to hear this my friend.
As a Zishan DSD owner in few days from now i understand your pain.
Try to contact the seller and see what he has to say.I wish I can advise you more on what to do.
Let's see if other owners have some answers to this issue.

thanks. i was completely wrong about my suppositions.
in order to upgrade your zishan with any of the upgrade packs and/or power supply upgrade, you have to send your device to them, and they will send it upgraded back.
to know more about the upgrades details, read @T.R.A.N.C.E.'s posts (i nsist on my observations were totally wrong).

i preferred to order a new zishan together with the upgrades, instead of sending mine (which hasn't arrived yet). so i'll own 2 zishans: stock, and full upgraded (pack #5 + 15V upgrade, but also purchased some opamps to test different combinations). i'll probably keep the one which fits better my needs, and shall sell the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back